• The KillerFrogs

Best college running back of all-time?

Who is the best college football running back of all-time?

• Archie Griffin - Ohio State

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Barry Sanders - Oklahoma State

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Herschel Walker - Georgia

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Earl Campbell - Texas

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Bo Jackson - Auburn

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Ron Dayne - Wisconsin

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Tony Dorsett - Pittsburgh

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 17.2%

• Total voters

maximilian

Can we at least mention the NCAA all time rushing leader, Ron Dayne from Wisky? I know the dude had one of the best OL a RB could have, but the same can be said about Emmitt Smith in his pro career, and we still laud him as one of the greats.

geefrogs

Can we at least mention the NCAA all time rushing leader, Ron Dayne from Wisky? I know the dude had one of the best OL a RB could have, but the same can be said about Emmitt Smith in his pro career, and we still laud him as one of the greats.

he is listed.

Frog Brother

Voted for Bo Jackson but could have voted for Herschel Walker or Earl Campbell from that list. Didn't see enough of Barry Sanders in college and Toney Dorsett was a different kind of back. Great but different. Jackson, Walker and Campbell imposed their will on opponents.

Limey Frog

Just to stoke the fire a bit...In that 1981 Sugar Bowl, the "everything else" you allude to was 150 rushing yards on 36 carries. Meh. Sanders beat that total in every single college game he ever started (granted, he only started his junior year...Thurman Thomas and all). Sanders also beat Walker's best yearly total of 1,891 yards by more than 700 (2,628), and more than doubled Walker's best touchdown total of 18 (37). And those numbers don't include the 222 yards (17 below his season average) and 5 touchdowns Sanders had in the bowl game that year.

True, but those 150 yards came with both Georgia TDs. As I said, that Georgia offense was hardly imaginative. At times Vince Dooley made Woody Hayes look like Pop Warner when it came to offensive innovation. ND had a great defense and they knew what was coming on every play. That was true for most of the games Georgia played. Comparing numbers isn't always a great indicator. None of these guys played for or against the same teams in the same circumstances. Ultimately it's all a matter of perspective and is entirely subjective. I feel that Walker did more on his own contextually than anyone else. But Sanders can probably claim that just as strongly.

DannyAdelante

Barry Sanders. His final season was incredible.

Had it not been for injuries his sophomore and junior seasons, Adrian Peterson would be on that list. He was amazing in 2004, was good with a bum ankle in 2005, and he was running away with the Heisman in 2006 until he broke his collarbone.

Don't think Archie Griffin should be getting too many votes. OJ Simpson deserved two Heismans far more than Griffin.

Archie Griffin ran for 1,450 yards and 4 TDs for Ohio State, who were undefeated (until their Rose Bowl loss to UCLA). Chuck Muncie ran for 1,460 yards and 13 TDs and Cal won a share of the Pac-8 title with Cal.
It would have been a nice story - Two-time Heisman winner leads undefeated Ohio State team to a national title. But Muncie was the better player that year.

froginaustin

Campbell hung in for his entire college eligibility, and that's the reason I picked him over Herschel. If Walker had stayed in college for 4 years and stayed healthy, maybe he would close this conversation.

geefrogs

I know, I just wanted to throw a mention his way in the thread is all.

my bad. I thought you were asking why he wasnt an option.

I am surprised nobody has voted for him at all. Maybe because he is from Wisky and we just beat them in the Rose Bowl gives TCU fans the impression that he isnt as good as his numbers project? Just a thought. Or maybe a lot of TCU fans dont watch Big Ten football? Or maybe we cant get his horrible tenure as a New York Giant out of our heads.

geefrogs

Also, cant help but think that Marcus Dupree would be on this list had things gone differently for him at OU. That 30 for 30 on him was great. Maybe the ultimate "what might have been" athlete of our time.

masterfrog

I guess I have a hard time understanding why somebody who wasn't even good enough to start on his own team for more than one season would be considered the greatest ever. Sanders had a really special season, but he got to hold Thurman Thomas's jock for two years. He was never even able to work into a rotation like Campbell did with Leaks at Texas. Walker wins this one, but maybe I am tainted because I went to the Nebraska-Oklahoma State game in 1988 and watched Ken Clark for Nebraska look like the better running back when the teams met and Nebraska won 63-35.

Frog-in-law1995

True, but those 150 yards came with both Georgia TDs.

Big whoop. A 3-yard run and a 1-yard run that took him 2 tries.

OK...I'm giving you a hard time. Herschel was every bit as hold-your-breath exciting as Bo or Barry. I can't make a good argument against him being the best college RB talent of all time, but it's fun to try.

On a related side-note, looking back at the '81 Sugar Bowl stats, Georgia had a total of 127 yards of offense, punted 11 times and still won. Amazing.

roddog

Banned
I guess I have a hard time understanding why somebody who wasn't even good enough to start on his own team for more than one season would be considered the greatest ever. Sanders had a really special season, but he got to hold Thurman Thomas's jock for two years.

lots of people on the bench are amazing players, tom brady

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I've seen quite a few great college running backs. The best I ever saw in person is Billy Sims. Surprised he's not part of the list.

NTXCoog

Give me Sanders. He may have only had one great season, but it is a season that may never be touched.

Keep in mind that his single season rushing record of 2628 yards was done in 11 games. Among the NCAA's stupid rules, bowl game stats from that era don't count. If they did, you'd add another 222 yards and 5 TDs which he accomplished in only 3 quarters. The next closest to that 2628 is Kevin Smith at 2567 which took 14 games.

He rushed for 238.9 YPG that season. Second closest is Marcus Allen at 212.9.

He still holds about 30 NCAA records. ESPN had him #2 all time for ALL college football players, not just RBs. He was behind only Red Grange.

And for those who say he couldn't be greatest in college because he was only good enough to start one year. Maybe he was good enough to start, but he was behind a guy who got 4600 career yards himself (not including bowls). Hard for a coach to sit a guy like that.