• The KillerFrogs

Carl Knox

westoverhillbilly

My father-in-law also knew him at TCU in the 1940s and was fond of him.. It seems my father-in-law had known him before growing up in various places during the depression throughout west Texas- perhaps Colorado City if my memory serves me..

One more thing about Mr. Knox, who was a really good qb and back-up to Lindy Berry.
He threw a TD pass to put the final nail that beat #6 Texas and Bobby Layne 14-0 in 1946.
A-A Layne was so incensed that he stood in Carter with fist waving and made a speech.
"We didn't lose the game, the clock just ran out on us"-- Dutch had used a 6-1- 4 defense to throttle Bobby.
Carl Knox III commenting here again, Leap Frog, regarding that 1946 game with #6 Texas:

Longhorn Coach Dana Bible had previously turned Dad down for a spot on the Texas team, commenting Dad was so small he didn’t think Texas had a uniform that would fit. (Dad was 5’10” and only 140 lbs. at the time.)

But after the game, Dad reported Coach Bible pulled him aside and said something like, “Well, Carl, I guess I made a mistake – good game”. Dad didn’t often tell that story, but you could tell he loved it when he did.

Dad may have been small, but he was really larger than life – a real fun “Texas character”. I had an interesting childhood to say the least and, of course, it will always be a privilege to be his son.

Thanks for your interest and all the well-wishes from everyone on this thread!

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Thanks for the post, Leap Frog. I found it while checking search engines for my own name, Carl Knox III, and it's fun to see people talking about Dad.

Through the years he told me a couple things that might be fun for you to know: he said there was no wind when he kicked his 94 yarder (I had asked him with raised eyebrow); and he said the ball was so light off his foot, he barely felt it. (Sweet spot!) Also, with the extra time it took the receivers to run back and pick up the ball, Dad was able to run the length of the field and, bizarrely, make the tackle. Just one of those wacko dream-plays we love to see, that come along once in a blue moon. (I asked why he didn’t do that every game, and he had no answer…lol)
Leap passed several months after this post.

froginmn

Thanks, Brog. And if anyone's interested in the little slideshow we made up for Dad's memorial, here's a link. (TCU starts about 3:00). Thanks again for your's & everyone's love & support...

That's quite a video, and quite a story. The son of a gun, like my dad, found a way to live a long life and get out before the craziness of the last two years. Thanks for sharing this

Blessings to you and your family!

That's quite a video, and quite a story. The son of a gun, like my dad, found a way to live a long life and get out before the craziness of the last two years. Thanks for sharing this

Blessings to you and your family!
No kidding, froginmn. I'm so thankful he didn't have to face the hardships of the last two years. And that we've not had to deal with the restrictions of either parent living in a nursing home during this time (Mom's living with my sister). We are blessed...