• The KillerFrogs

Baylor people are begging the legislature to keep A&M from leaving

jack the frog

Last summer Baylor grads statewide and nationwide were writing their reps to put pressure on UT and TAMU to get Baylor included in the deal over Colorado. This was successful in that we were in (backroom deals but it was there for a short time), but it slowed the process down enough for TAMU to back track and start making conversations with the SEC a reality.

No disrespect but that is just not what happened according to a couple of politicos I spoke with last year. If they were to be believed, (and they are fairly straight-forward communicators by way of our familys support in the past) there was and is still a fair amount of resentment simmering from the Richards play and a pretty strong coalition of elected who were, and I will leave it like this, vigilant in the face of possible private interest impropriety or appearance of conflict of interest. I won't repeat exactly what this rep told me as it was vulgar but it boiled down to baylor simply not having the horses to hold sway any longer.

froginaustin

No disrespect but that is just not what happened according to a couple of politicos I spoke with last year. If they were to be believed, (and they are fairly straight-forward communicators by way of our familys support in the past) there was and is still a fair amount of resentment simmering from the Richards play and a pretty strong coalition of elected who were, and I will leave it like this, vigilant in the face of possible private interest impropriety or appearance of conflict of interest. I won't repeat exactly what this rep told me as it was vulgar but it boiled down to baylor simply not having the horses to hold sway any longer.
Tell us tell us tell us tell us.

:laugh:

weklfrog

TCU also has jumped from conference to conference in the search of admittance to a BCS conference, which you have finally obtained in the Big East (my sincerest congratulations to the Frogs). Did TCU earn admission to the WAC/CUSA/MWC or were they all just a matter circumstance and timing. I would argue Baylor and Tech's inclusion into the Big XII would also be characteristic of being in the right place at the right time with your program and those who influence the right decisions. TCU last summer used pressure among their alumni to help keep Baylor out of the MWC, should the Big XII fold. I don't blame TCU for any of these things, nor do I think their is any fault to be had. TCU is merely trying to protect their own interests in anyway it can including means that are not directly related to football at all.
TCU jumped from conference to conference because conferences collapsed around us. Meanwhile, we continued to move up in the conference world, earning it by winning conference championships in every conference we were in, something baylor cannot claim. it was not just a matter of circumstance and timing, it was a matter of building a program and making ourselves attractive to other conferences, something again that baylor has not done. baylor was included in the Big 12 not because of any merit but because of political string pulling, which is not at all earning their place. That you cannot see the difference speaks volumes of the baylor mindset. If in fact TCU used their influence to try to keep baylor out of the MWC, it is because we earned our influence in the conference, not by whining to politicos and ducking for political cover.

For private schools there is no such thing as inherited power, they all have to work hard in many areas to achieve their goals. For Baylor its power has resided in the legislature due to its hardworking graduates and alumni from its law school. Our athletics programs across the board are all top notch, and while we have been futile in football for quite awhile that program is also improving steadily under the current admin. You can chastise us and mock us for not being decent at Football in the Big XII for sometime. But remember that Tech, TCU, and even UT and TAMU have all been there in the past 35 years, some not as bad, and some much worse than Baylor has been.
The only sport that matters in all of the realignment scenarios is football. Success in all of the other sports is irrelevant. And baylor has done nothing to make themselves attractive as a football member in spite of the great advantages in money and recruiting that being a member of the Big 12 conference should have given them. Instead they chose to ride the coattails of the successful members and continue to collect their unearned paychecks. Yes, TCU was there for a long time, but we have invested the resources to make our football program one of the most successful in the country. Meanwhile, baylor has had a total of one mediocre year and that in one of the weakest Big 12 seasons in recent memory. And in spite of the advantages BCS membership has given baylor, they still have been outscored by TCU 89-17 in the last three meetings (including the 45-10 shellacking last year in baylors only non-dismal year since "earning" their way into the Big 12).
A private school that can successfully protect its interests against big money public schools should only be applauded for its efforts. While our methods may be different Baylor and TCU's goals are the same, to ensure their athletics have a seat at the big boys table. And we all know that getting there and staying there is all that matters, and anyone at that table today has earned its right to be there.
A private school that has an entitlement attitude for sitting at the big boys table when they have done nothing to earn or desrve it except for ducking for political cover should only continue to be derided and mocked and not applauded. It is a complete joke to say that anyone at that table has earned their right to be there as baylor (and others) have done nothing to earn their spot.
TCU has worked very hard to get where it is today, nobody doubts that. TCU has had an uphill battle ever since the SWC collapsed, and have finally made it (I applaud you for it). Baylor has struggled and worked hard to protect itself from experiencing TCU's fate. Like TCU, we experience many fans like yourself telling Baylor it does not belong, and yet we work hard to preserve ourselves. Don't kid yourself that TCU is the only program that has worked hard to "earn" its status. Baylor is working equally hard now to preserve itself now. You may wish for Baylor's collapse into the MWC, and I may dislike TCU's chip on the shoulder attitude towards Baylor, but I have not once wished for your school and program to fail. Nor have I ever claimed that TCU has not earned it's right to be at the table by playing inferior competition. I just wish TCU fans would recognize there is more than one way to earn a seat at the table.
You earn a seat at the table by competing. There should be no other way to do it. TCU has done it, baylor has not. It is that simple.

