• The KillerFrogs

Are We Underestimating the Big East's Pull

Endless Purple

That is the point I was trying to make. There are allot of high school hoos stars in every state that watch the Big East and dream someday of playing in the Big East and TCU is the only place in TX the kid can stay close to home and play in the best hoops conference in the world!
It will be exciting to see if the TCU staff can recruit with this edge.

2themax

I don't see using the BE card when recruiting top tx bb players hurting in any way. All of the Big 12 fb teams have used their conference pitch for years and it's work great for them. I believe TCU will have a tremendous advantage eventually. Locale and conference will be a huge draw for any kid wanting a bigger challenge than Big 12 or SEC bb. If this materializes, a bigger house will definitely be in order, cause the crowds will swell for bb games with high quality and great talent(not to mention big-name coaches).

2themax

Gotta believe we have a chance at some of these tx kids after the early exits for both Big 12 teams from tx. Just gotta get the coaching/recruiting situation rectified.

SnoopFrogs11

We need to make DMC look like those big time college basketball stadiums. The quote from Field of Dreams goes like this, "If you build it they will come."

HG73

We need two really good players to compete in the Big East. Two. No more, the Miami Heat have three and they are struggling. It has nothing to do with the arena. Two stud local players=competitive in the Big East=packed and rocking DMC. Not the other way around. Surely there are two really good local players who want to play in the best college basketball league and stay close to home so their parents and girlfriend can see them play.

Texas Otto

It will be exciting to see if the TCU staff can recruit with this edge.

I don't see any evidence that they are right now though. Okay so I am fairly bored at work this afternoon while I wait for other people to get me some items and I go on the rivals SU site (public area) to see how many kids the Orange have offered for hoops this year (only two top 20 kids as we only have one senior graduating), so then I expand to look at kids on SU's list that they have not offered and where they are from and I find there are tow guards a shooting guard from Houston Josh Gray and a point guard from Freeport, DJ Griggs not nationally ranked but good enough to be on the Orange's contact list and low and behold neither kid has an offer from TCU! The kids have offers from places like OSU and SE LA and A&M but no TCU now why wouldn't Coach Christian be saying hey kid SU and the rest of the BE didn't offer you well how would you like to play in the BE and continue to live right here in TX?
:wacko:

2themax

Looks as though our conf-to-be is adding a bit of credibility. At least we have a few guys visiting,right? Pretty good showing for 1st baby steps in recruiting considering we haven't had a good season lately.

2themax

Kinda odd that we're seeing more recruitng progress in the NE than we are in Tx. Has to be CJC old stomping grounds. What gives? Seems a little awkward though...oh well whatever works is cool with me. Looks as though he's targeting BE type players. Anyone know how Mittie's doing in recruiting?

2themax

To say I'm disappointed in TCU's bb recruiting efforts would be a drastic understatement. Didn't expect to see any miracles, but there is not even a hint of progress being made. Can't say I understand what is going on. Is the coaching staff really that bad at recruiting? Cause if so, this could get really bad. CJC is about to crash and burn.

TexanMark

Dude, the Big East lost 10 games in the NCAA tournament...talk about sucking... :ph34r:

Losing 10 games was lots better than losing 11 games :eek:hmy:

The Big East overall had a poor performance to the Sweet 16 due to several factors (BE teams facing each other in Round of 32, losing to the best of the underseeded midmajors (VCU, Butler and George Mason), one real bad upset (UL), several poorly officiated games)...but our league's depth was shown when the 9th place team won the national title.

Baylor's fb woes are rumored to be the result of a lack of support from it's school admn & alumni. Don't think TCU will EVER have that problem.
Not exactly true. Their admin and donors want football to be successful and support it about as much as any program with that record over the last 15 years could expect. Their problem has been a series of bad coaching hires.

The same people (in the administration and within the donors) who have managed to make their men's & women's basketball programs successful are also supporting football. It's almost a mirror image of our situation in men's basketball, where we have had a succession of bad decisions on coaches. I can promise you that everyone in our administration is committed to basketball being successful. Commitment (desire) isn't the only ingredient to make that happen.

It mostly comes down to coaches and making the right hire, especially for schools like Baylor or TCU. Imagine where we would be today if we would have passed over Patterson in favor of someone else available at the time who had actual interest in coaching here. We simply made the best coaching hire, and everything has snowballed from there.

2themax

Not exactly true. Their admin and donors want football to be successful and support it about as much as any program with that record over the last 15 years could expect. Their problem has been a series of bad coaching hires.

The same people (in the administration and within the donors) who have managed to make their men's & women's basketball programs successful are also supporting football. It's almost a mirror image of our situation in men's basketball, where we have had a succession of bad decisions on coaches. I can promise you that everyone in our administration is committed to basketball being successful. Commitment (desire) isn't the only ingredient to make that happen.

It mostly comes down to coaches and making the right hire, especially for schools like Baylor or TCU. Imagine where we would be today if we would have passed over Patterson in favor of someone else available at the time who had actual interest in coaching here. We simply made the best coaching hire, and everything has snowballed from there.

Those were not my own thoughts. Have a few friends who were big-name SWC fb players who are now college asst coaches. They either know or in some way were afilliated with some of the past Baylor fb coaching canidates. They all mentioned Baylor's balking at having a growing commitment to prospective coaches if they were able to turn the fb program around. In other words they weren't interested in eventually moving the stadium on campus and refused to pay the going rate for suitable asst coaches. Things could be different now, but about 5 yrs ago, that is what was being said by those in the know.

WVUFan

Next year I think TCU would begin to see a slight difference. Yes the BE pull will help, but the main thing is your HC needs to know how to recruit. The best the a BE affiliation could do for TCU MBB would be to drive home a good basketball coach.

2themax

Have to think that this BE thing is going to work out really well for the bb team in recruiting. Or do you all think Rhoomes was just a lucky hit. What exactly does CJC have to do to get the TX kids' attention? That is my biggest concern. He has to recruit Tx well for this to work, or can he continue going out of state with some success? Hard to see what direction this will take. Heard they were planning to do something with DMC in about 2 yrs when they finish the stadium. Anyone else hear anything more definitive?

2themax

So much for firing the coach and building a new bb arena to rev up the recruiting. Looking forward to seeing the 2012 class results heading into the BE. The metro and Tx has tons of talent and TCU should be getting its share. UT will have another recruiting battle on their hands. And Baylor too.

An-Cap Frog

Depaul really does not care about basketball to much. They wanted to be in the BE so they could be more affiliated with ND. They just committed to a new coach this year and the BB team is a lot better. Why they are not that good is they don't really care for to be good.

Plus, DePaul plays at Allstate out by O'Hare...no where near campus...despite this and the talent in the Chicago area that is poached by the Big Ten their 2010 recruiting class looks good. There is no reason that TCU with an on-campus facility, new campus buildings, thriving football and baseball programs, proximity to DFW airport, downtown FW, etc. should not be able to attract top flight talent. TCU has to be high on the list of programs that have potential to become a good basketball stop...