• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Limey Frog

Andy Staples has the what I think is the best take on this whole thing. Here's him and Nicole Auerbach talking about various things; Pac 12/Big XII is the last segment, the final 25 minutes or so.

All of the "this is going to happen tomorrow" stuff out there from non-journalists is just rubbish, even if it proves to be right in the end. "Breaking" news breaks because the people who actually make decisions "leak" information to journalists they trust when they're ready to leak it. Until then, it's all just speculation. What Staples speculates is, I think, the right conclusion to draw from the past 15 years of this endless nonsense: the remaining eight members of the Pac 10 will want Oregon and UW to give them a long-term, binding commitment, and those two schools have no incentive to do that and every incentive not to. In contrast, the Big XII has the cohesion that comes from no one wanting to poach its members, and the hard-nosed realism that comes from experience. These might enable them to make deals flexible enough to suit everyone in the immediate term. My guess is that this all works out to the Big XII's advantage in the short-to-medium-term, but not within the next week or even perhaps this summer. What happens long-term, I have no idea.

Hemingway

L
Andy Staples has the what I think is the best take on this whole thing. Here's him and Nicole Auerbach talking about various things; Pac 12/Big XII is the last segment, the final 25 minutes or so.

All of the "this is going to happen tomorrow" stuff out there from non-journalists is just rubbish, even if it proves to be right in the end. "Breaking" news breaks because the people who actually make decisions "leak" information to journalists they trust when they're ready to leak it. Until then, it's all just speculation. What Staples speculates is, I think, the right conclusion to draw from the past 15 years of this endless nonsense: the remaining eight members of the Pac 10 will want Oregon and UW to give them a long-term, binding commitment, and those two schools have no incentive to do that and every incentive not to. In contrast, the Big XII has the cohesion that comes from no one wanting to poach its members, and the hard-nosed realism that comes from experience. These might enable them to make deals flexible enough to suit everyone in the immediate term. My guess is that this all works out to the Big XII's advantage in the short-to-medium-term, but not within the next week or even perhaps this summer. What happens long-term, I have no idea.

yeah , they got a 30 day deadline. thats what people do with a deadline, they usually wait till the end.

McFroggin

Oh, delicious cruelty! Positively savage!

SMU: "Hey! The music stopped!"
Rape U: "Yeah. Where did everybody go?"
SMU: "I don't know. And why are we holding this bag?"

More like

BU: What happened to the beat?
SMU: Who did you beat?
BU: I’ll cover it up. Don’t worry.
Craig James: Need pointers. What do I do with these 5 dead hookers?
Oregon State: No worries. We still want in.

Nick Danger

The University of Colorado Board of Regents has scheduled a Special Board Meeting for this evening from 5::00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Mtn). This is the second special meeting the Board has scheduled this week, with the first being on Wednesday evening, just two days ago. They were apparently "briefed" by representatives of the Athletic Department concerning the Big-12 expansion plans.

Their website has labelled both of these meetings "Executive Session Only" No Formal Action will be taken! However the Regents also have a three day "Retreat" scheduled for July 13th - 15th! Make of this what you will!

University of Colorado Regents

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The University of Colorado Board of Regents has scheduled a Special Board Meeting for this evening from 5::00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Mtn). This is the second special meeting the Board has scheduled this week, with the first being on Wednesday evening. They were apparently "briefed" by representatives of the Athletic Department concerning the Big-12 expansion plans.

Their website has labelled both of these meetings "Executive Session Only" No Formal Action will be taken! However the Regents also have a three day "Retreat" scheduled for July 13th - 15th! Make of this what you will!

Get your Ralphie the Buffalo gear today!

Palliative Care

As easy as it may seem to us to just say yes, I appreciate the board being thoughtful about this. If it does not work out then we just keep moving on with our new schools.

People on both coast often see the middle of the country as lesser places and the Big 12 as a conference to belittle because of where our schools are. These four schools have some feel for this snobbery. Choosing to join us makes them open to such distractions.

In the end they may choose to join because it offers more stability than the PAC does. Despite ESPN's support the PAC is struggling against the tide of indifference that most of its school reside within.

