• The KillerFrogs

ACS Pictures - Saturday 7-30

Nick Danger

Your pictures emphasize another pretty unique aspect of ACS that I really like. It's how all the special club seating areas and suites are actually integrated and melded into the stadium itself. I've noticed that just about all the new stadium additions now-a-days consist of a basic oval seating bowl, with what essentially looks like a 4-5 story office building, with it's giant sheet of reflective glass, stuck on the outside of the stadium, almost as an afterthought. Tech's stadium is a perfect example of this approach (which I hate!).

KingmanIII

Your pictures emphasize another pretty unique aspect of ACS that I really like. It's how all the special club seating areas and suites are actually integrated and melded into the stadium itself. I've noticed that just about all the new stadium additions now-a-days consist of a basic oval seating bowl, with what essentially looks like a 4-5 story office building, with it's giant sheet of reflective glass, stuck on the outside of the stadium, almost as an afterthought. Tech's stadium is a perfect example of this approach (which I hate!).
I'm confident that many of the schools that elect to build these "luxury towers" atop the existing seating bowl and renovate the stadium's innards found it less expensive to do so instead of tearing down an entire stand and rebuilding from the ground-up. TCU's predicament with ACS was rather different; not only was the infrastructure deteriorating, the fashion in which the old upper deck was built atop the lower bowl would've made gutting and refurbishing the stand with modern amenities and premium seating much more difficult and costly than demolishing it and starting anew.

I went to University of North Texas's open house for the new Mean Green Stadium Saturday afternoon and there's had the office building look, They're club seating consisted of only 5 rows between the 20s. What would be our club level is how ours was before...which I kind of like because I'd still have my 45 yard line seats in D31 without paying the seat license. It was still kind of small-time and had the feel of a high school stadium on steroids but it was nice considering what they had before and how much it cost. The concourse was huge and the bathrooms were plenty big. The only real unstable part is the stupid eagle's tail endzone section. They only have a tunnel at the bottom and the section is probably over 50 rows high. If you're sitting at the top it's going to be the worst hike ever. They really screwed up the parking situation but then again, after the first few games they'll go back to having 10-12k so it won't be a problem. My phone was almost out of juice so I couldn't snap any pics.