• The KillerFrogs

Big Ten, ACC, and Pac12 officially announce Alliance

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Looks like we'll get something of an answer fairly soon. I wouldn't put much stock in what they said today. They're hardly going to come out in this forum and say: "We're all planning to put the Big XII out of its misery, lolz." If they decide to expand their narrative will be that they wanted the Big XII to survive but that its own members declared it nonviable and approached them first, which is actually the case.

View attachment 9422
The endgame was always ESPN getting out of it's contractural obligations to the BIGXII, and getting OUT playing in the SEC as soon as possible so as to maximize their investment. This is achieved by having the PAC (or whoever) taking two or more Programs and the BIGXII failing to have enough member institutions to fulfill their obligation. Bingo! ESPN wins again!

As to our chances being one of the ones selected: Iffy. Logic and other normal considerations don't really apply when the drunken toddlers at ESPN go off on a rampage. I would think that the proximity of DFW, JerryWorld, Private School status (no politicians to placate), better-than-average ratings, would help the decision making process along, but what their plans are are anyone's guess.

asleep003

778fc0e6b9855dfc78457bc9f48a5b1a43d6e7b8fa2d95012f249cf854c8f1bf
Agree !!!

Eight

The thing that really stinks is that the SEC got where they are by being the biggest cheating conference in history. Would things be different today if they actually got punished for their egregious behavior?

This all started with the NCAA punishing the Akrons/Libertys of college football for The Auburns/Ole Miss/Georgias sins.

started long, long, long before then and things really ramped up shortly after uga and ou won their court case and the sec showed the vision and balls that the rest of the conferences lacked especially the swc

Frozen Frog

I think we need to tap a few brakes! Today was a death blow to the Big 12 in many respects. I think a lot of the schools in the Big 12 are on life support, but not dead. This probably means all 3 conferences need the same number of teams. The ACC is at 14 plus Notre Lame. The Pac is at 12 and the Big Ten has 14 teams. Do they grow to 16 or stay at 14? If it is 16 then I think every Big 12 school has a shot. If it is 14 then it is fairly bleak.

I really think a scheduling alliance is a huge deal. I get the sense the Big Ten and Pac in particular would like to keep it at 9 games to keep rivalries and certain travel agendas. At 9 games plus 1 or 2 alliance games that creates a problem for the SEC with OOC games. Even with 8 conference plus 1 alliance that presents some challenges. There aren't going to be many great options for SEC teams to schedule premier OOC games. The SEC already plays some of the worst schedules, but now what are they going to be able to schedule to boost their SOS?

The biggest loser in all of this might be Notre Dame. This may lead to them having to join a conference.

Wexahu

I think we need to tap a few brakes! Today was a death blow to the Big 12 in many respects. I think a lot of the schools in the Big 12 are on life support, but not dead. This probably means all 3 conferences need the same number of teams. The ACC is at 14 plus Notre Lame. The Pac is at 12 and the Big Ten has 14 teams. Do they grow to 16 or stay at 14? If it is 16 then I think every Big 12 school has a shot. If it is 14 then it is fairly bleak.

I really think a scheduling alliance is a huge deal. I get the sense the Big Ten and Pac in particular would like to keep it at 9 games to keep rivalries and certain travel agendas. At 9 games plus 1 or 2 alliance games that creates a problem for the SEC with OOC games. Even with 8 conference plus 1 alliance that presents some challenges. There aren't going to be many great options for SEC teams to schedule premier OOC games. The SEC already plays some of the worst schedules, but now what are they going to be able to schedule to boost their SOS?

The biggest loser in all of this might be Notre Dame. This may lead to them having to join a conference.

Poor Notre Dame. They might have to join a conference. All it would take is one phone call to join whatever conference they want, what a terrible position to be in. /s

They are going to expand the playoffs to get more teams in and add more games, that's almost a given. Two problems with that though. #1. The more games they add, the better chance the top players skip the playoffs altogether, and #2. There isn't near enough parity in college football for a big expansion of the playoffs to be interesting. I guess problem #1 might help fix problem #2 to a degree, but still......

Money is ruining the sport. Hell, 90% of the talk going into the season is rights fees, payouts per team, market share, market coverage, etc. The actual sport of college football is just a sideshow.

asleep003

We are screwed
Agree...

We've only finished in the the Top10 seven of the last 13 years.
Frogs have finished in the Top5 only 2 of the last 11 years.
10-3 the last 15 years in Bowl Games... including the Rose Bowl
Situated in the 4th largest metro area in the US.
Ranked 80th in 2021 US News and World Report of the Top 1,482 Universities.
Present Stadium Capacity... 50,000.
Frogs own both a National Championship and Heisman... which most own neither.
Heavy donor history.

Frogs don't have a shot !!

Frozen Frog

Poor Notre Dame. They might have to join a conference. All it would take is one phone call to join whatever conference they want, what a terrible position to be in. /s

They are going to expand the playoffs to get more teams in and add more games, that's almost a given. Two problems with that though. #1. The more games they add, the better chance the top players skip the playoffs altogether, and #2. There isn't near enough parity in college football for a big expansion of the playoffs to be interesting. I guess problem #1 might help fix problem #2 to a degree, but still......

Money is ruining the sport. Hell, 90% of the talk going into the season is rights fees, payouts per team, market share, market coverage, etc. The actual sport of college football is just a sideshow.

Bye bye football TV contract for Notre Lame! If they don't join a conference there might not be a good path for the playoff for them.

The college football season is getting too long. There are far too many meaningless games. The problem with football in general is that it is the only sport where at the age of 18 you cannot go pro! A minor league or program similar to baseball would solve almost every major issue with the money in the sport.

I went to a small D3 school up north. I miss going to those games. The games were fun and the football was acceptable. It wasn't Big Ten worthy, but often times tickets were $5 or less. A few games were even free.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Bye bye football TV contract for Notre Lame! If they don't join a conference there might not be a good path for the playoff for them.

The college football season is getting too long. There are far too many meaningless games. The problem with football in general is that it is the only sport where at the age of 18 you cannot go pro! A minor league or program similar to baseball would solve almost every major issue with the money in the sport.

I went to a small D3 school up north. I miss going to those games. The games were fun and the football was acceptable. It wasn't Big Ten worthy, but often times tickets were $5 or less. A few games were even free.

Don’t kid yourself Notre Dame will end up getting some sweetheart deal that lets them in. I’ve never understood the old saying that football is just better with Notre Dame. I can name several schools I could live without, ND being right up there.

FinanceFrog

Why do you suggest that? Do you think access to the CFP in any form (past, present, or future) is a motivating factor for leaving? I gotta think it’s 99.5% about $ and 0.5% prestige of being in the SEC.

i think ou/ut made the decision based on money but 3 years in I think the fan bases are going to miserable when they aren’t making the cfp and they realize they could have in the big12.

Dogfrog

You just had to watch Wannstedt on FOX sports to see he was clueless half of the time on his in-game analysis. So, assume he was asleep half of the time
during these discussions he was talking about.

When it comes to college football, there is nobody less brilliant.