• The KillerFrogs

#BAYLORTEARS

FroginBedford68

Hopefully this debt crisis restores Baylor to its rightful place of historic ineptitude from the mid-90s to roughly 2010 where they never achieved bowl eligibility and seldom won games out of conference. This way when the next round of realignment happens they can join SMU in a non-power conference for the rest of eternity.
But SMU is now an automatic ACC power house beside Clemson, Florida State, and....

Did they actually default?
No defaults I can see as of writing but have come dangerously close. Maturities have been hitting at the worst of times and Baylor has to issue new bonds to pay off the mature bonds (common) but the rates and ammts are out of control. Baylor is in some financial peril.

I am just a numbers guy. @Deep Purple can comment more on the politics/fundraising side of it.

Purp

Actually I was kind of hoping they would fire Aranda on Sunday, we would fire Gillespie on Monday, and then announce the hiring of Aranda as TCU DC today.

Maybe next year.
Based on Baylor's financial situation we'd probably have to do a sign and trade with cash considerations to make that work.

The TCU Football Jerk

Gosh, that's a shame. Decades of Big12 money and they can't pay their bills.

This was from a series the Waco Tribune did almost 10 years ago:

"
HIGH DEBT LEVERAGE

Outstanding debt at May 31, 2014, totaled $625 million, including $15 million out of $50 million authorized CP. Of this total, only the CP and the $67.3 million series 2008A bonds were variable rate, about 13% of total debt. The series 2008A variable rate demand bonds are subject to a floating- to fixed-rate swap contract for a fixed rate of 2.48%. The $120 million series 2012 bonds and $200 million series 2012 taxable bonds are fixed rate, and structured with bullet maturities in 2042 and 2043. This highly deferred debt structure is somewhat mitigated by no new debt plans expected through 2022, an internal funding plan for the bullet maturities, and the relative market value of the endowment ($1.15 billion).

Current debt service in fiscal 2014 was approximately $33 million, increasing to roughly $36 million by fiscal 2018 and staying at that level through 2036. MADS, however, is a very high $215 million in 2042 (the second bullet maturity is $125.6 million in 2043). The fiscal 2014 current debt burden was 5.9%, which Fitch considers moderate to moderately high. The MADs burden (fiscal 2042) was 38%, which Fitch considers very high.

Management reports that Baylor has no new debt plans at this time, and expects to retain the size of its authorized $50 million CP program. Proceeds of the $320 million bonds issued in 2012 were used, in combination with gifts and internal funds, to construct a new football stadium (which opened in fall 2014), a new business building (under construction, to open in fall 2015), and other academic, research facility and dormitory capital projects.

FUNDRAISING

Baylor is not in a comprehensive campaign, but has achieved or is close to achieving fundraising goals for several large projects, including the new football stadium and business school. The current five-year CIP envisions fundraising of $320 million (for which a related campaign has just begun). This would include some capital projects but management reports it is primarily focused on strategic program goals including student retention, scholarships, and career placement initiatives. Baylor's last comprehensive campaign ended in 2004 and raised $537 million."

They're endowment is much higher now at over $2 billion and Fitch gives them a favorable rating:

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
eh - glass houses and such on that one. We're probably not any better when it comes to saddling poor families with generational debt.
It’s not a school’s fault. If you can’t afford it don’t go. Just because someone may want to attend a certain school doesn’t mean they can or should. I don’t understand why that’s a hard concept for people to understand.

And the tuition isn’t high if people are willing to pay. When applications dry up the price is too high. That hasn’t happened.

PurplFrawg

Administrator

MSU men's basketball handles No. 6 Baylor in 88-64 revival victory​

MSU executed the Hall-of-Fame coach’s slogan to a tee Saturday afternoon in its unforeseen 88-64 beatdown of Baylor. The team controlled the glass, swallowed the Bears up defensively and turned their missed shots and turnovers into points on the other end.

Baylor was simply overwhelmed for most of the game by MSU’s defensive tenacity, falling behind by double digits early on and failing to regain enough momentum to make a dent in the Spartans’ lead.

Double D

Tier 1
BAILURE

MSU men's basketball handles No. 6 Baylor in 88-64 revival victory​

MSU executed the Hall-of-Fame coach’s slogan to a tee Saturday afternoon in its unforeseen 88-64 beatdown of Baylor. The team controlled the glass, swallowed the Bears up defensively and turned their missed shots and turnovers into points on the other end.

Baylor was simply overwhelmed for most of the game by MSU’s defensive tenacity, falling behind by double digits early on and failing to regain enough momentum to make a dent in the Spartans’ lead.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
It’s not a school’s fault. If you can’t afford it don’t go. Just because someone may want to attend a certain school doesn’t mean they can or should. I don’t understand why that’s a hard concept for people to understand.

And the tuition isn’t high if people are willing to pay. When applications dry up the price is too high. That hasn’t happened.
This is the truth. I married into a TCU family but I absolutely could not afford TCU. I went to places where I could pay my own way and borrowed a modest amount to go to BU Law. I just have zero sympathy for folks who take on massive debt bc they want to go to a particular school, especially when they get a degree and go on to teach or be a social worker. I mean we need ppl in those fields but to go to a school like TCU to get a degree for jobs like that is irresponsible if you have to borrow to do it.

Big Frog II

This is the truth. I married into a TCU family but I absolutely could not afford TCU. I went to places where I could pay my own way and borrowed a modest amount to go to BU Law. I just have zero sympathy for folks who take on massive debt bc they want to go to a particular school, especially when they get a degree and go on to teach or be a social worker. I mean we need ppl in those fields but to go to a school like TCU to get a degree for jobs like that is irresponsible if you have to borrow to do it.
You are correct. If you are on scholarship or your parent's have lots of money, go ahead and major in those fields. Just don't borrow a bazillion dollars for jobs that do not pay you enough to make loan payments and live off.