• The KillerFrogs

Can someone with a better football Xs and Os background than I explain our defensive strategy on 3rd and short?

East Coast

Tier 1
This is pretty much what we did the entire first half on 3rd and short against obvious run situations. I am not sure why the go to scheme was 3 down linemen, then everyone else at least 5 yards off the ball, including 2 linebackers 7 yards back and 3 deep safeties, unless there is some underlying reason to go about it this way.

jfzvYL1.png
Down 21 near the end of the half, and we are protecting against a long play to prevent another score, instead of aggressively trying to get the ball back. Why? You'd have to ask Sonny that question, it has to be as much his decision as our DC.

Boomhauer

Down 21 near the end of the half, and we are protecting against a long play to prevent another score, instead of aggressively trying to get the ball back. Why? You'd have to ask Sonny that question, it has to be as much his decision as our DC.

Maybe somebody could ask him tonight

FrogCop19

Based on the premise of your post, I don't know my qualifications to answer. If I'm just giving an opinion, I would say that the DC has a passive philosophy and a unilateral adherence to his base concepts that is not compatible with the multiple concepts that are employed by effective defenses in college football and is completely over his head at this level to scheme and adjust to his peers on the offensive side of the ball.
Confused Eminem GIF
Dogs GIF
March Madness What GIF by MOODMAN

Couldn't decide which one to use, sooooo...

Wexahu

What my eyes see is that the problem with our version of the 3-3-5 is that the first "3" are not effective at doing much of anything to disrupt the offense. I know I know, in this scheme the lineman are primarily there to clog things up, but you've still got to have some playmakers or you're gonna have problems.

It all starts up front with any defense. They were absolutely manhandled on Saturday.

They want the other team to score a lot to motivate our offense to score more. I figured out the secret it explains why we can’t tackle either. We give them 30 seconds when they pass too.

y2kFrog

What my eyes see is that the problem with our version of the 3-3-5 is that the first "3" are not effective at doing much of anything to disrupt the offense. I know I know, in this scheme the lineman are primarily there to clog things up, but you've still got to have some playmakers or you're gonna have problems.

It all starts up front with any defense. They were absolutely manhandled on Saturday.

Honestly, I think you need high 4 and 5 stars to win these 3 on 5 battles we are fighting. We just bull rush every down, we’re not even trying to trick anyone.

Wexahu

Honestly, I think you need high 4 and 5 stars to win these 3 on 5 battles we are fighting. We just bull rush every down, we’re not even trying to trick anyone.
It's not much of a bull rush, most of the time on passing downs our three are getting tied up and completely neutralized immediately after the snap. No collapsing of the pocket, no stunts where we might confuse a blocking scheme, just nothing but the QB having as much time as they need to throw.

There must be some sort of containment strategy there, but man is it frustrating to watch.

For me, it was the score where they threw it to the RB and he ran it all the way down the sideline for a score. Quite simply, that should never, ever happen against even a mildly competent defense. That play shouldn't score even against a DII school. That showed an utter lack of desire, skill and scheme. All three phases in failure mode.

And the worst part is that KSU knew it would work, which means we've been doing bad for a while.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
For me, it was the score where they threw it to the RB and he ran it all the way down the sideline for a score. Quite simply, that should never, ever happen against even a mildly competent defense. That play shouldn't score even against a DII school. That showed an utter lack of desire, skill and scheme. All three phases in failure mode.

And the worst part is that KSU knew it would work, which means we've been doing bad for a while.
Ouch.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
This is pretty much what we did the entire first half on 3rd and short against obvious run situations. I am not sure why the go to scheme was 3 down linemen, then everyone else at least 5 yards off the ball, including 2 linebackers 7 yards back and 3 deep safeties, unless there is some underlying reason to go about it this way.

jfzvYL1.png
It's called the:

Fck around, fck around, fck around............. Get Beat!!! Defense