• The KillerFrogs

Basketball Thoughts

Francis Xavier

!May be long!

If we were to crunch the #s over how much money is pissed away in college athletics we would be appalled.

Reality is, TCU has virtually 0 basketball history. I have as high of expectations as anyone, but I am also realistic. Of the 300+ teams in CBB, you have the blue bloods and a few others who are good every year, and that is it. You have half of a conferences teams trying to make up impossible ground year in and year out. Most “big” hires eventually fail. Just keep this in mind.

If we didn’t block Jamie from getting to UCLA, I may not feel the same. But we did, and firing him 1.5 years later would be idiotic from a $ perspective. I know alot of you are obsessed with money coaches get, but you seemingly forget the absurd buyouts and costs associated with firing and hiring another.

Many programs hire and fire coaches every 4-5 years expecting different results in an uneven playing field.

kansas, duke , unc, etc openly cheat, get away with it and that is that. Teams like WVU get away with mugging their opponents and refs allow it because it is their “brand.”

Dixon probably exceeded realistic expectations his first two years. If you recall, we were a bad call on Jaylen Fisher away from beating WVU and possibly making tourney in Jamie’s first year here.

two years ago, we should have absolutely been in.

last year was meh. This year is forgettable.

it is extremely frustrating watching a game like today where we couldnt throw [ Finebaum ] in the ocean for the first half, then turned it on in the second half, only to have dumb foul calls, turnovers and a stupid technical called against us that eliminated any momentum we had.

refs do impact outcomes. WVU seemed to be on the free throw line the whole game.

all this is to say this: Most likely, Jamie has one more year. If he can hold the core together, we should be competitive. Miles and RJ shouldnt even test the waters at this point. Miles has cooled off significantly and RJ is a walking bad decision.

I could care less about what happens from here through the end of season. We are what we are right now. Capable of besting ok state twice and holding serve against wvu and cheating refs.

I am not overly reactionary on a game by game basis. If the covid pauses are true, we deserve a tiny bit of leeway for that.

In my mind, one more year. If jamie doesnt make tourney, then bye bye. Even though that likely wont make us better . Only so many schools can do what tech and baylor have.

SuperTFrog

I agree that next year with his guys coming back for their senior year (Nembhard, Samuel) and PJ and Farabello as upper class men, throw in Mike Miles with a year under his belt and we have no excuse not to win enough to be, at the very least, a bubble team.

I will say, it doesn’t seem like Samuel is any better than when he came in and I feel like he will average 9.5 points and 8.5 rebounds next year as well.

I still think we are lucky to have Dixon, but next year will be a big year for him.

Francis Xavier

I agree that next year with his guys coming back for their senior year (Nembhard, Samuel) and PJ and Farabello as upper class men, throw in Mike Miles with a year under his belt and we have no excuse not to win enough to be, at the very least, a bubble team.

I will say, it doesn’t seem like Samuel is any better than when he came in and I feel like he will average 9.5 points and 8.5 rebounds next year as well.

I still think we are lucky to have Dixon, but next year will be a big year for him.
Samuel just doesnt seem to have either the conditioning or the desire to be dominant. He isnt super coordinated.

I agree though. No reason not to be good. You can see shades of very good in this team.

flyfishingfrog

I feel like our problem is our older guys - they just aren’t that great
They have moments but aren’t consistent and have as many bad games as good
as Long as they are the “leaders” we are limited in our success and need to backfill them with younger guys with more talent to improve

tetonfrog

How much of JD’s $10 million deal comes off the book if he gets fired next year? I still don’t see TCU eating a big, bad contract for basketball. Why would that change next year?

wilson912

I don’t understand why the ball has to go through RJ. Offensively he’s cooled off a lot, we could live with some of the turnovers when he was putting up 17-20 points per game. I’d like to the ball in Miles’ hands more. Need a PF and more PG help next year. Ledee continues to progress while Kevin is regressing. Easley doesn’t seem to be a Power 5 player. How bout some minutes for Frank? Very disappointed in JD.

Atomic Frawg

Arguably, the bulk of Dixon's success didn't come with his recruits. Kenrich, Vlad, Bane, Fisher, Shephard, and Miller were all recruuted under Trent IIRC. So far, again to my recollection, there hasn't been a standout CJD recruit, and we lack floor leadership. At the end of close games we don't have anyone we really want to see with the ball who we trust to make the right decisions. Bane, Robinson, and even Fisher gave us that.

I also don't think he places enough emphasis on DATOs (dumb @$$ turnovers) and free throws. These are the obvious WTH turnovers that make you pull your hair out or make you gesture towards throwing something at your own TV. Two players, whose names are initials that contain the letter "J," are notorious for DATOs.

Whatbis most frustrating for me is we never know what we are going to get when a CJD team takes the floor. It's feast or famine. We have the talent to compete with (and should have beaten) a rabked Mizzou team on the road, sweep a ranked Okie Lite team, push OU and KU to the final minute, etc. That points to coaching. We have the talent to win more games, but get helter skelter play. At this point the team still doesn't seem to have a philosophy, are slow on cuts and defending cuts, and seems to wing most possessions outside the high pick and roll.

