• The KillerFrogs

Baseball v. OU Game 3 Thread

Purp

What we got from King and Williamson this weekend makes us a legitimate super regional caliber club that has a chance to be in Omaha it continues. It’s also probably fair to label that a fairly big “if”.
I'd agree except with King doing that from the rotation we have a hole in the bullpen that's fairly large. If we get the same performances from King and Williamson for the rest of the year and 1-2 more arms in the pen sort things out then I'd feel fairly confident in a SR with almost anybody and I'd really like our prospects in Omaha.

Also agree that these are very large "ifs" presently. I do feel like things are slowly coming together, though. Last year it came together a little too late, but this year it feels like they're catching on about 6 weeks earlier than last. Maybe that's soon enough to have a strong push for postseason positioning and a timely hot streak. Wouldn't be the first time that's taken us to Omaha.

/rectal sunshine and rainbows/

Moose Stuff

I'd agree except with King doing that from the rotation we have a hole in the bullpen that's fairly large. If we get the same performances from King and Williamson for the rest of the year and 1-2 more arms in the pen sort things out then I'd feel fairly confident in a SR with almost anybody and I'd really like our prospects in Omaha.

Also agree that these are very large "ifs" presently. I do feel like things are slowly coming together, though. Last year it came together a little too late, but this year it feels like they're catching on about 6 weeks earlier than last. Maybe that's soon enough to have a strong push for postseason positioning and a timely hot streak. Wouldn't be the first time that's taken us to Omaha.

/rectal sunshine and rainbows/

Eissler doing his normal thing out of the bullpen more than replaces King. Agree though, we need a couple guys to step up.

LeagueCityFrog

If there isn't some stepping up on the pitching side the remainder of this season, look for Schloss to gut the bullpen like he did last off season with our position players.

It's insane that TCU, a school known for awesome, consistent pitching year in and year out, has to sweat a game in the 9th inning that we are up by four runs to start the inning.

Eight

I would like some of the freshman to step up - otherwise next year will be kind of scary also on the mound - so it would help both now and in the future.

i didn't see the games so i may be way off base here but barr and arrighetti have flashed some potential in the last month.

long way to go but there has been a bit of progress

you hopefully get sloan and smith back as well as the lsu transfer kodros

anyone had any thoughts on asher cook and dion henderson? hurt? a long way from being able to contribute? being saved for the regional drive?

Moose Stuff

I would like some of the freshman to step up - otherwise next year will be kind of scary also on the mound - so it would help both now and in the future.

I would go ahead and prepare yourself for next year being kinda scary on the mound. Lodolo is gone, Williamson is more likely to leave than return, and the top 2 pitching recruits both might go in the top 50 picks.

Purp

Eissler doing his normal thing out of the bullpen more than replaces King. Agree though, we need a couple guys to step up.
Normal Eissler out of the pen is better than King, but only Eissler and Perez in the pen may not be enough to get through a regional and SR unless we get a couple CGs. That's what I was trying to say.

Purp

Green should be able to contribute a little.
He and Augie have shown flashes, but have been quite inconsistent. If we can get him going that would be enormous. And if Augie and find consistency and Cal can get over the Ankiel issues look out. That's not too much to ask is it?

PO Frog

I would go ahead and prepare yourself for next year being kinda scary on the mound. Lodolo is gone, Williamson is more likely to leave than return, and the top 2 pitching recruits both might go in the top 50 picks.
Is there any thought given to recruiting less high profile guys? I know P Mo was a diamond in the rough but I wonder if it makes more sense to go after guys that are still great pitchers but not necessarily great MLB prospects. Thoughts?

ftwfrog

Is there any thought given to recruiting less high profile guys? I know P Mo was a diamond in the rough but I wonder if it makes more sense to go after guys that are still great pitchers but not necessarily great MLB prospects. Thoughts?
So, like, recruit worse players?

I’m kidding, I get your point.

flyfishingfrog

I would say just as successful but don’t project as well to MLB. So maybe not the 6’5” flame thrower but rather the 5’11” guy who thinks he is Greg Maddox.
I have said this in the past but was told I was an idiot

I realize we have gotten a couple guys like Purke and Lodolo on campus - but I always thought those are guys you assume aren’t coming and make room if you get lucky

Not assume they are coming and then don’t recruit tier 2 guys that are much more likely to show up in their place

Seems like the wishful thinking approach will lead to a lot more years like this one where we end up with a lot of JUCO guys because we missed on the top recruits and didn’t have a plan B

Moose Stuff

You gotta sign the best players possible. But you also have to be prepared for the distinct possibility that they’re never gonna show up. If that means over signing so that you’ve already got their plan B’s in place then so be it.

A guy like Jacob Meador is a great example of a kid that you sign and feel real good about keeping because he’s under 6 feet tall and doesn’t throw 95.