• The KillerFrogs

Any new basketball offers

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
I don't see the need to rush an offer a player simply because you want to point to the fact you signed a local kid.

Johnson hasn't even had time to evaluate the talent on his roster let alone the quality of the high school kids in the Metroplex. The level of competition is going to jump up dramatically next year and I would much rather they take their lumps next year while getting a good feeling on what they have and where they need to go then moving ahead without a real plan just to fill a roster.

I am sure while he was at LSU CTJ spent plenty of time evaluating area recruits. He has to back up a few years probably since he was working on 2013 & 2014 already instead of 2012 but really the options are limited so the pool to evaluate from is much smaller.

G

Ghost of UPub

If I am not mistaken Johnson never signed a Texas kid while at LSU (got a commit from Cody Glen from the Houston area but don't think he signed) and all but one player I believe was from Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

Talking to friends in the high school basketball world in Houston he did very little to try to make any inroads into Houston despite all the people displaced by Katrina and if he didn't make that effort for a city a few hundred miles west I would imagine he wasn't making much of an effort in the Metroplex where LSU doesn't have near the established presence of fans and alums.

Again, why rush if you aren't sure the kid can be more than a body to fill the roster and I would ask if the kid did get the AAU exposure you mention (which I am not doubting) is the kid looking for a bigger school than he is being offered? A friend of our son has only gotten offers from SFA, Sam, Lamar, and such but he isn't going to any of those schools academically. SImilar size and has started for three years on a 5-A squad in a very, very competitvie district in NW Houston.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
If I am not mistaken Johnson never signed a Texas kid while at LSU (got a commit from Cody Glen from the Houston area but don't think he signed) and all but one player I believe was from Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

Talking to friends in the high school basketball world in Houston he did very little to try to make any inroads into Houston despite all the people displaced by Katrina and if he didn't make that effort for a city a few hundred miles west I would imagine he wasn't making much of an effort in the Metroplex where LSU doesn't have near the established presence of fans and alums.

Again, why rush if you aren't sure the kid can be more than a body to fill the roster and I would ask if the kid did get the AAU exposure you mention (which I am not doubting) is the kid looking for a bigger school than he is being offered? A friend of our son has only gotten offers from SFA, Sam, Lamar, and such but he isn't going to any of those schools academically. SImilar size and has started for three years on a 5-A squad in a very, very competitvie district in NW Houston.

No rush but remember he is still trying to complete 2012, this August's roster, while evaluating kids for 2012.

Don't think what you are being told about his recruiting is correct at all as he spent plenty of time in both the Houston and DFW areas while at LSU. LSU was always present at the holiday tournaments.

G

Ghost of UPub

I understand he has to put a team on the floor in 2012, but TCU has plenty of wing players at this time.

Not to knock the kid, but dropping 47 on Greenhill is not exactly the same as dropping it on Crowley or FM Marcus. There has to be a reason he is not yet committed and it might be because the offers he has gotten don't match-up with where he played.

As I said before, friend of my son who is same size, projects to a SF-SG, averaged over 15 a game - 5 rebs, - 3 assists in a very tough 5 A district in Houston, 80%+ from the line - 50%+ from the field - 40%+ from three, played for Texas pro, two time first team all-district, was in the top 40 prospects in Houston, and he signed with Missouri State.

As far as Johnson while at LSU there is a big difference in going to the tournaments and being a presence in recruiting. Guy was there, but never made recruiting inroads in a city that has a strong LSU presence. Reminds me of sales reps I know who would show-up regularly at the offices of prospective sales partners, bought a ton of lunches, held more seminars than I could count, and never could crack the doorway to getting people to write business with them. Four years in LSU with no problems from Houston and none from Texas, but multiple from Mississippi says a great deal.