• The KillerFrogs

Big-12 distribute record 470 million amid realignment

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Bottom line: we're getting less money than last year.

Associated Press
IRVING, Texas -- Big 12 schools will share in a record $470 million of revenue distribution, the conference announced Friday while wrapping up its first spring meetings as a 14-team league and before growing by two more universities.

While the 10 full-share members will get smaller amounts than they got last year because of the addition of the four schools that joined the league for the 2023-24 academic year, commissioner Brett Yormark said the conference is more relevant than it has ever been.

"We went with stability as a conference and we felt it was investing in all the right ways and for all the right reasons," Yormark said. "Clearly that was the right one for this conference as we think about where we're going."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...istribute-record-470-million-amid-realignment

Froglaw

BYU SHOULD GET BUBKIST,

Brought nothing but crap and crud to the conference.

Not to mentioned screwed up my afternoon yesterday ringing my broken doorbell next to my NO SOLICITING sign.

I guess English at BYU is an elective.

Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

BYU SHOULD GET BUBKIST,

Not to mentioned screwed up my afternoon yesterday tinging my broken doorbell next to my NO SOLICITING sign.

Now get off my lawn.
But they were giving away a free copy of Joe Smith's King James Bible fan fiction. They probably figure it's only soliciting if they ask you to pay for it.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Not to mentioned screwed up my afternoon yesterday ringing my broken doorbell next to my NO SOLICITING sign.

Now get off my lawn.
See, you just need a bigger and more comprehensive sign: "NO SOLICITING! RELIGIOUS OR OTHERWISE!"

BYU SHOULD GET BUBKIST,

Now get off my lawn.
I get it that BYU is real weird and can be a neighborhood bully. With that being said, they are not a financial drain on the league since they have a national following.

On the other hand, adding Cincinnati and UCF was probably a financial mistake.

The Bad Guy

I get it that BYU is real weird and can be a neighborhood bully. With that being said, they are not a financial drain on the league since they have a national following.

Out of all the teams in the new BIG 12, I think UCF could end up being the best in terms of money. Huge school and will only continue to grow.

hometown frog

Out of all the teams in the new BIG 12, I think UCF could end up being the best in terms of money. Huge school and will only continue to grow.
Agreed. And I tend to think Cinci has enough of an athletic department with history that they will elevate their product and become a top half program across the board.

TooColdU

You realize that we had to design our conference baseball schedules around BYU because they didn't want to play on Sundays?

Every series they had this year was Thursday-Saturday. Even the conference tournament had to end a day earlier than usual because BYU insisted on not playing on Sunday.

They didn't even make the tournament. So maybe not a financial drain, but present other problems that weren't needed. Plus they did horrible in sports this year. Don't think they are going to turn it around anytime soon.

Froglaw

See, you just need a bigger and more comprehensive sign: "NO SOLICITING! RELIGIOUS OR OTHERWISE!"
I can usually get them to run away screaming.

Ding Dong: “My name is Andy and this is my associate Kevin.”

Froglaw, “Great, I’m glad you dropped by. Either of you have access to a live chicken? My dark arts Priest is in the backyard and he says he needs one to complete his alter to Goza The Destroyer of Worlds.”

You realize that we had to design our conference baseball schedules around BYU because they didn't want to play on Sundays?

Every series they had this year was Thursday-Saturday. Even the conference tournament had to end a day earlier than usual because BYU insisted on not playing on Sunday.

They didn't even make the tournament. So maybe not a financial drain, but present other problems that weren't needed. Plus they did horrible in sports this year. Don't think they are going to turn it around anytime soon.
I know about the weird Sunday exception stuff along with the weird draconian honor code as well. If I had attended BYU when I was a student, they probably would have severely disciplined me or kicked me out. With that being, I value them more as a conference member than UCF or Cincinnati. They may not have had a good year in sports but they pass the eyeball and butts in seats test. That matters more for conference revenue than anything.

froginaustin

I know about the weird Sunday exception stuff along with the weird draconian honor code as well. If I had attended BYU when I was a student, they probably would have severely disciplined me or kicked me out. With that being, I value them more as a conference member than UCF or Cincinnati. They may not have had a good year in sports but they pass the eyeball and butts in seats test. That matters more for conference revenue than anything.

UCF and Cincy do not have a history of stabbing conference mates in the back. Or using religion as the thin end of a wedge to separate themselves from conference partners, to gain competitive advantages.

Either they take the conference deal or not. If not, independence is an option for them. That means they agree to rules that the rest of the conference agrees to, or they go their own way.

I have nothing against the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints. Lots of their members attend UUtah or Utah State, and a large number of other institutions including TCU. My problem is with BYU, and the intercollegiate sports history and culture that BYU has, of trying to screw their conference mates in the board room as opposed to winning on the field.

Trying to make this sort of objection as one about their "honor code" is a joke. It's an attempt to tell the rest of the college sports world to ignore what they're really about, college-athletics wise, and shame (ha!) those that have no such "honor code".

'Nuff said on this subject, by me anyway.

tcudoc

That means they agree to rules that the rest of the conference agrees to, or they go their own way.
I like BYU, but liking them isn't the right thing to do. I can't ever change the things I feel. But, everything has turned around. BYU has been in so many different conferences. Packing up...shacking up. That's all they ever want to do. Maybe they should just go their own way.

Last edited: