• The KillerFrogs

Bro Bible: Parents Are Speaking Out Against Colorado Football Coach Deion Sanders And His Treatment Of Players

Wexahu

100% this.

If you go back, I'm not sure I've ever seen him wear a Jackson State shirt/hoodie, and I'm POSITIVE I've never seen him wear a CU hoodie or shirt. It's all Prime, all the time.

I ain't hard 2 find.
PRIME.
Gold whistle.

***Edited to say I went back and looked and yes, there are images of him at games/practices wearing JSU stuff, so I stand corrected. But the Prime stuff just irks me.

He's Coach Sanders unless he gets his name legally changed.
On the CU website where the players and coaches are listed, everyone has their name normally spelled out. His name is listed as.......Deion "Coach Prime" Sanders.

It's really kind of funny. Does anyone ever stop and think about how stupid that nickname is? Coach Prime?

Zubaz

I look at it kind of the opposite of that. The biggest negative IMO of TCU potentially hiring him was what he would potentially leave behind. If he doesn't do well and needs to be let go, rest assured it's not going to be Prime's fault. He's building the entire program around his brand, Coach Prime. Once Coach Prime leaves, what is left?

I think he could potentially leave behind a bigger dumpster fire than he inherited.
I think that's the benefit of Colorado being the one that takes a flyer. TCU was at least right around 0.500 at worst, and even when GP wasn't living up to expectations was in games for the most part. Colorado was in a "can it really get worse?" situation.

WhatTheFrog

I'm really of mixed minds. On the one hand, I understand why Deion is cutting those guys. We all saw Colorado play last year, they were basically an FCS team. They were beyond bad. Look at the players that are being asked to leave, look at their profiles. It's not like those kids are being asked to leave at ending up at Oregon. They aren't FBS caliber players, let alone P5 players. He's absolutely right that if he wants to win, it won't be with those guys.

On the other, he's doing stuff out loud that is supposed to be behind closed doors, and he's trying to do it all at once. The Pac-12 was one of the first conferences to guarantee 4 year scholarships, meaning you aren't supposed to be able to cut a guy in the middle of his career. Now, we know that coaches have conversations with players every year that amounts to "Look, you know where you are on the depth chart, I know it's not going to improve, maybe you should see what's out there and see if you can't get a better opportunity somewhere else.", and that's fine. But like.....don't just tell a kid he stinks and Billy Beane ax him, this isn't [supposed to be] the pros. It seems like he's basically trying to do a two year rebuild. Get what he can from the portal this year, recruit and portal up next year to be in a position in 2024.

That was always the risk with someone like Deion. He's a pro guy, not a college guy. I don't think he really gets the ins and outs of working under this sort of system, and I'm guessing he is going to run afoul of the NCAA regs on what you can and can't do with *wink wink* "student atho-letes".
That's basically what it is now. That's what the kids wanted, that's what they got. It's business, not personal. If a kid isn't as good as a free agent on the market, it's time to make a move.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
He is an ambulatory bloated ego, with a bad toe. Everybody on that ever-changing roster is nothing more than set dressing for the Great Man, and the whole of the Program exists solely for the elevation and edification of Him.

Once Upon a Time, we built great cathedrals for such things. Now, Programs revolve around prima donna looney-tunes and suckers buy into their pronouncements. That TCU gave him a second interview is worrisome...

East Coast

Tier 1
He has not turned over 50% of his roster, it's 80% and climbing, including at least 1 who he signed in December, making that signing essentially a tryout - yikes!

He and Colorado are giving the kids the same option TCU does; you can stay and keep your scholarship, but you won't be on the football team. Other than kids retiring because of injury, very few choose to take that option and portal out.

As far as his son is concerned, he's chased off every QB that might give him any competition. So if he stinks, there is no choice about replacing him. If he gets hurt, Colorado will be left with a Division II level talent.

I wouldn't be surprised if they win ZERO games next year, and don't really compete in most of them. But who knows, the PAC is weak this year (at least from the middle down), and he has Colorado State and Nebraska on his OOC schedule, so I guess he could somehow get to 6 wins.

Eight

Even if Prime flames out he will most likely have turned the program around with regards to talent, alumni engagement and excitement. The next coach would be walking into a much better situation.

They needed a major reset and they are getting it.

setting controlled brush fires can be an effective tool to regulate the growth out of underbrush, lower the risk of forest fires, and encourage the growth of new forest unless those controlled fires spread out of control, inadvertently burn down homes/businesses, seasonal rains then trigger mudslides and avalanches, and it all ends up in some guys pool

yes they are bad, yes the roster needed to be improved, and building most of a roster through the portal in one roster is a major gamble

go look at the struggles the ags have had filling 20 or so scholarships through the portal, they better hope rice had some talent on their roster

Eight

On the CU website where the players and coaches are listed, everyone has their name normally spelled out. His name is listed as.......Deion "Coach Prime" Sanders.

It's really kind of funny. Does anyone ever stop and think about how stupid that nickname is? Coach Prime?

do this wex, check his bio on the colorado website and compare that with his assistant coaches and staff members

Limey Frog

If Deion strikes out, he's going to do it swinging. I'm not going to predict that he'll fail, because like everything he does he's being unorthodox and aggressive enough about it that he just might be about to succeed in a way that no one has really imagined previously. He could be about to pull off the fastest turnaround conceivable under the newly lax rules, demonstrating to all exactly what college football is now.

But... the likelihood that this is going to produce a cohesive squad ready to shock TCU at home in game one seems mercifully low.

Endless Purple

Personally, If I had a relation to Optimus, I might push it too....

Otherwise silly.

Deep Purple

On the second point, the only thing I can think of is that discipline isn't his job. His job is to hire the guys that will instill the good, strong discipline. The whole "CEO coach" approach thing.

That is the way it's done in most places of course, but that hardly makes it a "rule" he is obligated to follow. Not defending his approach, simply noting that as head coach, his job is whatever he defines it to be, subject to whatever boundaries the U of Colorado has set out for him.

I haven't yet seen any report that UC has forbidden him to personally handle discipline or anything else pertaining to running the football program. If they don't like the results he produces, they'll send him packing soon enough.

LVH

These is the type of antics that would only fly at a program that has hit rock bottom

As unfortunate as our 2019 and 2021 seasons were... that still was not anywhere near rock bottom

It was really easy to win at Jackson State, residing in the worst FBS conference in the country where their conference champ doesn't even participate in the FBS playoffs because they know they will get stomped, so it only took a few good players to be the top dog there. A little bit different scenario in the Pac 12

2themax

It's always been about marketing/branding since he's been in the public eye.
Thing is he's pretty much backed up his talk so far. I do believe one of his strongest qualities is his work ethic. Everyone at the NFL level is a stud (mostly). The elite at that level are the hardest workers.
We'll see if it translates to his coaching career.

Eight

hmmmm....second player who transferred in with the first wave and been on campus roughly 4 months is back in the portal

correction 3 of the first wave are in the portal

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

Just bragging about his relation to cousin Optimus.