• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Compared to European soccer leagues, you never see the biggest clubs threatened by relegation because they outspend everyone else. But every once in a while you see a Leicester City or Dortmund emerge for a championship over a top money club.
So, with this in mind, how would the TCU brand stick? We aren't a Blue Blood, we don't have millions of Alumni, we don't "bring the eyeballs" like the Blue Blood programs do (at least in the minds of the Network sociopaths). They would ditch us as soon as they could and we'd never see the top again.

CountryFrog

espn and Fox would love it. Premier match ups every Saturday.
You're right. Which is why someday they might just totally break away the top 40 or so brands. Relegation isn't necessary to have weekly top brands matchups and TV still needs lower to mid-tier games in order to fill out their schedules. So there's really no upside for programs like Texas or Alabama to potentially risk being demoted just because they have a bad year.

CountryFrog

I agree with you, but I think the risk of them being relegated would be pretty low, though. Rather than 16 Premier teams I'd go to 20 and you provide extra security for blue blood programs. Compared to European soccer leagues, you never see the biggest clubs threatened by relegation because they outspend everyone else. But every once in a while you see a Leicester City or Dortmund emerge for a championship over a top money club.
Texas has been outspending everyone for a long time but by my count they probably would've only spent one season since 2010 in the premier league.

Alabama was wallowing away in mediocrity before hiring Saban. Same for Michigan before Harbaugh and USC before Riley. Speaking of Riley, how is Oklahoma looking without him? College football isn't pro soccer. All of these programs are one coaching move away from mediocrity at any time or even a couple injured QB's away from an anomalous bad season. There's just no way whatsoever they're going to risk their status and cash flow unnecessarily. How do they benefit?

Not to mention all the mid level SEC/BIG schools who would never agree to a system where they may potentially never be on the level of those top tier programs again. This system benefits no one but the fans and we should all know where we rank on the sports hierarchy by now.

Eight

There are also a LOT more blue blood college football programs than there are top money English clubs. A league comprised of the top 20 college football teams where there are no OOC cupcakes and they only play each other would be riveting to watch. Likewise, the Championship level 20 teams would also be a fantastic watch.

didn't you just describe the sec?

wait, you mean we have been overhyped again?

champions league brings some compelling matchups, but even in that model there appears to be some blah matches

Purp

didn't you just describe the sec?

wait, you mean we have been overhyped again?

champions league brings some compelling matchups, but even in that model there appears to be some blah matches
That's because there are a lot of very blah leagues sending teams to the UCL.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Why would anyone consider this new conglomerate of has-beens and never-weres as a Power Conference? The PAC is dead. Over half of the members are gone. It has ceased to exist. It has shuffled off it's mortal coil. It is an ex-Conference.

However they try to stitch together some kind of group, it is of no consequence.

Hemingway

Why would anyone consider this new conglomerate of has-beens and never-weres as a Power Conference? The PAC is dead. Over half of the members are gone. It has ceased to exist. It has shuffled off it's mortal coil. It is an ex-Conference.

However they try to stitch together some kind of group, it is of no consequence.
Research affiliation, dude. It’s worth billions. That’s why turned down ESPN to go get 50 million a year, because they researched it.

cheese83

The thing that keeps interest in bad NFL games is fantasy football. Real betting where it is legal will keep people watching the NFL. Legalized betting on CFB would be a huge windfall they can also monetize. Both leagues have to walk the fine line of having entertaining games but not letting the criminal element tarnish to golden goose.
Also the draft, free agency, rivals, and the fact that a bad team can turn around and make the playoffs. Plus the stars.

Frozen Frog

The PAC name likely still has some value. It may also be a way for those more prominent schools in the AAC to form a more prestigious conference. With a base of Oregon State and Stanford that is a solid baseball conference. It’s not the worst idea. I know travel isn’t the same as when the WAC was created, but it is still going to be an issue.

Limey Frog

The problem is that anyone joining the league for 2024--which they will need to do for it survive--has to pay exits fees from their current league, all in order to join a league that can only negotiate a TV deal in once those new schools agree to join, and will be negotiating in a tight market where buyers know they're desperate. In other words, it is inconceivable that anyone will be joining the Pac.

Maybe they "merge" with the MWC, keeping the Pac name but otherwise the league is just a continuation of the MWC with a name change. That just seems a whole lot more complicated than the MWC just waiting the situation out and accepting the Pac's last four remaining members when they figure out that this is their only option. How long will that take, two weeks?

Frankly, I'm enjoying not giving a crap. This isn't TCU's problem because Stanford/Cal admins are snobs, Wazzu admins are ludicrously unrealistic, and George Kliavkoff is in over his head.

Screw California, and bring on the football.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
I think its crazy that people seem to think destroying two G5 conferences (AAC and MWC) to give the four left behind PAC teams a place to play is a good idea. Getting enough schools of either conference to vote to disband really sounds like a longshot to me. It is one thing to add four teams to a conference, but to get enough schools in line to disband seems impossible.