As for TCU having "0" basketball history, you obviously weren't here during the Tubbs (may he rest in peace) era. Run-DMC was one of the most hated places to play in the country. The place was always packed - because we were good. Had he been allowed to stay I think we would certainly have a higher basketball reputation than we do now.

Last edited:

4th. down

Arguably, the bulk of Dixon's success didn't come with his recruits. Kenrich, Vlad, Bane, Fisher, Shephard, and Miller were all recruuted under Trent IIRC. So far, again to my recollection, there hasn't been a standout CJD recruit, and we lack floor leadership. At the end of close games we don't have anyone we really want to see with the ball who we trust to make the right decisions. Bane, Robinson, and even Fisher gave us that.

I also don't think he places enough emphasis on DATOs (dumb @$$ turnovers) and free throws. These are the obvious WTH turnovers that make you pull your hair out or make you gesture towards throwing something at your own TV. Two players, whose names are initials that contain the letter "J," are notorious for DATOs.

Whatbis most frustrating for me is we never know what we are going to get when a CJD team takes the floor. It's feast or famine. We have the talent to compete with (and should have beaten) a rabked Mizzou team on the road, sweep a ranked Okie Lite team, push OU and KU to the final minute, etc. That points to coaching. We have the talent to win more games, but get helter skelter play. At this point the team still doesn't seem to have a philosophy, are slow on cuts and defending cuts, and seems to wing most possessions outside the high pick and roll.

As for TCU having "0" basketball history, you obviously weren't here during the Tubbs (may he rest in peace) era. Run-DMC was one of the most hated places to play in the country. The place was always packed - because we were good. Had he been allowed to stay I think we would certainly have a higher basketball reputation than we do now.

^^^^^^^^^^
IMO, Trent did not get a fair shake. The cupboard was bare when he came and then we had the high school court situation. Our past record prior to Trent and our facilities not being ready had to really hold our recruiting back.......why would a GOOD HS recruit want to come into that type of situation? In my way of thinking, the proof is in the pudding, and Jamie has past his prime, maybe way past it.

Last edited:

TRF51

I like Dixon and think he tries hard but I don't understand how the majority of his teams start off better than they finish. Kevin should be a force down low but I think he was a better player when he was a Freshman and Sophomore than he is now. RJ has improved throughout his career but he is still a walking turnover and is kind of a ball hog. I think we lack talent and we don't run a system that covers it up. We play well at times but we go minutes without field goals all the time. I don't see us getting significantly better with the players on the roster, we need an elite player or two. If we were to pick the 5 best players on the court when we play the other teams, one, maybe two of them would be wearing a TCU jersey. It seems Dixon does not know how to build a team, we need a knock down shooter instead of another small forward who is average at everything and good at nothing.

netty2424

This team lacks balance, therefore this offense doesn’t work.

Samuel is effective with a true point guard who can get into the paint which breaks down a defense forcing inside help. Once the big peels off Samuel to help, it opens him up.

Love him or hate him, Alex Robinson was a perfect PG for Samuels game. Same with Kendrick Davis.

This team doesn’t have that. Farabello is not that type of player. As a result, this team has no inside presence. Samuel cannot create, and has no mid-range game. Foul him, and you know he’s missing at least one each time.

Defenders can cheat out on the guards which makes shooting open threes and mid range shots tougher to come by.

Ledee has been great as of late. The guy is busting his ass and playing really physical basketball.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Samuel just doesnt seem to have either the conditioning or the desire to be dominant. He isnt super coordinated.

I agree though. No reason not to be good. You can see shades of very good in this team.
I don't think Samuel wants to be that kind of player.

Always thought LeDee was better, more of a physical force, but still not where what we need to compete inside in this conference (or any power conference).

Farmfrog

If everyone comes back we have three guys that can play they are Mike, RJ and LaDee, can you believe it. LaDee has really come on and gives everything he has when he’s on the court. I like Samuel but I don’t think we will miss him all that m.

There are a few guys who really should look elsewhere. PJ is first and foremost because he’s a fish out of water in our system. Pearson is probably another who should look to make a move. I feel bad for Easley because he can play but doesn’t look like he has any confidence right now.

As for Jamie I think he’s just too stubborn to change his approach. A good portion of coaching is knowing your players and being able to put them into situations where they can excel and Jamie seems unable to do this. His scheme needs a PG which comes back to his inability to recruit one.

We have to hope the experience we’ve gained this year will lead us to be better next year. Without a point I’m afraid we’re going to see more of the same as we’ve seen this year.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
Arguably, the bulk of Dixon's success didn't come with his recruits. Kenrich, Vlad, Bane, Fisher, Shephard, and Miller were all recruuted under Trent IIRC.
That may be true, but Trent didn't win with those guys and Dixon did. He has to get some credit for that success.
On the other hand, TCU basketball hasn't been very good the last couple of years and Dixon has to take some of the blame.