• The KillerFrogs

Baseball @ Tech - Game 1

MTfrog5

Hump had no idea where the runner was bc the throw was on the dugout side of the lefty batters box. He's just trying to get the tag down as quickly as possible and swiped past the plate a tick before the runner got there. How is he supposed to know if the throw takes his eyes away from the runner?
Old school catcher would have dove straight to runner face not allowing him to reach the plate regardless if he know where the runner was. Catcher has to be more aggressive there and control the initial swipe tag a lot better.

Purp

Old school catcher would have dove straight to runner face not allowing him to reach the plate regardless if he know where the runner was. Catcher has to be more aggressive there and control the initial swipe tag a lot better.
Not with modern rules about blocking the plate/base. Also, I reiterate the point of having no view of the runner. He can't lunge up the line to get the runner if he thinks he's already near the plate. He's got to sweep that tag down without seeing the runner. Only thing an old school catcher would have done is sit on the plate while sweeping the tag. Had Hump done that they call the runner safe for blocking the plate.

MTfrog5

Not with modern rules about blocking the plate/base. Also, I reiterate the point of having no view of the runner. He can't lunge up the line to get the runner if he thinks he's already near the plate. He's got to sweep that tag down without seeing the runner. Only thing an old school catcher would have done is sit on the plate while sweeping the tag. Had Hump done that they call the runner safe for blocking the plate.
It’s my understanding that when the catcher had the ball he can block the plate. Is that not correct anymore?