Nick Danger

This "hearing" will have the same impact that those Congressional Sub-Committee hearings on the BCS had, which was and is for PR value only. Just like with the BCS hearings, it will allow all the usually invisible committee members some camera time for their constituents so they can have an "Harrumph" moment, then gavel the proceedings to a close and go home.

monkeyfishfrog

Pretty short-sighted on the part of Baylor fans, IMO.

If they are successful, A&M, Baylor, Tech, will be locked into the conference with Texas, while Texas piles up more unfair financial and recruiting advantages (LHN, televising HS games, etc). As time passes, A&M and Baylor will be beaten down worse and worse and the gap between the Horns and the rest of whoever is in the Big 12 will widen.

The best thing for Baylor, A&M, Tech, etc., is for the Big 12 to finally collapse, the 'horns to go independent, and then the rest of the Big 12 can finally work on setting up a reasonable, sustainable future for themselves.

Honestly I don't commend Baylor for this plea. Essentially, they are begging the legislature to mandate that they are allowed to remain the Big 12 whooping child. Woo ooo... The Big 12 has done nothing for anyone but Texas, and it boggles my mind that Nebraska and Colorado (and Texas) are the only 3 schools to have figured it out.

TCU jumped from conference to conference because conferences collapsed around us. Meanwhile, we continued to move up in the conference world, earning it by winning conference championships in every conference we were in, something baylor cannot claim. it was not just a matter of circumstance and timing, it was a matter of building a program and making ourselves attractive to other conferences, something again that baylor has not done. baylor was included in the Big 12 not because of any merit but because of political string pulling, which is not at all earning their place. That you cannot see the difference speaks volumes of the baylor mindset. If in fact TCU used their influence to try to keep baylor out of the MWC, it is because we earned our influence in the conference, not by whining to politicos and ducking for political cover.

The only sport that matters in all of the realignment scenarios is football. Success in all of the other sports is irrelevant. And baylor has done nothing to make themselves attractive as a football member in spite of the great advantages in money and recruiting that being a member of the Big 12 conference should have given them. Instead they chose to ride the coattails of the successful members and continue to collect their unearned paychecks. Yes, TCU was there for a long time, but we have invested the resources to make our football program one of the most successful in the country. Meanwhile, baylor has had a total of one mediocre year and that in one of the weakest Big 12 seasons in recent memory. And in spite of the advantages BCS membership has given baylor, they still have been outscored by TCU 89-17 in the last three meetings (including the 45-10 shellacking last year in baylors only non-dismal year since "earning" their way into the Big 12).

A private school that has an entitlement attitude for sitting at the big boys table when they have done nothing to earn or desrve it except for ducking for political cover should only continue to be derided and mocked and not applauded. It is a complete joke to say that anyone at that table has earned their right to be there as baylor (and others) have done nothing to earn their spot.

You earn a seat at the table by competing. There should be no other way to do it. TCU has done it, baylor has not. It is that simple.

+ eleventy gazillion

jack the frog

Pretty short-sighted on the part of Baylor fans, IMO.

