• The KillerFrogs

Baseball

PurpleBlood87

So you base one decent start with Parker on him being a starter, one questionable outing with River and he isn’t a closer, (even though he was a leader in saves a week ago). Brown is awful… You are making some leaps.

Brown doesn't seem to have the mental makeup for a weekend starter.
Maybe a midweek guy.

NewFrogFan

I don't(and haven't) paid much attention to TCU Baseball over the years, but I do know that this seems to happen every year, one bad series and everyone's hair is on fire.

Reminds me of when we beat KU in basketball last month and all the KU fans were in full meltdown mode about how the season is a waste, how they will lose early in the tourney, blah blah and tonight they are playing for the national title.
No, some of us have not and will not forget the Texas series at TCU last year, which looks just like this year except now the pitching is much worse too.

FrogBall09

So you base one decent start with Parker on him being a starter, one questionable outing with River and he isn’t a closer, (even though he was a leader in saves a week ago). Brown is awful… You are making some leaps.
At this point, I would say the Parker or Perez over Brown has less to do with whether Parker or Perez have shown success in past and more to do with Brown showing pretty consistently he is not a starter. It happens - Chuck King during his career proved he could not start but amazingly solid in any inning with came after the number 1. Cam has some really great stuff - command of 3 pitches, mid+ 90's fastball, close to 15 mph drop in off speed - he just has to figure out where he fits in the game to make the level of impact he deserves - but it doesn't seem to be a starter.

We had a guy on our staff that totally changed his approach to the hitters if we put him on the bump first - because he felt like "had to get to the 6th" vs when he came in for relief, regardless of the inning, he knew he was there to be as good as he could be for as long as he could - but there was less pressure to hit a specific target.

River was never meant to be our closer - we have 2 guys on our staff that are here because of their ability to be what everyone looks for in a closer. The issue is neither can consistently throw a strike. If you remember what it looked like when Riley Ferrell lost it during the post season - there is little room for variability in release point with you throw 98-100 and when it is off, it is totally off the rails - hit the mascot bad. So River brings a bigger diversity than most closers but also doesn't have overpowering stuff - and I always expected him to be the main setup guy if not a potential starter one day.

When you push guys to do things that they are not built for - sometimes they start a new role on the team and sometimes they struggle. We have a lot of struggling with some key portions of our staff right now.

But in the end, we have to be able to score 5+ runs more often and against better teams than we have been playing or we are in trouble.

TXTXFrog

I would tend to agree with this^. But I see Parker and Brown in the same spot right now. Parker has also had walks, hits and given up multiple runs in all but one appearance. That said, Meador got 2-3 start last year and struggled, didn’t see much more opportunity and is now killing it as a starter at DBU. I think they have to rethink what the initial preconceived ideas of roles were and make adjustments we also tend to leave our starter in another half to full inning after they are showing signs of getting in trouble and it doesn’t work out a lot of the time. Ultimately we have to hit. Sunday was a some bad luck. Hard hit balls, right to people.

FrogBall09

I would tend to agree with this^. But I see Parker and Brown in the same spot right now. Parker has also had walks, hits and given up multiple runs in all but one appearance. That said, Meador got 2-3 start last year and struggled, didn’t see much more opportunity and is now killing it as a starter at DBU. I think they have to rethink what the initial preconceived ideas of roles were and make adjustments we also tend to leave our starter in another half to full inning after they are showing signs of getting in trouble and it doesn’t work out a lot of the time. Ultimately we have to hit. Sunday was a some bad luck. Hard hit balls, right to people.
Meador and Perez have two things in common - they both struggled in the past at TCU when given a chance to start and they both had really good summers playing that role.

That is why I have hope that Perez might be ready just like Meador has shown DBU.

Also think we should try the idea that Pharm brought up in another thread - try the concept of an "opener" - send a guy out there and tell him just get us through 1. If he does great, then maybe you let him go 2 but he is not going 6. Then bring in Cam or someone else to handle 2 - 5, 6, etc.

Can't hurt to see if the mind shift makes a difference.

Spike

I don't(and haven't) paid much attention to TCU Baseball over the years, but I do know that this seems to happen every year, one bad series and everyone's hair is on fire.

Reminds me of when we beat KU in basketball last month and all the KU fans were in full meltdown mode about how the season is a waste, how they will lose early in the tourney, blah blah and tonight they are playing for the national title.

I don't get that worked up over midweek games, especially when weekend starter out and everyone else having to move up a notch. UTSA is pretty decent and playing them on a Wednesday was a bit of a risk, especially w Krob out. That said this weekend gives me pause. All 3 were winnable games but the men LOB issue raised it's ugly head again. We are going to find out in the next month exactly how good we are.

Pharm Frog

I don't get that worked up over midweek games, especially when weekend starter out and everyone else having to move up a notch. UTSA is pretty decent and playing them on a Wednesday was a bit of a risk, especially w Krob out. That said this weekend gives me pause. All 3 were winnable games but the men LOB issue raised it's ugly head again. We are going to find out in the next month exactly how good we are.
I expected to drop to UTSA before any of these things happened. Figured they would score runs off our staff even if we had Krob taking innings the weekend prior.

tetonfrog

Rough week. Hope they pick it up & turn it around. Some bad losses this week, but I want to see how we do against the Big Dogs in our league the next few weekends before waiving the white flag.