• The KillerFrogs

ACC officially votes to add Cal, Stanford, SMU

LVH

I do hope TCU renews the series with SMU now, though. This seven/eight home games stuff is garbage when you're talking about swapping crosstown road games at an ancient rival for home dates with exciting opponents like SE Louisiana State or whathaveyou. Sure, SMU is annoying, desperate and basically slutty. But that's what rivals are for, no annoy you.
I'm already seeing SMU fan takes that SMU should have no interest in renewing the series because SMU is now in a better conference and therefore superior.

Ron Swanson

I'm not mad, I just think its funny that the ACC thinks that these 3 schools will move the needle in any way. It just shows how out of touch they are.

It's the equivalent of a kid whose daddy is rich buying his way into Harvard and taking away an enrollment spot from a kid who actually earned it
The ACC doesn’t think those schools will move the needle in any way. They are using the three new schools’ media shares (70% from CAL and Stanford and 100% from SMU) to pay off Clemson and FSU (and maybe UNC) to increase the annual payouts for the conference big dogs. It’s a last ditch effort from a dying conference to save itself.

dawg

If I'm Free Shoes or Clemson, I'd be pretty furious that Minnesota and Nebraska are getting paid 3x what I am for whatever it was they attempted to do on national television last night. Because it wasn't football, or at least any form of it that has been played since 1920. I'm assuming the ACC is going to shunt the pro-rata increase money that SMU is 100% forgoing and CalFord are ~70% forgoing to try and keep Free Shoes and Clemson (maybe UNC and Miami) a little happier for a little while longer before they defect.

I have come to revel in the lamentations of my enemies. Please do not disappoint me.
No lamentations; we're casually interested to see if SMU finally stops being terrible. Y'alls NIL program seems to finally indicate there is some interest among alums and donors. You know, what TCU's alums and donors realized in 1996.

Limey Frog

I'm already seeing SMU fan takes that SMU should have no interest in renewing the series because SMU is now in a better conference and therefore superior.
That's what I'm talking about. That's the kind of stuff you can really built a nice rivalry on. I want to see these twerps suffer. I want to drink their tears (except not actually because I can't handle that amount of cocaine entering my system.)

Hemingway

The ACC doesn’t think those schools will move the needle in any way. They are using the three new schools’ media shares (70% from CAL and Stanford and 100% from SMU) to pay off Clemson and FSU (and maybe UNC) to increase the annual payouts for the conference big dogs. It’s a last ditch effort from a dying conference to save itself.
We lived this. Those schools are gone.

Limey Frog

ESPN has to be really pissed off about this, too. They just gave Disney a big incentive to move some things around. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Eight

That's what I'm talking about. That's the kind of stuff you can really built a nice rivalry on. I want to see these twerps suffer. I want to drink their tears (except not actually because I can't handle that amount of cocaine entering my system.)

scheiss them, let the series die, and let them talk on social media,

the season starts tomorrow and any more time discussing smu and the acc is wasted time and energy

Limey Frog

scheiss them, let the series die, and let them talk on social media,

the season starts tomorrow and any more time discussing smu and the acc is wasted time and energy
Agree there, other than letting the series die.

It's Friday; I'm wearing my TCU tie at work because the Horned Frogs are playing an actual football game tomorrow. SMU is a gnat that just landed in the last dregs of your drink after you were done with it anyway. Not even worth removing their tiny corpse.

dawg

This. The ACC buying themselves a few more years by trying to get Free Shoes and Clemson closer to the SEC payouts. It will work, for while.

McFroggin

This is a sign that the ACC is going to be picked over soon. Big12 will be looking to go to 20 teams when Clemson, FSU, UNC, Virginia and maybe others go Big10 and SEC. ACC is bracing for impact.

Ron Swanson

Agree there, other than letting the series die.

It's Friday; I'm wearing my TCU tie at work because the Horned Frogs are playing an actual football game tomorrow. SMU is a gnat that just landed in the last dregs of your drink after you were done with it anyway. Not even worth removing their tiny corpse.
Are you a lawyer? What profession makes people wear ties in 2023?

ShreveFrog

I don’t understand why NC St. flipped as the deciding vote to allow this weird move.

Palliative Care

Yes the SMU fans can now say that they are our equals but instead they will claim that they are better than us for some perverse reasoning. It does not matter.

First we are getting the funds to make our program great and SMU will be getting donations to what?

Build a new stadium- that still has no parking.

Buy more players through the NIL because they are now Part of a Power 4 conference that few people and high schools players here know anything about?

What happens when after pouring all this money into the program and the needle does not move?

Actually I wish to thank SMU for demonstrating how rotten this system has become. Pay to play has never been so apparent or so depressingly perverse.