• The KillerFrogs

Attendance

HeidelFrog

In 2014 Mac published an article about the TCU attendance problem. The article featured a picture of many empty seats in the upper level. If you look to the right side of the picture you will see the field, the band is on it.. It was taken at halftime. Stirring the pot...

berryfrog95

UT had 88k for Maryland, 88k for San Jose & 90k for KState. 10k+ empty seats each game....

Night game would've helped us too like it did for UT.....but it doesnt really matter, we know who we are.

Yesterday I felt was a good crowd despite the heat and time

OmniscienceFrog

Once this game was announced for a 2:30 start, the ticket sales came to a halt. That and 2000 extra tickets being released by WV. The results were as expected. Still a good crowd that was loud and supportive.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but adding shade to the east side when they add the new club suite section would cure a lot of our problems. The Dolphins were having the same problem, and they added shade to the entire stadium. It can be done.
Yeah, we can change the team name to FC TCU.

Last edited:

4 Oaks Frog

This is not intended to start a internal war among us TCU fans, BUT, I overheard a couple of Mountaineer fans as I was exiting and walking to my car after the game yesterday. They were very complimentary of the game, TCU, the campus, and the stadium. The one overriding question they kept talking among themselves was why was the stadium not full?How could that not happen giving it was such a big game?
What will it take for us to finally get a full house amongst football fans here in Fort Worth and in the Metroplex?

Get the student population up to about 28,000 and alumni ratio up the same. Move the campus to some backwater where we are the only game in town. Of course, then it won't be the same old TCU. I think we do pretty well with what we have for the size that we are. I like it.
Spit Blood~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!!

OmniscienceFrog

1). Posting a pic of the visitors section, for the conference game against the geographical outlier, is ridiculously stupid.

2). Attendance looked fine on television. The only exception was coming back from the half it looked a little empty, but filed up nicely for the crowd shots by mid third.

3). I'd rather watch the frogs win in front of 25,000 people than see them lose in front of 75,000. This isn't the MWC years. While our attendance has been fine, it is entirely 100% irrelevant.
The MWC years! LOL

hindry

I think you hit on something there. While there are other, well documented, issues at play here that leads to the perception of an TCU attendance problem (smallish liberal arts college, predominantly female student body from outside the football hotbed of Texas, smarter-than-the-average-bear student body that isn't particularly into sports, the heat, etc), the attractiveness of the opponent is a major player in all this and attractiveness can't just be measured by poll rankings.

What if we were playing San Diego State yesterday instead of West Virginia? San Diego State is ranked higher than West Virginia but does anyone believe for a second that more fans would have come to see them? The answer is no because there really isn't that much interest for a TCU fan to see either West Virginia or San Diego State! When the opponent is someone that TCU fans "care about", for whatever reason, the crowds do show up (see the old TCU/Utah and TCU/ BYU MWC matchups).
i was talking to palo alto family who had dropped off buffy at froggy high Everyone happy till i let it slip there is a 60/40 ratio of women to men. Being Catholic and prone to heterosexuality and large families, they left somewhat morose.

calisuperfrog

Agree 100%. TCU needs to build a canopy on the east side ASAP. The sun is brutal for children and elders
True enough. Is there a stadium in the South (where all games outside are hot) that has some retractable screen that could provide shade? I stay through the game, but for kids, it's brutal. Just wondering if it has been solved somewhere.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
The famous Flavian Coliseum in Rome completed in AD 80 had 240 poles, like ship's masts, extending from the rim towards the center and had many a sailcloth awning (valerium) that could be extended and retracted by sailors as needed. Awnings helped create an updraft as well.

Big Frog II

True enough. Is there a stadium in the South (where all games outside are hot) that has some retractable screen that could provide shade? I stay through the game, but for kids, it's brutal. Just wondering if it has been solved somewhere.
Check out the redo of Miami's stadium. Arizona State was also going to add shade to their stadium redo, but ran out of funds. They probably will add shade later down the road. Baylor had an idea of the TV contract before they built their stadium hence the awnings. Very few stadiums currently have shade because most every school would play night games in September and early October because of the heat. Even the Rangers are adding in their new stadium a roof because they have the same problem. It's too hot for day games in June, July, August, September, and the first half of October. You will see more and more of the stadiums adding shade of some kind as we go forward, because the TV people don't care how hot it is. It is a problem, and when can address it when we add the suites on the east side.