To me the pandemic seems to brought this into focus. The PAC's pride and prejudice is their greatest fault. We would accept these schools because the are fellows of like kin and kind. In turn this is part of the reason they would join our conference. We do not need to prove ourselves to sports networks or academic institutions in order to survive. We will find our own way thank you very much. In the end the B12 exist because we refuse to quit. We refuses to be bullied into oblivion just because a corporate executive or a conference commissioner sneers at us. We are the B12 and those who do not like us can stick it.

helcap

The University of Colorado Board of Regents has scheduled a Special Board Meeting for this evening from 5::00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Mtn). This is the second special meeting the Board has scheduled this week, with the first being on Wednesday evening, just two days ago. They were apparently "briefed" by representatives of the Athletic Department concerning the Big-12 expansion plans.

Given it is called their "Annual Retreat" which they have held in July for a number of years I don't make anything of that.

Nick Danger

Given it is called their "Annual Retreat" which they have held in July for a number of years I don't make anything of that.
I didn't say it was intended as some sort of special meeting! I too can read and was fully aware that this Retreat was an annual event and was scheduled a while back! The point I was trying to make was it would provide an opportunity for the Regents to vote, receive any additional briefings, or take some other Formal action that they didn't have during the meeting tonight!

And my comment at the end wasn't directed solely at the significance of the Retreat, which you seemed to focus your snarkyness on, but at the veracity of all the information as a whole. As the meeting tonight might have nothing to do with the Big-12 at all, or it could have been called at the request of ESPN, who could have been trying to pressure the Regents to not agree to the Big-12's offer right now!

Last edited:
Regarding Swimswam’s previous tweets of Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson and Florida State being in talks to join the SEC.

Braden Kieth’s (Swimswam) following tweets—
I recognize that nobody from any institution involved will ever say "yeah we were working on that, but it fell through." So many will judge the truth on the outcome of the conversation, whether they make it work and the teams move. Regardless, the conversation is happening.

But, this is the funnest part of sports, right? The arguing over things that will never publicly be proven true or false beyond a shadow of a doubt? Note that not one of these guys have said "I talked to someone in X's office, and they said it was not happening."

One football guy told me today that my reporting couldn't possibly be legitimate because we post articles about how fast a swimmer can kick a 100 yard free. *Just because you don't understand anything about swimming, doesn't mean we don't understand anything about football."

Football is king. But everyone is treating basketball as "rounding error" in realignment, and it's more than that. Not that I think basketball keeps anything together, but I think basketball could provide a comfortable Plan B for programs like BC, Syracuse, and even Pitt.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

His other tweets—
I recognize that nobody from any institution involved will ever say "yeah we were working on that, but it fell through." So many will judge the truth on the outcome of the conversation, whether they make it work and the teams move. Regardless, the conversation is happening.

But, this is the funnest part of sports, right? The arguing over things that will never publicly be proven true or false beyond a shadow of a doubt? Note that not one of these guys have said "I talked to someone in X's office, and they said it was not happening."

One football guy told me today that my reporting couldn't possibly be legitimate because we post articles about how fast a swimmer can kick a 100 yard free. *Just because you don't understand anything about swimming, doesn't mean we don't understand anything about football."

Football is king. But everyone is treating basketball as "rounding error" in realignment, and it's more than that. Not that I think basketball keeps anything together, but I think basketball could provide a comfortable Plan B for programs like BC, Syracuse, and even Pitt.

Actually the former chancellor of UNC just admitted on a radio show this week that they talked to the SEC in 2010 and it fell through, on UNC's end. They went with Mizzou the next year instead. So sometimes they do say that.

Regarding this report, I'm sure these conversations happen more than we think. They're certainly happening now; why wouldn't they be?

For the Big XII, the interesting point for us, I think, is that the ACC grant of rights is so tied up in their ESPN TV contract that I doubt anything comes of the ACC-Pac 12 talks that is substantial enough for the Pac's purposes, reason being that to reassure the Pac's "nervous 8" it would have to be contractual, but alteration of the ACC's TV contract opens the door to claims that the GOR agreement has been nullified. It's a catch-22 for the Pac: they need the specific thing that the ACC isn't likely able to give.