• The KillerFrogs

Cal baseball, tip of the hat.

Paint It Purple

Impressive achievement on so many levels by players and coaches to reach and excel at the CWS. Sad that the state's flagship university is in this position.

SnoSki

someone in a one bedroom apartment in a nice (but not elite) part of LA could spend the same amount of money and live on the golf course in a gated community in dfw. and have kess traffic to deal with.

crazy to think that when my wife and i watch HGTV and there is a br, 2 BA home, 1500 square feet , slightly above avg neighborhood... sold in CA or elsewhere similar for $650,000. mind... blown.

froginaustin

Different is one way to put it. The one conservative I met while I was over there for the Rose Bowl was a Donald Trump supporter.

Two nephews that grew up in Cali were offered admission to Cal. Their parents visited Berkeley (campus and city), and scratched Cal of their kids' lists because of quality-of-life (not a good housing environment close to campus without extravagant rent payments) and cost-of-living issues-- housing catering to students that most of us (me, certainly) would consider acceptable and affordable was a loooong commute from campus. Kids ended up at other UC campuses.

Back then, >10 years ago, Cal was (Cal recruiting publications said and I saw no grounds to argue with them) the most academically selective public university for undergraduates in the United States, and one of the most selective universities in the world. They may have slipped some, but I suspect they're a big deal today.