• The KillerFrogs

Baylor people are begging the legislature to keep A&M from leaving

angelo's frog

Baylor has started up the political spin machine that got them included in the Big 12 and torpedoed the Pac-16. They are sending e-mails to members of the House Higher Ed committee begging them to keep the Ags from leaving due to the alleged economic impact. Meanwhile the committee has caved in and set a hearing and told A&M's pres to come testify. What a crock of BS! I think TCU folks should tell the committee to keep its nose out of sports and concentrate on running the state correctly. The members of this committee are listed below.

Chair: Rep. Dan Branch
Vice Chair: Rep. Joaquin Castro
Members: Rep. Roberto R. Alonzo
Rep. Dennis Bonnen
Rep. Donna Howard
Rep. Eric Johnson
Rep. Tryon D. Lewis
Rep. Diane Patrick

Frogcrates

Hate to break it to them but the economic impact of ATM going to the SEC would actually be considerably higher - far more visitors coming in from out of state dropping their money in Texas, not to mention the added exposure to communities in the Southeast.

Hell... Come to think of it, TCU should be receing incentives for the positive economic impact of its move to the Big East!

BeYou

While the committee does include two Baylor alumni, I seriously doubt Baylor has enough political clout to actually prevent anything from happening.

60s Frog

Tier 1
While the committee does include two Baylor alumni, I seriously doubt Baylor has enough political clout to actually prevent anything from happening.

And would Governor Good Hair call the Lege back into session to block "his" Aggies from making a run to the SEC?? I doubt it . . .

BeYou

And would Governor Good Hair call the Lege back into session to block "his" Aggies from making a run to the SEC?? I doubt it . . .

Agree. Plus he is doing that whole President thing, I'd be shocked to see him put that on hold to come back and block A&M to the SEC.

IMO, a 9 team Big XII would be best for Baylor.

angelo's frog

Hate to break it to them but the economic impact of ATM going to the SEC would actually be considerably higher - far more visitors coming in from out of state dropping their money in Texas, not to mention the added exposure to communities in the Southeast.

Hell... Come to think of it, TCU should be receing incentives for the positive economic impact of its move to the Big East!

Correct. Not to mention the potential impact of the Big 12 replacing an instate team like A&M with an out of state team like BYU which would bring more visitors to the state. I doubt the convenience store in Hearne is going to close because the Ags and Bears won't pass thru there once a year on the way to a football game.

Baylorbears11

Baylor did not call this meeting or session. This all UT's political pull. If you look, you will see that the committee seats two Baylor grads, two Longhorn grads, two Harvard grads, and one SMU grad (I believe this is all correct, feel free to correct if I am wrong). The political machine behind this meeting is NOTHING like last summer.

Last summer Baylor grads statewide and nationwide were writing their reps to put pressure on UT and TAMU to get Baylor included in the deal over Colorado. This was successful in that we were in (backroom deals but it was there for a short time), but it slowed the process down enough for TAMU to back track and start making conversations with the SEC a reality. Without TAMU, the Pac-10 blinked and invited Colorado over Baylor. UT, Tech, OU, OSU were still poised to go without the Bears if left with no other option, until Bebee came up with an 11-hour deal, and state politics were turning up the heat with TAMU looking East. So the deal was sunk and the Big XII remained.

This summer, the Big XII is slightly more stable (not a whole lot but a little bit more so) and with TAMU probably leaving there is talk of expansion not every team scattering to the winds. While many Baylor fans treasure the rivalry with TAMU, many do not feel that their departure is a deal breaker. We are more prepared to face the consequences should the conference fail. And we are also confident that so long as UT and OU remain that the conference will continue on. In this light, with the exception of a dedicated few, there is little interest in using political pressure to keep TAMU around, provided Baylor is taken care of in one form or another. That is merely protecting our interests as a university, and something I would expect TCU fans to understand. The Politics of this deal matter very little, it is only to ensure that the fallout from TAMU's departure does not negatively impact Texas, Tech, and Baylor. It could even be seen as beneficial for the state if Houston was brought to the table as a result.

Is Baylor using the political machine to stop TAMU departure? No, not really. That would be Texas this go around. Is Baylor using the political machine to protect its interests? Yes. Any good school does the same. Are Baylor grads rallying around the state to preserve BU like last summer? Not even close. This meeting, from a Baylor standpoint, is to minimize the fallout of the Aggs departure and ensure that BU will carry on in some form. If you want more dirty politicking you should watch the Texas grads in the legislature, they are the ones liable to blow this thing up.

AggieFrog

I bet the decision is made and done before that meeting even convenes. Beebe's own comments along with adding UofH cancel out any arguments this group may bring up (not to mention that they have no power to stop it).

UnderToad

Notice of the meeting on August 16th has been revised. The notice now lists testimony by four people:

Commissioner Dan Beebe, The Big Twelve Conference
Chairman Richard A. Box, Texas A&M University System Board of Regents
President R. Bowen Loftin, Texas A&M University
Commissioner Mike Slive, The Southeastern Conference

That should be interesting.

http://www.capitol.s...11081614001.PDF

froginaustin

I bet the decision is made and done before that meeting even convenes. Beebe's own comments along with adding UofH cancel out any arguments this group may bring up (not to mention that they have no power to stop it).
My guess is that you are right about when the decision will be made, if it really has to be made.

If by "this group" you mean a few influential members of the Lege, you're dead wrong if you think the Lege couldn't make enough threats and promises to stop such a move in its tracks. Mind you, I hope the Lege stays away from interfering in what-university-belongs-to-what-conference decisions.

