• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Virginia Frog

A majority of the country still lives in texas or eastward - this is a difficult nut to crack for the pac 12 - even ranked teams get low viewership compared to the more eastern teams
The center of the US population has only been west of the Mississippi River for about 50 years. In has been moving westward forever but has taken a much more southern movement since the '60s (air conditioning!)

In 2020, the calculation of the population center point is Wright County, MO/nearest town Hartville -middle/south part of the state.

(The big topic for demographers today is the recent SCOUS abortion ruling and it's effect on the southerly movement of the US population - since many of the no/limited abortion states tend to be in the south. They believe that there may be a steady and deliberate movement of young college-educated women to move to states more NE and West for their careers and as a result long term their families.)

Wexahu

The center of the US population has only been west of the Mississippi River for about 50 years. In has been moving westward forever but has taken a much more southern movement since the '60s (air conditioning!)

In 2020, the calculation of the population center point is Wright County, MO/nearest town Hartville -middle/south part of the state.

(The big topic for demographers today is the recent SCOUS abortion ruling and it's effect on the southerly movement of the US population - since many of the no/limited abortion states tend to be in the south. They believe that there may be a steady and deliberate movement of young college-educated women to move to states more NE and West for their careers and as a result long term their families.)
If those people migrating north are doing so for the right to abort their fetuses, wouldn't that offset whatever population growth would occur by their moving northeast and west? And I would guess since the south seemingly is going to ban abortions and actually require that babies be born, that it would be the area that would see more net population growth in the long term.

Eight

I’m reading reports of the ACC and PAC 12 leftovers seeking a “loose” alliance. If that happens it’s tough to see a way forward for the BIG 12.

why? the last "loose" alliance the pac was part of ended when one the other two alliance members taking usc and ucla

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

If those people migrating north are doing so for the right to abort their fetuses, wouldn't that offset whatever population growth would occur by their moving northeast and west? And I would guess since the south seemingly is going to ban abortions and actually require that babies be born, that it would be the area that would see more net population growth in the long term.
I'm NOT a demographer but your thoughts I find interesting and could be very right-on.

My guess it the concern for demographers and their clients (futurists/planners in government organizations and big companies) is that this ruling could have a measurable effect on young educated women, their life decisions and their role in the work force.

@MHver3 tweeting, “The four corners schools have all their legal affairs in order and are ready to accept an invitation if one comes. B12 still working out details with tv partners and their lawyers. WA/OR have not applied.”

He also states that the Big 12 may have to bring them in as full revenue members which is sensitive because last year’s four new ones are graduated.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I’m reading reports of the ACC and PAC 12 leftovers seeking a “loose” alliance. If that happens it’s tough to see a way forward for the BIG 12.

Heh. CBS doesn't like my adblocker. Screw them.

I don't see how the ACC can do a damned thing. Their GOR is tied up until 2036. They already play a Conference Championship Game, and now they're proposing another between their Champ and the PAC Champ?

What the heck is a loose alliance, and how could that even work?

Most of these schools have their schedules filled for years ahead of time. Plus, how can they do this with their current media deals?

And the conference champions of the ACC and PAC meet to play in Vegas?

What?!? How and why? So you can guarantee you knock one of them out of what little playoff hopes they had?

This Alliance 2.0 sound even more stupid than the original Alliance that ended with USC/UCLA in the B1G.

It worked so well, the PAC wants to double down on it.

Paul in uhh

@MHver3 tweeting, “The four corners schools have all their legal affairs in order and are ready to accept an invitation if one comes. B12 still working out details with tv partners and their lawyers. WA/OR have not applied.”

He also states that the Big 12 may have to bring them in as full revenue members which is sensitive because last year’s four new ones are graduated.

I have found his tweets to be the most accurate so far. remember he predicted usc/ucla leaving back in april.

TCUdirtbag

I don’t think it’s that hard to explain. 4 are flagship/land grant Power 5s. The others aren’t.

McFroggin

I’m ok with BYU crying and leaving. Hello Stanford.

We have water. Those AZ schools need to remember that...I pledge to send each school one (1) 16.9oz bottle after they fill out the appropriate government paperwoke.

Not a typo.
I speculate that water will be an an issue at some point for continued growth in Arizona. The west coast may be tested this summer with rationing. I wonder how much water is used on those desert golf courses. The Rio Grande here In Texas is running low.