• The KillerFrogs

BYU's move to Independence

Frog_Fan71

I'm rooting for the failure and demise of all things of a large school in Utah not named Utah. The Utes did it the right way. They performed on the field and got an invitation to the prime time. The others felt slighted. Not so much that they are not number one in the league but that they perceive that they are better than the Utes. Delusional. But that is typical of cults. Take the Branch Davidians from Waco Texas. They were a big cult with an over-inflated sense of self worth. In the end, they burned up and I have to say, I'm glad they did.

It seems that some people just can't learn from history. I'm just waiting for things to self combust. Remember that religion is man made. It is also the largest and most fraudulent form of legal tax avoidance in the world. It is no wonder that the two go hand in hand. Greed and corruption, plain and simple.

"Deceitful and dishonorable" in what way? Because we spoke to the WAC without announcing it to the world? So if TCU speaks to the Big XII and doesn't send a personal, handwritten note soaked in perfume to the rest of the MWC members letting them know of the communication, is TCU being deceitful and dishonorable? Just FYI, BYU did what every other school does/has done/or would do. If you think otherwise, then you are biased or ignorant.

Frog_Fan71

"Deceitful and dishonorable" in what way? Because we spoke to the WAC without announcing it to the world? So if TCU speaks to the Big XII and doesn't send a personal, handwritten note soaked in perfume to the rest of the MWC members letting them know of the communication, is TCU being deceitful and dishonorable? Just FYI, BYU did what every other school does/has done/or would do. If you think otherwise, then you are biased or ignorant.

Four independent schools is != to what every other school does. Why are you here trying to explain yourself? Your schools actions speak for themselves and no explanation is needed. Actions have spoken for you.

mikewaters

TCU fans are acting like the rest of the jilted lovers....they would drop the MWC in a heartbeat, for a better deal. They would do anything, they would park a trailer over their mother's grave to get into the Big 12, and they are getting huffy about BYU leaving the MWC.

It's sad and pathetic hypocrisy.

Houston Frog

TCU fans are acting like the rest of the jilted lovers....they would drop the MWC in a heartbeat, for a better deal. They would do anything, they would park a trailer over their mother's grave to get into the Big 12, and they are getting huffy about BYU leaving the MWC.

Actually, we have no problems with Utah leaving, because they left for something tangible that was clearly a step up. We're more just amused at BYU's inflated self-worth... we can't believe you think you can actually pull this off.

Utah left us for a supermodel.... BYU left us for some lubriderm

gatorfrog

Utah: Hey guys, uh, we got an offer to go to the Pac-10. It's really cool, we've wanted it for a while, and we hope everything works out. Now that Boise's here, we don't really think it'll hurt you guys as much; we're really sorry, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

MWC: That sucks, but we can't say we wouldn't do the same. Good for you that you earned a move both on and off the field.

BYU: OMFG UTAH u think ur betr than US!?!?! U R beer-drinking heathens! We got invited to the Pac-10 too, I mean, we would have, but they already knew we were too cool. You know what? We are so cool we don't even need a conference for footballz. We are going independent, like Notre Dame, who we have to say we're not as cool as, but we totally are. WAC will love us, and they're totally desperate. Hey, btw, since we're leaving, we don't want to be lonely and heve to meet all new peeps, so we're going to try to get some of the MWC teams we think we can beat to join up with the Wishes they were Average Conference, sorry if that totally screws over all ur sports and leaves you without a conference. Oh, and even though we aren't joining the WAC for footballz, we want them to make sure they never, ever, ever leave us, cuz then we'd be sad, and when we get sad we get angry, so no leavezees for them, only for the MWC teams we want to introduce to the WAC. How does any of that make yoo mad? It all makes cents.

MWC:
facepalm.jpg

JimSwinkLives!

I can see that happening, unfortunately. Its not exactly the most conventional way of doing things, but it might resolve two large stumbling blocks: 1) strict deadlines to leave a conference and 2) multi-million dollar exit fees and forfeiture of television revenue. Being an independent can allow an institution to make a more seamless and cost efficient transition into a new conference. Remember, BYU and Air Force were two schools that the Big 12 discussed about adding during the whole re-alingment soap opera this summer. Personally, I'd like to see them fall flat on their faces as an independent next year, but I'm afraid that this scenario is definitely within the realm of possibility.

manaen

IMO, the nature and timing of BYU's actions (I'm an alum/fan) are motivated more by the logic of survival. Here's why:

* It's no secret that BYU would have preferred an invitation to an AQ conference this year or at least received hope for one later.

* Like most colleges, BYU draws many of its recruits locally.

* Utah and BYU are 40 miles apart; they recruit from the same local pool.

* Utah, BYU's principal rival for local recruits, just joined an AQ conference, greatly increasing their exposure, access to year-end glory, and $7-15 million TV revenue annually vs. the $1.5-2 million they and BYU receive in the MWC.

* Faced with this increased threat to their primary source of recruits, and having no solution in the MWC or in another conference immediately, BYU had to act with alacrity or quickly be locked into inferior talent in the future.

* BYU took the best course remaining to save their program. It's a risky course and I hope that it's successful, but inaction no longer was an option.

BTW, the MWC became a more dangerous place for us since TCU joined; good luck to you -- wherever your team goes.

You are 100% correct. We would leave the MWC for an AQ conference in a heartbeat. We would NOT, however, make a stupid move and go independent.

And if this seriously was a move to go to the Big 12, you guys are as delusional as the national media is calling you out for. There is no fee to leave the MWC, so why leave? If the Big 12 calls next year, then go. We wouldn't blame you. Fact is, the Big 12 didn't want you. Nor did they give any hints at inviting you, so you panicked.

Utah = Smart. BYU = Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Dogfrog

IMO, the nature and timing of BYU's actions (I'm an alum/fan) are motivated more by the logic of survival. Here's why:

* It's no secret that BYU would have preferred an invitation to an AQ conference this year or at least received hope for one later.

* Like most colleges, BYU draws many of its recruits locally.

* Utah and BYU are 40 miles apart; they recruit from the same local pool.

* Utah, BYU's principal rival for local recruits, just joined an AQ conference, greatly increasing their exposure, access to year-end glory, and $7-15 million TV revenue annually vs. the $1.5-2 million they and BYU receive in the MWC.

* Faced with this increased threat to their primary source of recruits, and having no solution in the MWC or in another conference immediately, BYU had to act with alacrity or quickly be locked into inferior talent in the future.

* BYU took the best course remaining to save their program. It's a risky course and I hope that it's successful, but inaction no longer was an option.

BTW, the MWC became a more dangerous place for us since TCU joined; good luck to you -- wherever your team goes.

Now this is a rational BYU fan. The only thing is, I just don't believe BYU had to take this risky step immediately. There is a sense of panic here. What if, for example, Utah went into PAC 12 play and had a 5-7 season. BYU goes 9-3. There are no guarantees Utah is successful. After all, we have experience having a sister program leave for an AQ conference back in 94. They are 90 miles away from us. They call themselves Baylor. We own them. I think I would have waited a year or two to see how Utah fares over there before making this leap into the abyss. I would like to thank you for maybe the first reasonable post I have seen from a BYU fan.