• The KillerFrogs

AAS: Man acquitted in punch that injured TCU football player Cole Novak

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Man acquitted in punch that injured TCU football player Cole Novak

By Ryan Autullo
American-Statesman Staff

A Travis County jury concluded that the punch that left Texas Christian University football player Cole Novak with a broken jaw outside of a West Sixth Street bar last summer was justified.

Needing less than an hour to reach a verdict Wednesday, the jury acquitted 25-year-old defendant Humberto “Beto” Barrera of all charges, deciding he had lawfully protected his friend from harm when he hit Novak once in the mouth.The jury also acquitted Barrera of a lesser charge of misdemeanor assault.

Read more at https://www.mystatesman.com/news/cr...all-player-cole-novak/bvVZoQSl4H3qqr7VsFV8VN/

tcudoc

Honestly if that’s exactly what happened and I’m on that jury I would have decided the same way.
Agree, and it would have taken way less than an hour to get there. I feel bad for the TCU player, but if you instigate a fight and threaten someone's safety and then come out on the losing end of it, take your lumps, learn your lesson, and move along. The reality of the story that came out in court makes him (Novak) look a lot worse.

Frog-in-law1995

I hope Novak’s dad’s talk of a civil suit against Barrera was just post-acquittal posturing to save a little face. 6’6” 260 lb tight end pushed a guy 30 feet for speaking to his brother’s girlfriend at a bar, then gets hit once by a 5’9” 168 lb guy, and sues him? Maybe if Barrera had brass knuckles on or something. Otherwise, GT-O with that nonsense.

Volare

Agree, and it would have taken way less than an hour to get there. I feel bad for the TCU player, but if you instigate a fight and threaten someone's safety and then come out on the losing end of it, take your lumps, learn your lesson, and move along. The reality of the story that came out in court makes him (Novak) look a lot worse.

That's not what the original story said. Novak testified that his brother had had an altercation inside and he had come upon the situation later without laying hands on anyone til he got sucker punched.

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/cr...om-sixth-street-punch/Rtp0HNpjr04EVqRmXbzMaP/

ThisIsOurTime

12 jurors heard both sides and found the Defendant "not guilty".

Case closed.

Only in the court room. This is the internet. Nothing is ever over here or in the court of public opinion. It only gets replaced with other things to argue over and can always be revived at a moment's notice.

Zubaz

Only in the court room. This is the internet. Nothing is ever over here or in the court of public opinion. It only gets replaced with other things to argue over and can always be revived at a moment's notice.
6jC3swH.jpg