• The KillerFrogs

Big12-2 dust up; despite Beebe pronouncement

froginaustin

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/7/26/2296297/texas-longhorns-network-brenham-isd-high-school-football

So much for hitting the pause button. Just days after Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe announced that plans for Texas' new television venture -- the Longhorn Network -- would be put on hold, reports have revealed that the university has already signed a contract to air a Brenham High School football game.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Brenham_ISD_Signs_Deal_to_Air_Football_Game_on_Longhorn_Network_126213108.html

Officials with Brenham's athletic department confirm they signed a contract with the Longhorn Network early last week, allowing them to broadcast the Cubs' game on September 1st at 7p.m.

froginaustin

baylorfans.com's 2 cents worth:

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215250

includes;

I have heard from a very reliable source that we [BU] are absolutely NOT taking a wait and see approach. Our administration has already vetted our options and we are very close to taking the best option on the table, an invite to CUSA.

Don't worry, WAC! We are going to show UT who's boss by leaving them in the dust for CUSA. I have no doubt this will open up the flood gates for other members to bolt leaving UT high and dry.

Sarcastic, I'm sure.

:laugh:

jstrat

Unless I'm mistaken TCU has offered several high school players from that school. Don't know why people aren't upset about this. Unless, you feel like you can't compete with Texas on the recruiting front anyways. Submission to Dodds.

froginaustin

Unless I'm mistaken TCU has offered several high school players from that school. Don't know why people aren't upset about this. Unless, you feel like you can't compete with Texas on the recruiting front anyways. Submission to Dodds.

No reason to be hysterical about something we can't control. Baylorfans is way better at that than we are, anyway, and entertaining when that board really melts down.

If anyone is really damaged by the LHN, it's the programs that have regular competition against UTx, scheduled for the immediate future-- their conference mates. If neither the Big XII-2 nor the NCAA can control what the LHN does, then we are only bystanders whether we're upset or not, and for that matter whether our interests are harmed or not.

If we're good enough, TCU will be fine competing with Texas. If not, we won't compete very well.

HG73

Bevo will just get the scholarship limits raised (just for Bevo). "What's the point in having our own network if we are still limited to 25 scholarships?"

Mike Brooks

What about the other 17 high schools they plan to show on the LHN? High school baseball games they will show? Basketball games?
It is a worthy argument and I wish aTm would hump ut by going SEC. Appears to be there for the taking. I dont understand why your admin prefers to bluster the same tired diatribes versus following Arky's lead years ago and unhinging a lopsided alliance.

Not our fight but my popcorn consumption is way up watching it.

HFrog1999

Yeah but first they're gonna stomp their feet and hold their breath till their faces turn purple.

NF

squeeze_ani.gif

jake102

I don't see why the Aggies haven't already left for the SEC/filed a lawsuit if UT really did sign Brenham ISD to their network. Brenham has some very good talent. That's not a nobody school district when it comes to football.And it's right in aTm's backyard.

mtmedlin

This all just scares the hell out of me. If the BE signs with Comcast, I can see network driven expansion. For example, if UT keeps pissing off everybody, I can see Comcast helping the BE attempt to take some of their teams. In return, ESPN will help the ACC take some of the BE, Fox will get involved. Where does it end???? Given, Id rather be with Comcast, since their pockets are WAY deeper then ESPN, yet I dont want ESPN to basically never mention the BE. It would really harm the reputation and recruiting.