• The KillerFrogs

B1G and SEC begin the process of ditching the NCAA

dawg

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

Limey Frog

Obviously the current model is unsustainable, and equally obviously the SEC and Big Ten would be wasting their time talking to anyone else about what football needs to do. They should just decide how to govern big-time college football, announce the plan, then create a new subdivision for the programs who can afford to operate on that model. I still don't see them cutting the Big 12 and ACC out entirely, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it goes in the end.

Wexahu

Obviously the current model is unsustainable, and equally obviously the SEC and Big Ten would be wasting their time talking to anyone else about what football needs to do. They should just decide how to govern big-time college football, announce the plan, then create a new subdivision for the programs who can afford to operate on that model. I still don't see them cutting the Big 12 and ACC out entirely, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it goes in the end.
And my reaction to all of this is......who cares. I've moved on, at least from the standpoint of giving a crap who is good, who isn't, etc. It's just a money-whipping contest now. Gigantic yawn.

It was a pretty good run, I enjoyed it for the last 40 years and really enjoyed for about 15-20 of those.

HFrog1999

And my reaction to all of this is......who cares. I've moved on, at least from the standpoint of giving a crap who is good, who isn't, etc. It's just a money-whipping contest now. Gigantic yawn.

It was a pretty good run, I enjoyed it for the last 40 years and really enjoyed for about 15-20 of those.

Yeah. I had to give up my tickets a couple of years ago and I found that I actually enjoy being a casual fan.

That run from 1998 through 2014 was really fun. Back in the early 2000's TCU was great about letting us lower tier fans be part of the program.

d3ccdb12-fc4e-4c0e-bb9b-52f85c4287b8_text.gif

froginmn

Would be completely idiotic to limit it to those two conferences. Fans of schools in B12 and ACC would immediately tune out, and fans of B1G and SEC schools with no real chance (about 80%) would become casual fans.

Watching the "little guy" has always been part of the fun, whether it be March Madness, Boise-OU, Wisc-TCU, etc.

If it becomes a ten team, uh, circle, there will be very little intrigue.

Wexahu

Would be completely idiotic to limit it to those two conferences. Fans of schools in B12 and ACC would immediately tune out, and fans of B1G and SEC schools with no real chance (about 80%) would become casual fans.

Watching the "little guy" has always been part of the fun, whether it be March Madness, Boise-OU, Wisc-TCU, etc.

The little guy used to have a puncher's chance if they recruited wisely, developed kids, and were able to field real experienced teams from time to time. That puncher's chance is gone with annual free agency. That's by far the biggest reason I no longer find the sport at all compelling and don't care anymore.

Bizarro Frog

Out of my hands so I will try not to dwell on it. Hopefully they are smart enough to realize marginalizing the rest of the country and schools would be bad for business. College Football is not the NFL and fans and alumni from the bigger schools left behind for the most part will turn away.

Hopefully the BIG12 is included or we get an invite when they expand into their final form. Would be crazy to leave all the alumni money from schools like TCU and Tech behind. There is also not enough room at just those 2 conferences for all of the kids that play D1. It would suck to kill off their scholarship opportunities (yes some kids just want an opportunity to go to college that will never go pro and they know it).

EVOfrogMR

I doubt they’ll leave everyone else out. I do think they’ll structure everything in a way that most benefits them and what they want. Then they can invite anyone to else on a take it or leave it basis with no say.

Planks

Something to remember is that an eyeball is an eyeball, whether it belongs to a hardcore college football fan or to a casual fan.

Right now the conferences and networks seem to be betting that the loss of interest from hardcore college football fans will be outweighed by increased interest from casual fans. The assumption is that for every Oregon State fan that is now tuning out since their schools was left out, there will be three previously NFL-only football fans who will now start watching college football as well because they see more big name conference match ups like Ohio State vs USC or Alabama vs Oklahoma.

Only time will tell.

Limey Frog

Exactly. Those guys still need the other conferences, they just don't need to pretend to care what those conferences want the rules to look like.

Chico Dusty

It will become a 40 team league. The SEC and Big are 34 currently. They’ll add 6 teams from ACC. The rest left out. I think it’s coming sooner than later. End of an era. Bummer.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Something to remember is that an eyeball is an eyeball, whether it belongs to a hardcore college football fan or to a casual fan.

Right now the conferences and networks seem to be betting that the loss of interest from hardcore college football fans will be outweighed by increased interest from casual fans. The assumption is that for every Oregon State fan that is now tuning out since their schools was left out, there will be three previously NFL-only football fans who will now start watching college football as well because they see more big name conference match ups like Ohio State vs USC or Alabama vs Oklahoma.

Only time will tell.
It worked for the NFL.

They played jiggery-pokery with the rules, so now you can't play defense, and zillions of points get scored. Last second comebacks are commonplace. It's a more "exciting" game. I quit watching, but others evidently tuned in.

Now the NFL is in bed with the "Gaming" people, and stands to make bank like never before. Don't think all that money isn't attractive to the B1G and SEC. TV only pays so much, but you can fleece gamblers and help with money laundering and make tons more...