• The KillerFrogs

Can we offer this guy..we need help at LB

peacock

Simply an unbelievale story...if his accuser does not get some sort of jail time and give back the money, there is something truly wrong our system of justice.....

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- A former high school football star whose dreams of a pro career were shattered by a rape conviction burst into tears Thursday as a judge threw out the charge that sent him to prison for more than five years.
Brian Banks, now 26, pleaded no contest 10 years ago on the advice of his lawyer after a childhood friend falsely accused him of attacking her on their high school campus.
In a strange turn of events, the woman, Wanetta Gibson, friended him on Facebook when he got out of prison.
In an initial meeting with him, she said she had lied; there had been no kidnap and no rape and she offered to help him clear his record, court records state.
But she refused to repeat the story to prosecutors because she feared she would have to return a $1.5 million payment from a civil suit brought by her mother against Long Beach schools.

HFrog1999

It's a good thing she came forward, but that stupid (insert profanity filter here) should be thrown in jail! There's no excuse for sending an innocent man to prison!

As for giving him a chance, I'd love to see him play at TCU or anywhere. That poor guy's been through hell.

Opintel

Moderators
It's a good thing she came forward, but that stupid (insert profanity filter here) should be thrown in jail! There's no excuse for sending an innocent man to prison!

As for giving him a chance, I'd love to see him play at TCU or anywhere. That poor guy's been through hell.
She needs to be smacked - really hard. That's inexcusable.

This poor guy was screwed, and his chances to ever play college football are very small. Five years in prison would probably destroy any study habits he might have had. Pity.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog

Tell that to Henry Wade...

HFrog1999

Tell that to Henry Wade...
Yeah, the Innocence Project has made me re-evaluate a lot of my beliefs on criminal justice. It's nice to think that our Police and Prosecutors get the right guys, but it appears that is is often not the case. That's a double edged sword because not only do we send an innocent person to prison where he/she endures all sorts of barbaric abuse from other inmates and guards, but the real criminal goes free to continue to terrorize the citizens.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Isn't there a rule that you have to enroll within 5 years after graduating high school to be eligible? That said, did this guy actually graduate?

I think they have to enroll before they turn 25 but I bet he could get a waiver, if not there is no age limit on lower division schools.

Hunt Together

Wouldn't that have kept Brandon Weedon from playing?

Thought about that, according to wikipedia he was drafted by the Yankees in '02 and '07. I have always wondered how he was able to play after being a pro baseball player. Not apples to apples, but I remember that dude from Colorado lost his eligibility for endorsing ski products.

AEAfrog

Thought about that, according to wikipedia he was drafted by the Yankees in '02 and '07. I have always wondered how he was able to play after being a pro baseball player. Not apples to apples, but I remember that dude from Colorado lost his eligibility for endorsing ski products.

It's probably more complicated than this, but it probably has something to do with past payments versus ongoing payments. Weeden was a past pro athlete in a different sport while Bloom was trying to maintain his endorsements and be a college athlete at the same time.