• The KillerFrogs

Cameron Echols-Luper, 2013, WR and Track

As a walk-on which is what they are offering. Lots of ignorant comments in this thread and TCU has several players under basically the same conditions inc Halsey.

Seems to be becoming a trend in all the recruiting threads. The coaches have studied hours of Big 12 film and know what the needs are and who they want to fill them. This guy would be another great get out of SEC country. Do we need linebackers? Yes. But, taking a high quality athletic receiver to compete in a passing, offensive oriented conference just improves our chances for success and getting the players that we want at all positions.

Frog-in-law1995

As a walk-on which is what they are offering. Lots of ignorant comments in this thread and TCU has several players under basically the same conditions inc Halsey.

Was he not recruited by Auburn? Otherwise, bylaw 15.5.1.2 would seem to say he has to be counted if he goes there and plays in a game. Just trying to understand.

Lone Frog

Was he not recruited by Auburn? Otherwise, bylaw 15.5.1.2 would seem to say he has to be counted if he goes there and plays in a game. Just trying to understand.
I can't claim specific knowledge of most - or any - bylaws, but we have an excellent example on campus right now in Josh Doctson, if I'm not mistaken. One of his parents (his mother, I think) works for TCU, but when time came for his freshman year of college, she hadn't been here long enough for the (essentially) free tuition to kick in. So he accepted an offer from Wyoming and was there for one year before free tuition to TCU became possible. Now he's on our team, attending TCU and not counting against our scholarship limit.

Scarface

Like with many of our players, much of this is going to come down to how much Cameron wants to attend a private school. We seem to be his first choice under this criteria.

West Coast Johnny

I can't claim specific knowledge of most - or any - bylaws, but we have an excellent example on campus right now in Josh Doctson, if I'm not mistaken. One of his parents (his mother, I think) works for TCU, but when time came for his freshman year of college, she hadn't been here long enough for the (essentially) free tuition to kick in. So he accepted an offer from Wyoming and was there for one year before free tuition to TCU became possible. Now he's on our team, attending TCU and not counting against our scholarship limit.
Are the rules different for coaches children?

Scarface

It sure sounds like Auburn is trying to get this kid to walk on, at least initially. Also, AU already seems to have three wideouts in their 2013 class.

A&M is already over the scholorship limit. No real contrast between College Station and Auburn

He would only be the second WR in TCU's class. Private school in urban environment.

I feel good about it. Win or lose, I hope our coaches asked him to do the cap thing.

Genbukan

CEL would be a great get - very athletic.

Somehow I think LHCGP gets him on campus and he ends up being moved to safety. He looks like a clone of Devin Fuller to me - but with more muscle.

G

Ghost of UPub

Adding Luper, Slanina, and Storey would be a great compliment to the existing group on the roster.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog

Does not apply to academic or other non-athletic scholarships as long as available to all other qualifying individuals and athletics is not a qualifying reason. At one time you could use athletics as a qualifier and Nebraska was one of the reasons that was changed. They gave walk-on schollies to all their OL back in the day.

PurplePutt

Don't think walk-ons get the same benefits as scholarship players, i.e., no training table, no athletic dorm, etc. Not sure about that but.......?

BillupsFrog

Walk-ons can pay for the training table or they could when I was a walk-on back in 1993. We also lived in Moncrief with the scholarship players but had to pay the housing fees.