• The KillerFrogs

Baseball

grt

Frogs in a big time slump. Can't hit, can't pitch, and can't get nobody out. We should all hope this it's just a slump or we're very mediocre and overrated.

Last edited:

TCUWIN

What happened to the days we had a whole staff of pitchers? If we could score 1 or 2 runs, it was a good chance for a win. Now, got to get 6 or 7 runs for a chance to win.

Paint It Purple

Frogs in a big time slump. Can't hit, can't pitch, and can't get nobody out. We should all hope this is just a slump or we're very mediocre and overrated.
Forget which CWS year it was, but that team had a bad mid year rough patch. They regrouped and made a CWS. Not saying this team is that team, but slumps happen. I say this team will find a way to win again.

Pharm Frog

Forget which CWS year it was, but that team had a bad mid year rough patch. They regrouped and made a CWS. Not saying this team is that team, but slumps happen. I say this team will find a way to win again.
Baseball is weird. Tech beats KU 281 to 2 yesterday and gets beat by the hawks today. Odd thing about the Frogs is that I’d have been pretty happy with a 6-3 run through the first three series. Sure…they could turn it around and get hot (and probably will at some point) but this team is little changed from last year’s squad and maybe not even quite as good. If we do get to postseason this year, I think an advance to super-regionals would be over-achieving. But it happens all the time along with squads that under-achieve.

FrogUltimate

Baseball is weird. Tech beats KU 281 to 2 yesterday and gets beat by the hawks today. Odd thing about the Frogs is that I’d have been pretty happy with a 6-3 run through the first three series. Sure…they could turn it around and get hot (and probably will at some point) but this team is little changed from last year’s squad and maybe not even quite as good. If we do get to postseason this year, I think an advance to super-regionals would be over-achieving. But it happens all the time along with squads that under-achieve.
Basically traded Smith for good Cornelio (probably an upgrade) and Ray for Walker (probably an upgrade but trending wrong way), Green for Bolden (not so good), lost Sikes and replaces with Maxwell (huge loss) and got Bishop instead of Shepherd(?) at 1B.

PurpleBlood87

Basically traded Smith for good Cornelio (probably an upgrade) and Ray for Walker (probably an upgrade but trending wrong way), Green for Bolden (not so good), lost Sikes and replaces with Maxwell (huge loss) and got Bishop instead of Shepherd(?) at 1B.
Gene Wood played first. Shepherd got hurt and missed most of the season.

CountryFrog

I thought yesterday's game was just one of those bad luck baseball days where you can't get hits to fall and the other team is dropping in bloops and soft grounders. Taylor by himself had 4 lasers hit right at outfielders and ended up 0-4. There were a few others as well. Meanwhile WVU scores their first run without having a ball leave the infield and gets a 3-run two out rally started with a 190' pop fly double.

I don't know how good or bad this team is. Still lots of baseball left. But this weekend saw some strange things happen and I'm not sure it's a great indicator of much of anything.

MadFrog

Where are all of these highly rated recruiting classes? They sure are not on this team. We have too many kids who can't hit (many starters and all of the reserves) and too many kids who can't throw strikes.

Paint It Purple

I thought yesterday's game was just one of those bad luck baseball days where you can't get hits to fall and the other team is dropping in bloops and soft grounders. Taylor by himself had 4 lasers hit right at outfielders and ended up 0-4. There were a few others as well. Meanwhile WVU scores their first run without having a ball leave the infield and gets a 3-run two out rally started with a 190' pop fly double.

I don't know how good or bad this team is. Still lots of baseball left. But this weekend saw some strange things happen and I'm not sure it's a great indicator of much of anything.
Don't know which one of you guys handed Mazey the defensive positioning scouting report, but shame on you. Plus: WVU outfielders > TCU outfielders

FrogUltimate

Feel like we've been hitting a lot of mid-outfield line drives/pop outs for a few years now. Not enough power to get the ball towards the warning track on a line, but hitting with enough angle trajectory that it doesn't settle between infield and outfield. If the ball is landing at the some vertical depth the outfielders start at, going to need to place it in a super tight window or it's getting caught.

FrogUltimate

Good news from the weekend:
Cornelio still good
At the very least you use Perez as a "starter" in that he comes in after Brown/Parker immediately once they show any sign of issue. If I was coach, I'd consider starting Parker on Saturday with the plan to get 7 between Parker and Perez.
Savage pitching real well. Looks like a reliever that can give us 4 innings a weekend.
Bolden bounced back nicely in a big spot

Bad news:
Brown is awful
Walker is pretty bad
Ridings definitely isn't a closer
The lineup is looking more and more suspicious. Need to get Petrie back so that Byrne can hopefully get the swing back

Last edited:

TXTXFrog

Good news from the weekend:
Cornelio still good
At the very least you use Perez as a "starter" in that he comes in after Brown/Parker immediately once they show any sign of issue. If I was coach, I'd consider starting Parker on Saturday with the plan to get 7 between Parker and Perez.
Savage pitching real well. Looks like a reliever that can give us 4 innings a weekend.
Bolden bounced back nicely in a big spot

Bad news:
Brown is awful
Walker is pretty bad
Ridings definitely isn't a closer
The lineup is looking more and more suspicious. Need to get Petrie back so that Byrne can hopefully get the swing back
So you base one decent start with Parker on him being a starter, one questionable outing with River and he isn’t a closer, (even though he was a leader in saves a week ago). Brown is awful… You are making some leaps.

LVH

I don't(and haven't) paid much attention to TCU Baseball over the years, but I do know that this seems to happen every year, one bad series and everyone's hair is on fire.

Reminds me of when we beat KU in basketball last month and all the KU fans were in full meltdown mode about how the season is a waste, how they will lose early in the tourney, blah blah and tonight they are playing for the national title.

FrogUltimate

So you base one decent start with Parker on him being a starter, one questionable outing with River and he isn’t a closer, (even though he was a leader in saves a week ago). Brown is awful… You are making some leaps.

Oh I'm not saying Parker is better than Brown right now, I have more hope for Brown, but we need to take care of mid-week games. I'd prefer to see Brown there against lesser competition where hopefully he can right the ship and we can take care of business there. I'd expect 1-2 innings from Parker tops, and then move to Perez.

Ridings has been questionable all season. He's been able to escape trouble consistently, but look at the WHIP. It's been out of sync with his ERA all year.