• The KillerFrogs

BE expansion report

Big Frog II

I still think having the Service Acadamies in the Big East would make it VERY difficult for the BcS powers to take that AQ spot away. They do not want Congress getting upset, and believe me they would.

JimSwinkLives!

They can park their other sports in the Big Sky Conference. It's a good geographic fit for them. Other members include Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, Montana, Montana State, Portland State, and Idaho State.

angelo's frog

BTW, as I understood it one of the benefits of the BE was raising the academic profile of the university. Replacing Syracuse and Pitt with ECU and Temple ain't exactly accomplishing that. The mere fact that a school is on the eastern seaboard doesn't make it Harvard. Temple = Colorado State and New Mexico > ECU. Rutgers and UConn are now the bell cows of Big East football academically. WVU, USF, Cincy and L'ville are tier three so overall the BE may actually be worse than the MWC.

HUT-Frog

I still think having the Service Acadamies in the Big East would make it VERY difficult for the BcS powers to take that AQ spot away. They do not want Congress getting upset, and believe me they would.

Touche'!

But . . . neither are in an AQ conference now, so . . .

Not sure this is any new info. Been known for a while that they basically accepted before the Pitt/Syracuse thing disrupted things for a while and made them sit back and want to make sure nothing else goes down. The only thing that could have possibly changed is some sort of behind the scenes solidarity (i.e. all BE commit to turning down the B-12) and doubt that happened. The other thing I guess is that maybe they've been convinced that if they do commit, things will stabilize in the BE, and they are more likely to be in a better situation.

More likely however, seems to me the Navy and AFA to BE won't happen officially until the other dominoes fall.

cdsfrog

Not sure this is any new info. Been known for a while that they basically accepted before the Pitt/Syracuse thing disrupted things for a while and made them sit back and want to make sure nothing else goes down. The only thing that could have possibly changed is some sort of behind the scenes solidarity (i.e. all BE commit to turning down the B-12) and doubt that happened. The other thing I guess is that maybe they've been convinced that if they do commit, things will stabilize in the BE, and they are more likely to be in a better situation.

More likely however, seems to me the Navy and AFA to BE won't happen officially until the other dominoes fall.

Navy was going to join prior.

Not Airforce, at least according to what I read yesterday and today

Limey Frog

I'm sick of all this 'footprint' 'TV markets' crap. We need good and improving football programs who can build compelling rivalries. Boot the basketball schools or split, immediately. Add UCF, Houston, ECU, and maybe S. Miss. and/or SMU. Yes, this makes the CUSA 2.0, but we're up poop creek here. What choice is there?

Longhorn Conference will not add TCU. If it wants to destroy the Big East, it will. And I think it does. Wouldn't be surprised to see those scumbags take Boise as well just to put the last nail in our coffin.

HFrog1999

I'm sick of all this 'footprint' 'TV markets' crap. We need good and improving football programs who can build compelling rivalries. Boot the basketball schools or split, immediately. Add UCF, Houston, ECU, and maybe S. Miss. and/or SMU. Yes, this makes the CUSA 2.0, but we're up poop creek here. What choice is there?

Longhorn Conference will not add TCU. If it wants to destroy the Big East, it will. And I think it does. Wouldn't be surprised to see those scumbags take Boise as well just to put the last nail in our coffin.
Panic much?

West Coast Johnny

Ahhh! The service acadamies! Lets attach ourselves to them! The BCS can't possibly relegate us to minor football if we're co-branded with them. Afterall, this is America - it would be unpatriotic to relegate the acadamies to the football siberia. The Big East shoud add Carnegie-Tech.

I hope the BE stays intact, adds the academies and one all sports member to satisfy the 8 all sports members requirements. But if we lose another couple, the league has to reevaluate this no two teams from the same state stuff. If the B-12, ACC and SEC are so hell bent on new markets/states, then the league needs to take advantage of the holes they leave in Texas and Florida. Both those markets are fractured with multiple BCS leagues and together they provide 25% of all FBS players. Two teams in Texas, Florida, the east coast markets, strong basketball and the academies is a pretty good model moving forward.

angelo's frog

I know what the B10 and Pac10 think of themselves....but when did an athletic conference really pin everything on a school's academic standing?

It's certainly not everything but I would think you don't want your school's brand associated with a bunch of tier 3 commuter schools if you are trying to get people to pony up the $$$ that TCU is asking parents to pay for a supposedly superior education. Anyway, Pitt and Syracuse went to the ACC at least in part for academic reasons so it is a consideration.

froginaustin

I know what the B10 and Pac10 think of themselves....but when did an athletic conference really pin everything on a school's academic standing?

I would think that academics should be a part of the deal to the extent that one doesn't want conference-mates fudging standards to get ringer players admitted, and then signs the ringers up for courses that are automatic "A"s without the players doing any work at all. Literally. Like Auburn was caught doing just a few years back, with "directed studies" in sociology with a particular now-disgraced professor.

sous vide

bull[Craig James] on airforce

Airforce has to park their non football sports elsewhere and there is no chance in hell the MWC allows it.

Maybe the WAC?

They still fence at AFA, and neither the BE nor MWC do that...so they have some experience in multiple conferencing already.