• The KillerFrogs

Basketball Predictions

Skip Jansen

Skip what have you heard about the bottom of the roster? How have Barlow, Pearson and Todd been in practice? Think depth could be a big asset for this squad.

Depth is definitely the strength of this year's team.

As far as the 3 players you mentioned, Pearson has the highest ceiling. It's too bad that red-shirting has basically disappeared in college basketball. A lot of kids could use a year of strength training, maturing, and just learning how to play the game. It's amazing how little kids nowadays have learned coming out of H.S./AAU.

Skip Jansen

Skip, how do you see the league this year top to bottom?

Similar to last year in that there are no great teams but there are no bad teams either. A lot of good teams.

I haven't really seen any prognostications so I can't say who is underrated and overrated.

- I think Baylor has a chance to be really good (possibly win the league).

- KU will obviously be very good.

- Iowa St. might be better than most think.

- TTU is intriguing. Lost a lot but have some good pieces and have establish a culture.

- The remaining 6 could finish in any order and it wouldn't surprise me. The most interesting situation is in Austin. At what point does UT and Shaka realize that it wasn't a good fit.

Realtorfrog

Probably finish between 4-6. We will win a few we shouldn’t and lose a few we should win as well. Lots of talent...... needs to come together early.

Rose Bowl

I’m more worried about how we are going to play defense this year. Our best defender is probably Kevin but how we go about letting him be the influencer is what is not known. How we defend the three point line and stop dribble penetration will be key. What will our defensive rotations be and when will we switch.

Skip Jansen

Why would you say this is?

Wow. I could write a novel on the subject but I don't want to bore you. I will hit on a few key points.

- AAU Culture: Focus is on the individual not the team. Playing multiple games in one day takes the emphasis off of winning. Moving around from team to team allows kids to see themselves as hired guns.

- H.S Coaches: They've become insignificant. It's sad because there are some good ones but they no longer have the top player's ear. H.S. Coach can't do for the player's recruitment what the AAU coach can. Nor can he provide him with 'stuff' like the AAU coach can.

Pop-up Prep Schools: This is the biggest academic farce in the U.S.(and that's saying something). To call these places a 'school' is a joke. These bastions of academia are designed to get player's qualified. Have you noticed how there are almost no non-qualifiers anymore. I wonder why?

I could go on and on. I work with H.S. kids who are college recruits (some with Power 5 schools) and you wouldn't believe how ill prepared they are.

They don't even know the basic stuff. Point guards don't know how to read ball screens. Post players don't know how to 'slip' a ball screen. Its unreal.

Defense is even worse. One week I told them we were going to work on-

- Chasing a curl thru a staggered screen
- 'Ice' side ball screens
- Jump to the ball
- Calling out back screens

The looks on their faces told me all I needed to know. If they don't know the 'how' then they sure don't understand the 'why'.

If you ever hear that an incoming freshman is a great or a 'lockdown' defender, just laugh. You'll see Bigfoot first.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Similar to last year in that there are no great teams but there are no bad teams either. A lot of good teams.

I haven't really seen any prognostications so I can't say who is underrated and overrated.

- I think Baylor has a chance to be really good (possibly win the league).

- KU will obviously be very good.

- Iowa St. might be better than most think.

- TTU is intriguing. Lost a lot but have some good pieces and have establish a culture.

- The remaining 6 could finish in any order and it wouldn't surprise me. The most interesting situation is in Austin. At what point does UT and Shaka realize that it wasn't a good fit.
Personally I hope it’s a few more years before UT and Shaka Strong figure it out.

MTfrog5

i did hear a new name.

Szymon Zapala is a 6-11 C from Poland that they are checking in on next week.
I’m curious your thoughts on the huge international recruiting push the last couple years. Have these coaches always been involved in international recruits at their previous schools?

Skip Jansen

I’m curious your thoughts on the huge international recruiting push the last couple years. Have these coaches always been involved in international recruits at their previous schools?

Yes. Recruiting International kids is no different than U.S. players, from the standpoint of relationship building. Gotta have some connections to make the contacts.

Rose Bowl

Great breakdown on the game and where the it is right now. It’s crazy that kids don’t know how to “ice” screens or call back screens. We don’t use staggered screens so our opponents should be alright.

BTW do you know anything about the Polish big guy?