If they are successful, A&M, Baylor, Tech, will be locked into the conference with Texas, while Texas piles up more unfair financial and recruiting advantages (LHN, televising HS games, etc). As time passes, A&M and Baylor will be beaten down worse and worse and the gap between the Horns and the rest of whoever is in the Big 12 will widen.

The best thing for Baylor, A&M, Tech, etc., is for the Big 12 to finally collapse, the 'horns to go independent, and then the rest of the Big 12 can finally work on setting up a reasonable, sustainable future for themselves.

Honestly I don't commend Baylor for this plea. Essentially, they are begging the legislature to mandate that they are allowed to remain the Big 12 whooping child. Woo ooo... The Big 12 has done nothing for anyone but Texas, and it boggles my mind that Nebraska and Colorado (and Texas) are the only 3 schools to have figured it out.

These baylor guys are incapable of thinking along those lines at this point. The 12 as become the end game.
I would bet that if bear fans could choose between staying in the 12 but remain in the cellar or bounce around a couple of lesser conferences over the next 10 and end up be a top 5 program with a national rep the vote would be too close to call.

Deep Purple

These baylor guys are incapable of thinking along those lines at this point. The 12 as become the end game.
I would bet that if bear fans could choose between staying in the 12 but remain in the cellar or bounce around a couple of lesser conferences over the next 10 and end up be a top 5 program with a national rep the vote would be too close to call.
Biggest difference between TCU and Baylor. TCU has risen to #2 in the national polls and won a Rose Bowl -- yet we still haven't reached the apex of our Goals Pyramid, which is a national title. For Baylor, remaining in the Big 12 is the be-all and end-all of their existence.

Frogs1983

While the committee does include two Baylor alumni, I seriously doubt Baylor has enough political clout to actually prevent anything from happening.

Gov. Ann is worm dirt now.No longer capable of bailing out Baylor like she did last time around!

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I found this on the texags website. Baylor is sending this out to their alumni. Apparently one Aggie alumni went to Baylor Law and received this from them.

http://www.baylor.ed...2011_08_12.html

Here's a hoot. Click on their missive and you find them wringing their hands over doing away with sacred traditional state rivalries. Where were these same sentiments as they left TCU behind to go to the Big-XII. They bemoan losing a 108 game series with the Ags. TCU (despite not being in the same conference since 1996, has played BU 106 times, and it will be 107 come 2 September.

Did we hear one peep out of BU about destroying their longest state traditional rivalry in 1996 with the team it THEN would have played more often than any other? I don't think so. They cared not a whit. "I've got mine, and AMF to those unfortunate Froggies. Gee that's too bad, but if they can't play with the big boys..." Now it's: "Don't destroy traditional state rivalries. Write the lege! Horrors! How will the state ever survive"

Jaw dislocation from talking out both sides of their mouths must be a real hazard this year to the Dear Ol' Green and Gold.

froginaustin

Nope.

The vote wouldn't be close. Among baylorfans.com posters anyway.

Deep Purple

Gov. Ann is worm dirt now.No longer capable of bailing out Baylor like she did last time around!
It wasn't just Gov. Ann during the SWC-to-Big 12 shuffle. In fact, Richards likely played the smallest role on Baylor's behalf. The major players Baylor had in their corner were Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock, a Baylor Law alum and the most powerful man in Texas government at the time, and Rep. David Sibley, a Baylor alum serving on the House committee that oversees the state's then-$3.6 billion Permanent University Fund, in which UT and A&M have predominant shares.

But those Baylor folks are long gone and the Bears no longer have any alums that highly placed or influential in state government.

Gunner

Can you belive the crap about not playing competition. Was Wisky competition. We beat OU 2 out of the 3 times we played 'em at Norman. BYU just embarrassed OU year before. And we don't play competition. Give me a break. How many times have we beaten Baylor lately.. I'm sick of these Big 12 jerks.

westoverhillbilly

Baylor should have never dropped their ban on dancing just before the breakup of the SWC in the early 1990s...

Ken Starr should re-activate the ban and hire his old nemesis, Monica Lewinsky, to be the enforcement officer...

Latest posts