• The KillerFrogs

Can someone with a better football Xs and Os background than I explain our defensive strategy on 3rd and short?

LVH

This is pretty much what we did the entire first half on 3rd and short against obvious run situations. I am not sure why the go to scheme was 3 down linemen, then everyone else at least 5 yards off the ball, including 2 linebackers 7 yards back and 3 deep safeties, unless there is some underlying reason to go about it this way.

jfzvYL1.png

Boomhauer

This is pretty much what we did the entire first half on 3rd and short against obvious run situations. I am not sure why the go to scheme was 3 down linemen, then everyone else at least 5 yards off the ball, including 2 linebackers 7 yards back and 3 deep safeties, unless there is some underlying reason to go about it this way.

jfzvYL1.png

Would love to hear JG explain the methodology here

y2kFrog

jfzvYL1.png

They only explanation I could come up with is if we actually wanted to play downhill, but we are probably back pedaling at the snap.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
There's no way they'd ever run the ball on 3rd and 3 is there? With a QB who almost exclusively runs the ball? In a situation where they were clearly totally ok with just running clock and getting into the half?

Nah, pass play all the way. And probably a deep ball.
Well to be fair, Kendal Briles wouldn’t, at least not in the red zone.

jfzvYL1.png
Easy to see why they were 10/13 on 3rd down and averaged 7.5 yds per play…

BleedNPurple

I’m thinking Coach Sonny needs to hire all of us as assistance to Coach J so we can teach him how defense works. One thing for sure is 3:3:5 defense works sometimes and then spits the bit other times.

Horny4TCU

He's scheming base 3-3-5, then refuses to make adjustments, bring pressure, or disguise coverage.

There were like 4 defensive plays in the third quarter, where he brought pressure and it worked. Then he goes back to being basic.

Everything a 3-3-5 is supposed to be good at, he throws out the window and let's the other team get 600 yards against us.

Based on the premise of your post, I don't know my qualifications to answer. If I'm just giving an opinion, I would say that the DC has a passive philosophy and a unilateral adherence to his base concepts that is not compatible with the multiple concepts that are employed by effective defenses in college football and is completely over his head at this level to scheme and adjust to his peers on the offensive side of the ball.

Horny4TCU

We clearly don't understand what is going on with the defense. What about getting help? Anyone think we could steal Tony White from Nebraska? Or what about getting an analyst named Gary Patterson (would he even entertain it)?

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass

jfzvYL1.png
It's the Joe Gillespie SAASOFH Defense. He's run it for 2 years now at TCU.

STUPID AS A SACK OF FCKN HAMMERS
It worked in the AAC...............against Univ of Temple and Connecticut

He's a football genius