• The KillerFrogs

Bowls B12 Rules

calisuperfrog

For those who actually study/know this stuff. I found the following on the B12 tie ins for games...I'll be at The Big Game this weekend, and expect our Frogs to win, but if for some reason they Wildcats pull off the upset, per below, they would go to the Sugar Bowl, we might get left out of CFP, and we get knocked down to the Alamo even though we will have lost 1 game and ranked higher? Please help ease this Frogs mind we have earned a NY6 game no matter what. These men have earned it. Thoughts from those that know?

The Big 12 Champion will automatically go to the Sugar Bowl if it’s not selected for the College Football Playoff. If the top Big 12 team is in the CFP, the highest-ranked available team is in the Sugar.

1. Sugar Bowl vs SEC
Highest-ranked available Big 12 team, if it’s not the Big 12 Champion.

2. Valero Alamo Bowl vs Pac-12
3. Cheez-It Bowl vs ACC
4. Mercari Texas Bowl vs SEC
5. AutoZone Liberty Bowl vs SEC
6. Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs Big Ten

Planks

Win or lose, does K-state go to the Sugar bowl?
Win, yes as the Sugar is contractually obligated.

Lose, likely but not guaranteed. The Sugar Bowl could choose another Big 12 team. They could pick Texas, seeing as how K State and Texas would both have 4 losses and Texas would have the head to head win. But it will in all likelihood be K State as they will either beat us or play us close enough that the Sugar Bowl will feel they have to take them.

Planks

I still think if we lose this weekend the Cotton bowl against UCF/Tulane will 99% be our destination, though I understand Alamo is possible.

As was explained to me in the other thread, the only way we could end up in the Alamo is if TCU loses in a blow out, USC loses close. Playoff is GA, MI, OSU, Bama. Rose bowl has to take Utah. Leaving USC and TCU competing for the last wildcard spot in the Cotton.

Unlikely scenario, but honestly I think I’d rather go to the Alamo and face a 10-2 Washington type team than go to the Cotton and face Tulane/UCF.

Limey Frog

Win, yes as the Sugar is contractually obligated.

Lose, likely but not guaranteed. The Sugar Bowl could choose another Big 12 team. They could pick Texas, seeing as how K State and Texas would both have 4 losses and Texas would have the head to head win. But it will in all likelihood be K State as they will either beat us or play us close enough that the Sugar Bowl will feel they have to take them.

Plus, Sugar for Texas would be an Alabama rematch.

A loss for TCU probably drops us all the way to an Alamo Bowl appearance vs. Oregon or Utah. Still, I'd have taken that in August with much rejoicing. It's been a great year already no matter what else happens.

Endless Purple

A one loss TCU will most likely be in the Cotton over 2 loss USC.

I have to admit, the Alamo would have a better opponent in terms of interest.

But, as BrewingFrog states, Don't lose.

Planks

Plus, Sugar for Texas would be an Alabama rematch.

A loss for TCU probably drops us all the way to an Alamo Bowl appearance vs. Oregon or Utah. Still, I'd have taken that in August with much rejoicing. It's been a great year already no matter what else happens.

I feel pretty confident TCU goes to Cotton rather than the Alamo. The CFP will already be giving TCU a slap in the face by in putting 11-1 Ohio State/10-2 Alabama in the playoff over 12-1 TCU, especially since this will be the second time in recent memory they have bumped #3 ranked TCU out in the final rankings.

The committee bumping TCU out of the NY6 entirely would be taken as an unnecessary additional slap in the face to TCU. Sure they will give TCU a slap in the face for something important (the Playoffs) but they aren’t going to do it over something that isn’t important (the Cotton Bowl). Placing TCU in the Cotton Bowl will be the committees way of showing respect to TCU.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

I feel pretty confident TCU goes to Cotton rather than the Alamo. The CFP will already be giving TCU a slap in the face by in putting 11-1 Ohio State/10-2 Alabama in the playoff over 12-1 TCU, especially since this will be the second time in recent memory they have bumped #3 ranked TCU out in the final rankings.

The committee bumping TCU out of the NY6 entirely would be taken as an unnecessary additional slap in the face to TCU. Sure they will give TCU a slap in the face for something important (the Playoffs) but they aren’t going to do it over something that isn’t important (the Cotton Bowl). Placing TCU in the Cotton Bowl will be the committees way of showing respect to TCU.

Yeah, I had forgotten that the NY6 is now automatically the top 10 ranked teams, including/and the G5 representative. I think if we lose they'll drop us below Alabama or Ohio State for all of the obvious "reasons" prejudice, but I doubt they'd drop us out of the top 10 when they can just sideline us with a children's table bowl and take care of two problems in one stroke.

Frankly, I'd rather play Utah in San Antonio.

AGree. it will be Cotton if we drop out of the playoff.

Hemingway

Key: Don't lose.
Sean Penn GIF by Filmin

mstrB

Unless this is part of the new structure, the bowls picked the at large and they never used rankings to make the decision - they did it based on potential $. Unless they are obligated to go by rankings now, it would certainly go to Alabama/USC/OSU (whoever is left out with us). So every focus needs to be on this game because it could drop us significantly for post season.