• The KillerFrogs

A Briles profanity filter is STUPID

finafrog

Guys...I just tried to have some fun with it.

It can change and probably will in the not too distant future

Much appreciated! Keep a few choice words associated with him and his character, but in a manner that can be remembered and can be intuitively translated as before (e.g., ship, popsicle, etc.). I would also vote to use "Baylor" as toilet (or related activities), just like in the TCU Magazine article (https://magazine.tcu.edu/spring-2011/little-bit-remembers-lot/), and also characterizing their stadium. Let's have fun with it.

Deep Purple

Guys...I just tried to have some fun with it.

It can change and probably will in the not too distant future
I suggest a compromise.

When substitute words are so far off in sound from the original profanities, it makes posts harder to read. Why not substitute more benign words that imitate the profanity, but aren't as harsh on the ear? You could even use some of the mispronounced profanities of Roman Moronie from Johnny Dangerously. Examples:

Any variation of the F-bomb = farg / farged / farging. Example: "Farging referee."

Female dog = batch. Example: "Son of a batch."

Donkey = arse. Example: "You're an arsehole." (I'll probably hear this one a lot.)

Rooster euphemism for penis = cork. Example. "Cork-sucker" Note: I would exempt the word "d_ick" from the filter because 1) it's a common name (i.e., "D_ick's Sporting Goods") and 2) Even when used as a profanity, it's a pretty mild one. I understand the cringe factor over excessive profanity, but people don't need to be hemophiliac about it.

Slang for vagina = posse. Example: "Baker Mayfield acted like a total posse."

Fecal matter = [ Finebaum ]e (or shart). Example: "Baylor is a [ Finebaum ]ehole."

Illegitimate son = bastage. Example: "Art Briles is a real bastage."

Just a suggestion.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I suggest a compromise.

When substitute words are so far off in sound from the original profanities, it makes posts harder to read. Why not substitute more benign words that imitate the profanity, but aren't as harsh on the ear? You could even use some of the mispronounced profanities of Roman Moronie from Johnny Dangerously. Examples:

Any variation of the F-bomb = farg / farged / farging. Example: "Farging referee."

Donkey = arse. Example: "You're an arsehole." (I'll probably hear this one a lot.)

Rooster euphemism for penis = cork. Example. "Cork-sucker" Note: I would exempt the word "d_ick" from the filter because 1) it's a common name (i.e., "D_ick's Sporting Goods") and 2) Even when used as a profanity, it's a pretty mild one. I understand the cringe factor over excessive profanity, but people don't need to be hemophiliac about it.

Fecal matter = [ Finebaum ]e (or shart). Example: "Baylor is a [ Finebaum ]ehole."

Just a suggestion.
Liked for the Johnny Dangerously reference.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I agree the old filters were better. Too much Art Briles nonsense and it's wearing me out.

When the filters can eventually be turned off I plan to turn them off bc of the Briles infatuation. I had no intention at all of turning off the filters before this happened.

Denial is not the way to good mental health.

Tape a game, close your eyes, listen to this inane sound, imagine any other school doing it.

Are you saying to yourself, "damn, those guys are sooo cool!." If you do, you probably had Backstreet Boys posters...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
giphy.gif

Above post was supposed to be a response to ⬆️

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Rooster euphemism for penis = cork. Example. "Cork-sucker"

I work with several Italians (not Italian-Americans). It's all I can do to keep a straight face because this SNL skit is always in the back of my mind when I speak with them:

people don't need to be hemophiliac about it.

Dumb. Hemophilia is a hereditary, gender-linked blood defect occurring almost exclusively in males that is marked by delayed clotting of the blood with prolonged or excessive internal or external bleeding after injury or surgery and in severe cases spontaneous bleeding into joints and muscles and that is caused by a deficiency of clotting factors. Not characterized by hysteria or other behaviors that better fit your point. Just a dumb analogy.

Deep Purple

Dumb. Hemophilia is a hereditary, gender-linked blood defect occurring almost exclusively in males that is marked by delayed clotting of the blood with prolonged or excessive internal or external bleeding after injury or surgery and in severe cases spontaneous bleeding into joints and muscles and that is caused by a deficiency of clotting factors. Not characterized by hysteria or other behaviors that better fit your point. Just a dumb analogy.
It's also a euphemism for people who are too thin-skinned.

"Their thin skin. Their skyscraping paranoia. Their cavernous memory for slights. It’s hard to think of two modern presidents with a more dire case of political hemophilia. Once wounded, these men never stop bleeding."
--NY Times, "‘Richard Nixon,’ Portrait of a Thin-Skinned, Media-Hating President," March 29, 2017

So, the day isn't a total loss. You learned something.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs

"Their thin skin. Their skyscraping paranoia. Their cavernous memory for slights. It’s hard to think of two modern presidents with a more dire case of political hemophilia. Once wounded, these men never stop bleeding."
--NY Times, "‘Richard Nixon,’ Portrait of a Thin-Skinned, Media-Hating President," March 29, 2017

Thanks. I have hemophilia. As do my family members. I'm well aware of the consequences. Not a good euphemism.

Last edited:

Brog

I suggest a compromise.

Just a suggestion.

And a substitute for Deep Purple could be "Steep Burple".

Deep Purple

Thanks. I have hemophilia. As do my family members. I'm well aware of the consequences. Not a good analogy.
I didn't invent the word or the usages, NMN.

I have chronic high blood pressure. Several members of my family have died from aneurysm and I'm at risk of the same. But I don't get all wounded whenever someone says, "Don't burst a blood vessel."

nwlafrog

988.gif

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Back to the issue at hand: profanity filters.

I understand the need for them. However--IMHO-- the filters used now (and in the past) have been sophomoric at best and, in some cases, embarrassing.

I will once again suggest that the board ownership use the accepted linguistic fig leaf "expletive deleted" as the sole filter for all unacceptable words (or phrases).