• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 announces future football conference opponents

An-Cap Frog

Scheduling 8 conference games has nothing to do with them winning national championships.
Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

More importantly, it hasn't hurt them.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don't mind it a bit. If we somehow avoid 11am-2:30 kickoffs in September, then I'll be really happy.

An-Cap Frog

How do you know that? How do you know playing 9 games hurts anyone?
It is our assumption that 9 conference games presents a higher percentage of loss. I am assuming that statistically this is true. Have you seen an indication that playing 8 conference games has hurt the seeding of SEC teams?

Wexahu

It is our assumption that 9 conference games presents a higher percentage of loss. I am assuming that statistically this is true. Have you seen an indication that playing 8 conference games has hurt the seeding of SEC teams?
I think it’s absolutely possible that if an SEC school traded a win over an FCS school for one over a solid SEC it could have impacted their CFP chances. Alabama could have easily squeezed ahead of Ohio Stare last year. As it stood they didn’t have enough good wins.

You can’t just assume you’re gonna lose that 9th game. In fact, if you’re that good you’ll win it 80% of the time.

An-Cap Frog

I think it’s absolutely possible that if an SEC school traded a win over an FCS school for one over a solid SEC it could have impacted their CFP chances. Alabama could have easily squeezed ahead of Ohio Stare last year. As it stood they didn’t have enough good wins.

You can’t just assume you’re gonna lose that 9th game. In fact, if you’re that good you’ll win it 80% of the time.
The SEC clearly plays only 8 conference games to improve its chances of having a playoff team. This is not a controversial statement.

Wexahu

The SEC clearly plays only 8 conference games to improve its chances of having a playoff team. This is not a controversial statement.
No they don’t clearly do that. If that is in fact the reason (which it isn’t), it’s a terrible strategy. They’re gonna have a playoff team every year, even if they played 12 league games. And rightfully so, because it’s the best conference.

They probably cost themselves a second team last year because of the 8-game schedule.

Casey T

Bama wasn’t getting in last year because they had 2 losses, end of story. Wouldn’t have mattered if they played 11 P5 teams, committee takes 11-1 over 10-2 every time

Wexahu

Bama wasn’t getting in last year because they had 2 losses, end of story. Wouldn’t have mattered if they played 11 P5 teams, committee takes 11-1 over 10-2 every time
You don't think had they played and beat, say, Georgia, they wouldn't have gotten in over Ohio State? I think you're wrong on that.

At one time I was told that they'd ALWAYS take a two loss SEC team over a one loss non-blue blood. And I was raked over the coals for disputing that. And now this.

FloridaFrog76129

Few thoughts:
  • Losing Texas/OU at home in alternating years is a noticeable drag on our home slate every year.
  • Glad the Baylor game is protected, at least for the next few years.
  • 2025's home schedule is ROUGH.
  • At least one good Away game destination every year, so that's nice.
…can’t wait for the 20% increase in ticket prices..

Agree with others - we need 5 and 5. 4 home games is lame. Especially if two of the games are body bags…

Kind of sucks that TCU does not get another home game against Kansas State until 2026. I felt like last year stirred up some bad blood between the two teams and was hoping that the Big XII would try to capitalize on a potential budding rivalry, especially at a time when the level of competition for football in the conference is in question.