• The KillerFrogs

B-17 Fort Worth Nose Art

Froglaw

Hence the humor in the early scene in 1941: Two Japanese sailors are trying to cram a large radio into their submarine, but the hatch is just too narrow to fit the big wooden radio frame. One sailor says, "We have to find a way to make these things smaller!"

The Movie 1941.

Underrated greatness.

Slim Pickens second greatest role behind riding the A-bomb into Moscoe.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

yurintroubl

Some of you all know that I dabble with the photoshops. On occasion I have done digital restorations (pro bono) for folks who have irreplaceable "family pics" damaged by sun, flood, fire... one time even a mudslide. One of the ones I am most proud of was a guy who was trying to find somebody to help him with a picture of his great uncle. It was coming up on Uncle David's 95th birthday... and he was hoping to find someone who could help him "un-damage" the only pic he had of his relative from when he was a pilot in WWII.
tPpjVQ.jpg

I did a normal clean-up to remove the tears and creases. Then I decided to try something a little different....
warbondspilot1large.jpg

Turns out this was the exact type of plane he used to fly.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Some of you all know that I dabble with the photoshops. On occasion I have done digital restorations (pro bono) for folks who have irreplaceable "family pics" damaged by sun, flood, fire... one time even a mudslide. One of the ones I am most proud of was a guy who was trying to find somebody to help him with a picture of his great uncle. It was coming up on Uncle David's 95th birthday... and he was hoping to find someone who could help him "un-damage" the only pic he had of his relative from when he was a pilot in WWII.
tPpjVQ.jpg

I did a normal clean-up to remove the tears and creases. Then I decided to try something a little different....
warbondspilot1large.jpg

Turns out this was the exact type of plane he used to fly.
That's magnificent!

Froglaw

Dad was 17 when he joined the Navy to fight Imperial Japan and the European Facists Regimes.

By 1943 and 1944, the war in the Pacific was against Japan and so off he went with the SeaBees to fight, build, and pave the way for bombing the island of Japan.

I can’t imagine me doing much at 17 outside of high school, working at McDonalds, taking my girlfriend out in my Ford Fairlane (no AC), and messing around with my buddies.

Dad and his high school friends went out, along with our Allie’s, and kicked the ever loving stuffing out of Japan, the Hun, and the Italian war machines.

VE Day and VJ Day meant something to those guys, our Dads.

As Dan Jenkins (RIP) wrote, “we dropped the big stereo on Japan and got back to college football and golf”.

God Bless them all.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If memory serves, there were some old photos of the B-24 factory at Angelo's, and probably a few at Paris Coffee Shop.

B-24s were built at the bomber plant in White Settlement, among other places. Later, Consolidated combined with Vultee Aircraft to make Convair.
You mean what is now lockheed right? I think that was and maybe still is the longest .procuctjon line. Over a mile ong IIRC. Maybe also longest in terms of continuous use? .Got a tour once back in the f-16 days when i was picking up a jet. Hunks of metal come in one end, airplanes come out the other.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
You mean what is now lockheed right? I think that was and maybe still is the longest .procuctjon line. Over a mile ong IIRC. Maybe also longest in terms of continuous use? .Got a tour once back in the f-16 days when i was picking up a jet. Hunks of metal come in one end, airplanes come out the other.
Yep. They started with the B-24s, then in order built B-32s, B-36s, B-58s, F-111s, and F-16s. Now they are turning our F-35s.