• The KillerFrogs

Anderson to be OL coach.

HG73

Can we please stop this continuous bitching about the assistant coaches? Please? They work for GMFP. Most for many years. If he didn't want them here they would be gone. They are professional P5 coaches. All they do is grade film 24/7, coach and recruit. Not exactly rocket science. If you want to hire and fire assistant coaches then get yourself a head coaching job. Or better yet make an appointment with GMFP and tell him yourself.

Eight

He isn't their OL coach. Thompsen is deputy of the offensive kingdom or something close to that. He knows how to get OL talent and does know a few things on coaching and has a good rep. The other guy is a dynamic OC and OL coach who is going to be the offensive line coach for FSU. Homerun hires for what they are going to do.

so thomsen is bascially norvell's version of anderson or luper?

i think he is a good hire, but a home run? the situation seems a bit odd and in some ways reinforces the idea that thomsen wasn't a great offensive line coach.

seriously, he has been an offensive line coach at texas tech, tcu, arizonia state, and central arkansas and norvell wants him on the staff, but hired someone else to coach offensive line

Frog-in-law1995

He isn't their OL coach. Thompsen is deputy of the offensive kingdom or something close to that. He knows how to get OL talent and does know a few things on coaching and has a good rep. The other guy is a dynamic OC and OL coach who is going to be the offensive line coach for FSU. Homerun hires for what they are going to do.

Thompsen is a home run deputy head coach hire because “he knows a few things on coaching and has a good rep?” Sounds like an inside receivers/OL coach I know.

Lemme get this straight. GP’s support of Anderson is the “buddy system,” but Norvell’s hiring of his friend for a made up job title with no discernible actual coaching responsibilities is proof he’s a homerun hire?
I didn't say he was a home run hire, indicate any agreement with the poster who said so, or make any other characterization of the hire. The "except for" even indicated that I was agreeing with the premise of your post minus the differentiation that another P5 coach sought him out and hired him.

frog-hat

Lemme get this straight. GP’s support of Anderson is the “buddy system,” but Norvell’s hiring of his friend for a made up job title with no discernible actual coaching responsibilities is proof he’s a homerun hire?
not arguing the home run hire or not, but norvell knows he'll get fired if he has 3 sub .500 conference years in a row. gp, not so much.
norvell can't afford to hire or keep around underperforming buddies.

The Degenerate Frog

Does Anderson has video evidence of GP scheissing Chancellor Boshini’s wife or daughter?

Thats the only conclusion I can come to... On the other hand, I‘ve taken a few too many RPG blasts, and my cognitive horsepower is trending downward... so maybe I am missing something.

Dogfrog

Does Anderson has video evidence of GP scheissing Chancellor Boshini’s wife or daughter?

Thats the only conclusion I can come to... On the other hand, I‘ve taken a few too many RPG blasts, and my cognitive horsepower is trending downward... so maybe I am missing something.

Well, uhh...thanks for your service!

Dogfrog

So we’re hiring a new OC after Coach P decided that new OC’s OL coach will be a retread who lasted a couple of years at that position. Got it.

To be fair his first year as OL coach 2014 was probably our best offense in history. The season before, 2013, was possibly our worst offense in GP era. Now I have read here that it was his predecessor who coached the terrible 2013 line who was responsible for the turnaround, even though he left three months before the 2014 season. Others will pull out the story that it was the great GA who coached them in 2014, but I believe the GA is now out of coaching? JA’s 2nd season as OL coach we went 11-2. But you will learn here that he has been a disaster at every position he has coached. After his third season, after we went 6-7, he was moved back to coach IR/TE when Burns stepped aside and Thomsen came on board.
I am not qualified to assess which coach gets credit for what but neither is anybody else on this board. JA was a GA on our Sun Bowl team, then coached receivers several years, then in 2009 was moved to RB coach / co-OC with Justin Fuente, including the Rose Bowl team! Of course all credit to Fuente. The guy has been a central figure in the best 20 year period in TCU football history and doesn’t deserve this unfair BS.

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

@Dogfrog —The larger point I was trying to make is: why name an OL coach before you find the OC who has to work with him? (But, yeah, Anderson appears to be a Jack of all trades, master of none.)
I’m skeptical we’re hiring an OC. I believe CoachP will look for an analyst who can help Cumbie, ala Dykes.

texas_sicilian

@Dogfrog —The larger point I was trying to make is: why name an OL coach before you find the OC who has to work with him? (But, yeah, Anderson appears to be a Jack of all trades, master of none.)
I’m skeptical we’re hiring an OC. I believe CoachP will look for an analyst who can help Cumbie, ala Dykes.
Which is another temp fix. Need a long term decision/direction here.