• The KillerFrogs

Calm down, now

froghair

If I remember correctly, we haven't beaten a lot of ranked teams over the past 2 years. I think that win was a big deal for this team.

froglash88

I really don’t understand how anyone gets upset about a new thread on a similar topic. We should just have one general KF.c thread. Case solved!

texas_sicilian

If losing a few for Max and team to get their groove on is what it took to whoop UT and not have to endure another year of their t-shirt fans peacocking around FW, I’ll take it.

ThisIsOurTime

Yes, it was nice we beat a pretty good team in Texas. I don't think it was worth storming the field if we beat a 2-loss team. If Texas was undefeated and ranked in the top 5, then, yeah. It was certainly encouraging considering how we looked against ISU and KSU.

That was catharsis after losing several games. Plus some of it had to do with it being UT. But really it was about seeing some good football played which there hasn't been a lot of this year.

The defense is simply looking like a second-half-of-the-season GP defense. I was never worried about the defense, he always turns it around. The defense is definitely what won the game.

I would pump the brakes on all this talk. UT was very predictable in the 2nd half with their playcalling. The fact is we still needed to bring the blitz to get any pressure on the QB. We have no pass rush from or DEs. Now, that worked against UT with Ehlinger b/c isn't the most dynamic of players but this will be harder to do against teams with more dynamic quarterbacks. UT was still able to torch us for big plays.
But the on bright side, Ben Wilson is coming back so he can provide some depth for us at LB. The healthier we can remain, the stronger this unit will be.

The offense certainly helped by actually scoring some points. But:
The offense was basically the Max Duggan show. The escape in the end zone which looked like a sure-thing safety was the best play I have seen by a TCU QB since Boykin. Several of his completed passes were within a microsecond of being sacked. I am not sure any QB we have had in the last several years could have completed some of those passes.
Yes, our offense runs thru the QB and it will only be as good as the QB play is. Duggan has to keep making the transition where he is willing to take some risks that he currently isn't comfortable in throwing. He threw an interception against UT but I was ok with it because I knew what he was trying to do. He needs to be willing to throw some passes out there to let our receivers make plays. The more he trusts in their ability to make plays, the greater progress the offense will make. The issue is more mental than execution but it is just something he is going to have to push through this season as he won't make the full mental jump until next season.

What happened to the running game? The running game Saturday was basically Duggan. Our two good running backs averaged three yards per carry. What happened to the dominant OL we saw against Purdue? After that game I thought (and posted) "finally an OL that can run block"! Is everyone we play just selling out to stop the run? Or is the OL not nearly as good as we thought early in the year?
In the past, our run game has always relied on QB runs. That is not new. Obviously, the game against Purdue was an outlier as Purdue is 2-6. They just aren't a very good football team and could very well end up 2-10 or whatever. So we are now playing against teams that are better against the run. I actually think Sewo is running harder in the last couple of games than before. It hasn't shown up in the stats but I believe it does show up in moving the chains. Anderson has been bottled up more recently and I imagine defenses key on him because of his big play potential.
If Duggan starts to improve on his downfield passing game, I would fully expect us to see improved stats in the running game. Right now, I am sure defenses aren't respecting that aspect very much.

The reality is that we will probably see more ups and downs from Duggan because is a true freshman QB. But his future is bright and other players and recruits should be excited about that.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
OU just lost to K. State, who we should have beaten. LSU played them early. Perhaps we're not as lousy as I think we are...

From your keyboard to God's ears. I think we have a lot of work yet to do on shoring up the pass defense, especially knowing and playing proper assignments. Winning cures a great many ills...

I don't mind blitzes. What I do mind is predictability. Several times this season opposing staffs have had a play called perfectly right into the blitz we are about to run. That's chicken-fried death, and we've been served such a dish far too often...

....with lumpy gravy.

TCUWIN

What happened to the running game? The running game Saturday was basically Duggan. Our two good running backs averaged three yards per carry. What happened to the dominant OL we saw against Purdue? After that game I thought (and posted) "finally an OL that can run block"! Is everyone we play just selling out to stop the run? Or is the OL not nearly as good as we thought early in the year. We shall see.
Yes, everyone knows our passing game was lacking...and still is. Duggan did well, but UT’s secondary is horrible. Teams will continue to dare us to throw the ball. And until we can burn enough teams, that will continue to be the case.

Frogo

Letting the kids storm the field makes it fun for them....would you rather there were no kids there to storm the field. I bet Patterson and the players loved it.

I suspect a lot of those students were only around last year when the record was not so great. This was a cause for celebration for them.

4th. down

Yes, everyone knows our passing game was lacking...and still is. Duggan did well, but UT’s secondary is horrible. Teams will continue to dare us to throw the ball. And until we can burn enough teams, that will continue to be the case.

Well, Texas was playing the run and they paid for it in the 2nd. half. Sonny has tweaked Max's drop back, increasing it about 2 steps further back on avg. and it's making a real big difference - he's seeing the field better and getting a little longer to go thru his progressions. He has the passing talent to get hot on you.

Eight

Only if they are a hardcore Polka act.

maxresdefault.jpg

PO Frog

OU just lost to K. State, who we should have beaten. LSU played them early. Perhaps we're not as lousy as I think we are...

From your keyboard to God's ears. I think we have a lot of work yet to do on shoring up the pass defense, especially knowing and playing proper assignments. Winning cures a great many ills...

I don't mind blitzes. What I do mind is predictability. Several times this season opposing staffs have had a play called perfectly right into the blitz we are about to run. That's chicken-fried death, and we've been served such a dish far too often...
Because they know Gary's signals, as he has told us a dozen times over the last 3 years.

PO Frog

Well, Texas was playing the run and they paid for it in the 2nd. half. Sonny has tweaked Max's drop back, increasing it about 2 steps further back on avg. and it's making a real big difference - he's seeing the field better and getting a little longer to go thru his progressions. He has the passing talent to get hot on you.
And his tw0-yard overthrows on the deep ball are now perfect