• The KillerFrogs

Buckeye fans were not impressed

froginmn

Rutgers is better than Oregon State, and could only score 3 points.

Wat_png_by_katysz_by_katysz-d6j542d.png

Oh, and thanks Brut85 for being the one intelligent opposing fan to post on this thread.

cdsfrog

Rutgers is an underdog to Kansas who has beaten two FBS teams since the start of the 2015 season. They are one of the worst in the country. Probably will go 1-11 or 2-10.

Yance

This is some hilarious back & forth, and I'm here for all of it, but who seriously wants to talk SOS in week 3?? We don't even know enough about our own teams identities (aside from what was written by our respective beat writers) and we're already going down this path? Ha!

On a side note, I popped in to say good luck to the Horned Frog community! I wish you all the best this season [with the exception of this Saturday in Dallas!]. Glad to see some of you are fairly confident in your chances this weekend, that makes it all that much more enjoyable of a game! Two solid programs going H2H at a "neutral" site. Let's have at it!

This is some hilarious back & forth, and I'm here for all of it, but who seriously wants to talk SOS in week 3?? We don't even know enough about our own teams identities (aside from what was written by our respective beat writers) and we're already going down this path? Ha!

On a side note, I popped in to say good luck to the Horned Frog community! I wish you all the best this season [with the exception of this Saturday in Dallas!]. Glad to see some of you are fairly confident in your chances this weekend, that makes it all that much more enjoyable of a game! Two solid programs going H2H at a "neutral" site. Let's have at it!

Because we are CFB fans, and we are idiots honestly.

YA

You guys go show up in Dallas and the rest of us will be in Arlington for the game

Eight

If you're saying GP invented the 4-2-5, no. The 4-2-5 is one of 3-4 particular versions of the nickel defense, named for its five defensive backs. The nickel was introduced by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1960, the same year Gary Patterson was born.

Having said that, for decades both college and pro teams rarely used the 4-2-5 version of the nickel except in obvious passing situations. Gary Patterson was the first to install it as a base defense. This was at the University of New Mexico when HC Dennis Franchione hired him as DC in 1996. When TCU hired Franchione away from New Mexico in 1998, Patterson came along as part of the deal and he brought his 4-2-5 with him.

Should also be noted that, apart from pioneering the 4-2-5 as a base defense, Patterson added a few of his own variations to it. But that is innovation rather than invention.

it is funny how coaches get credit for things as back in 1992 greg mcmackin was the new dc at the naval academy and was installing a new defense, the 4-2-5 based upon george allen's nickel defense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...7ebe909/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e9ea54ad0ffd

he only coached at the naval academy one season, but in 1995 two of the defensive assistants were gary patterson and dick bumpas.

don't know if there is where they first saw it on old game tape, if gary had thought about it before, and in all honesty none of that matters.

we aren't talking about discovering a cure for cancer. odds are somewhere a coach before had used it as there are only so many ways to arrange 11 players on a side.

so whether it was greg mcmackin, gary patterson, or bud foster it doesn't really matter. all that matters is gary took the formation, tweaked it t to his liking, and most importantly will be on the tcu sideline come saturday.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Why are you so negative when they were clearly being rational TCU fans. TCU was sloopy, it's ok to admit it. Doesn't mean they will be against Ohio State, but that post was 100% accurate

LMAO...... NEGATIVE???? I was the one being negative because I took issue with some posters who thought our play against SMU was “embarrassing” and “ghastly” ??? Yeah, I don’t think you know what “negative” means. I’m also not sure you can define “rational” or “accurate”.

HFrog12

Straight from the OSU 247 board:

"Oh St 45
TCU. 17

A bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits wont stick with a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits for four quarters.

Close at half. Big pull away in second half."

I don't know why we have the season anymore. As long as your recruit 4 and 5 stars then you automatically win.