• The KillerFrogs

Big East Non-Conference Rivalries That should Be

rufanjerry

Ok, OSU might be stretching it.

But why hasn't Texas tech become a big rivalry? is there a reason?

Welcome to the conference. I'm a big Cowboy fan - even though I am out here in NJ, so i look forward to the day we plat down there the same weekend as the Cowboys. I have been to the old stadium but not the new.

I'd like to follow you guys all year. Are there any must follow sites, blogs, bloggers? twitter? I found this site. Is it the main fan site?

Thanks

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Ok, OSU might be stretching it.

But why hasn't Texas tech become a big rivalry? is there a reason?

Welcome to the conference. I'm a big Cowboy fan - even though I am out here in NJ, so i look forward to the day we plat down there the same weekend as the Cowboys. I have been to the old stadium but not the new.

I'd like to follow you guys all year. Are there any must follow sites, blogs, bloggers? twitter? I found this site. Is it the main fan site?

Thanks

This is the main site and the only one that you will need. We have great bloggers and you can find some of their work by clicking on the Blog tab at the top of the page. Our Twitter account is @Killer_Frogs

Stiff Arm Frog

I appreciate the sentiment that our new rival should be Ohio State, but we already have a rival: SMU over in Dallas, and we play them annually for the Iron Skillet.

The TCU-SMU rivalry hasn't been the same since SMU got the death penalty a few decades ago, but before that it was a pretty big deal. The 1935 game was known nationally as the "Game of the Century" -- look it up -- and whoever won that game tended to be ranked pretty highly that season, though obviously we had some lean years in there too.

SMU is our rival -- geographically close, opposing cultures (Cowtown vs. Cosmo), and a lot of hatred. They spoiled our perfect season a few years ago and branded our field after that. We've retaliated by destroying them in football for the past decade or so. SMU is also the kind of school we want to be associated with -- small, private, (somewhat) religious, and academically competitive. Their business school is about on par with ours, and their Law school is well recognized. So anyway, that's why you won't find many Frog fans looking to fabricate an artificial rivalry with any out of state school. For example, South Florida.

As far as Tech goes, Tech is run by a pack of redneck cowards who have backed out of several contracts we had to play -- though I guess it says something about program that they would rather pay $10 million than face us on the gridiron. Either way, they're too scared to play us, and we have nothing to gain by demolishing middling competition from an inferior conference. (Man it feels good to say that).

Same goes for all the other members of the old SWC, especially the Aggies, with the exception of Baylor. For some reason Baylor keeps scheduling us, which I appreciate but don't understand. Just gluttons for punishment, I suppose. *sigh* Baptists.