If by "this group" you mean a bunch of UTx, TTech and Baylor fans, I have no idea how much pressure could be brought to bear on the Lege. Probably not enough to stop a move. If academic officials, a whole lot of pressure could be brought to bear on the Lege and through the Lege on the A&M administration. Enough to torpedo a move? I hope not, but I'm certain it's a possibility.

Assuming that the whole A&M-to-the-SEC discussion is not Aggie echo chamber nonsense and wishful thinking, as I think it likely is, this legislative committee meeting is a waste of public resources.

:laugh:

weklfrog

Baylor did not call this meeting or session. This all UT's political pull. If you look, you will see that the committee seats two Baylor grads, two Longhorn grads, two Harvard grads, and one SMU grad (I believe this is all correct, feel free to correct if I am wrong). The political machine behind this meeting is NOTHING like last summer.

Last summer Baylor grads statewide and nationwide were writing their reps to put pressure on UT and TAMU to get Baylor included in the deal over Colorado. This was successful in that we were in (backroom deals but it was there for a short time), but it slowed the process down enough for TAMU to back track and start making conversations with the SEC a reality. Without TAMU, the Pac-10 blinked and invited Colorado over Baylor. UT, Tech, OU, OSU were still poised to go without the Bears if left with no other option, until Bebee came up with an 11-hour deal, and state politics were turning up the heat with TAMU looking East. So the deal was sunk and the Big XII remained.

This summer, the Big XII is slightly more stable (not a whole lot but a little bit more so) and with TAMU probably leaving there is talk of expansion not every team scattering to the winds. While many Baylor fans treasure the rivalry with TAMU, many do not feel that their departure is a deal breaker. We are more prepared to face the consequences should the conference fail. And we are also confident that so long as UT and OU remain that the conference will continue on. In this light, with the exception of a dedicated few, there is little interest in using political pressure to keep TAMU around, provided Baylor is taken care of in one form or another. That is merely protecting our interests as a university, and something I would expect TCU fans to understand. The Politics of this deal matter very little, it is only to ensure that the fallout from TAMU's departure does not negatively impact Texas, Tech, and Baylor. It could even be seen as beneficial for the state if Houston was brought to the table as a result.

Is Baylor using the political machine to stop TAMU departure? No, not really. That would be Texas this go around. Is Baylor using the political machine to protect its interests? Yes. Any good school does the same. Are Baylor grads rallying around the state to preserve BU like last summer? Not even close. This meeting, from a Baylor standpoint, is to minimize the fallout of the Aggs departure and ensure that BU will carry on in some form. If you want more dirty politicking you should watch the Texas grads in the legislature, they are the ones liable to blow this thing up.
TCU has made its statements on the field and has progressed and gotten where it is now thru making good decisions, investing resources wisely, and hard work. It has not gotten where it is by whining to the legislature to protect it because it is unable to compete on its own. TCU has earned its current status and high level of national respect; Baylor has no respect in collegiate football and has not earned a bit of what they have.

Baylorbears11

TCU has made its statements on the field and has progressed and gotten where it is now thru making good decisions, investing resources wisely, and hard work. It has not gotten where it is by whining to the legislature to protect it because it is unable to compete on its own. TCU has earned its current status and high level of national respect; Baylor has no respect in collegiate football and has not earned a bit of what they have.

TCU also has jumped from conference to conference in the search of admittance to a BCS conference, which you have finally obtained in the Big East (my sincerest congratulations to the Frogs). Did TCU earn admission to the WAC/CUSA/MWC or were they all just a matter circumstance and timing. I would argue Baylor and Tech's inclusion into the Big XII would also be characteristic of being in the right place at the right time with your program and those who influence the right decisions. TCU last summer used pressure among their alumni to help keep Baylor out of the MWC, should the Big XII fold. I don't blame TCU for any of these things, nor do I think their is any fault to be had. TCU is merely trying to protect their own interests in anyway it can including means that are not directly related to football at all.

For private schools there is no such thing as inherited power, they all have to work hard in many areas to achieve their goals. For Baylor its power has resided in the legislature due to its hardworking graduates and alumni from its law school. Our athletics programs across the board are all top notch, and while we have been futile in football for quite awhile that program is also improving steadily under the current admin. You can chastise us and mock us for not being decent at Football in the Big XII for sometime. But remember that Tech, TCU, and even UT and TAMU have all been there in the past 35 years, some not as bad, and some much worse than Baylor has been.

A private school that can successfully protect its interests against big money public schools should only be applauded for its efforts. While our methods may be different Baylor and TCU's goals are the same, to ensure their athletics have a seat at the big boys table. And we all know that getting there and staying there is all that matters, and anyone at that table today has earned its right to be there.

TCU has worked very hard to get where it is today, nobody doubts that. TCU has had an uphill battle ever since the SWC collapsed, and have finally made it (I applaud you for it). Baylor has struggled and worked hard to protect itself from experiencing TCU's fate. Like TCU, we experience many fans like yourself telling Baylor it does not belong, and yet we work hard to preserve ourselves. Don't kid yourself that TCU is the only program that has worked hard to "earn" its status. Baylor is working equally hard now to preserve itself now. You may wish for Baylor's collapse into the MWC, and I may dislike TCU's chip on the shoulder attitude towards Baylor, but I have not once wished for your school and program to fail. Nor have I ever claimed that TCU has not earned it's right to be at the table by playing inferior competition. I just wish TCU fans would recognize there is more than one way to earn a seat at the table.

Latest posts