• The KillerFrogs

8-team Playoff

The Big 12 needs to expand or we aer going to be looked at like the Big East was in the old days, OK or TX will be picked as a wildcard with the rest left out whether they are league champions or not. Screw the talk of less $$. It will be a good investment in the future of the league and for us. Otherwise TCU could end up like S Florida when 2022 comes (due to our small fan base).

Wexahu

Disagree because then you get back to arguments like Big 12 Champ has 2 losses and Big Ten #2 has 2 losses so they should be #8 because no one plays defense in the Big 12, etc. Try to eliminate as much room for shenanigans as possible.

Don’t worry about what Power 5 Champ might get in that is on the bubble and worry more about who is getting left out that is Top 3-6 team that deserves to be in. Those are the teams getting screwed right now.

I partially agree. I think it'd be better if the Top 8 were picked by a committee or computer, but would say each P5 conference should be guaranteed a spot, and that a G5 team should be represented too but only if they are within the Top 15 or something. If no G5 team has a good year I don't want 10-2 Memphis in the playoffs over a more qualified P5 team.

Wexahu

One other note on this, if they ever do expand to 8 teams the Big 12 needs to drop the CCG immediately, or else they'll essentially be capped at one team making the playoffs, while all the other conferences have a decent chance at two or more. The odds that the loser of the Big 12 CCG still being a Top 8 team are pretty remote.

See, I've already identified a glitch in the system!

HFrog1999

So, let’s assume they go to an 8 team “playoff”.

How many TCU fans are going to have the time and money to go to a quarterfinal, a semifinal and a championship game?

No thanks, I’d rather see them play the season, go to a good Bowl Game, and then complain about the mythical “National Championship”

I love College Football and the Bowls were a big part of it. ESPN ruined the bowls by over saturation.

Horny4TCU

How many TCU fans are going to have the time and money to go to a quarterfinal, a semifinal and a championship game?

No thanks, I’d rather see them play the season, go to a good Bowl Game, and then complain about the mythical “National Championship”

I love College Football and the Bowls were a big part of it. ESPN ruined the bowls by over saturation.
200w.webp

100.webp

200w.webp

DelFrog

Why do you assume that it would have to be the same, school based fans, attending every playoff game? Many fans, not affiliated with the playoff schools would jump at the chance to attend meaningful college football playoff games. In an eight team CFP, attendance would not be an issue.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Why do you assume that it would have to be the same, school based fans, attending every playoff game? Many fans, not affiliated with the playoff schools would jump at the chance to attend meaningful college football playoff games. In an eight team CFP, attendance would not be an issue.

Attendance isn't really an issue anyway, the money is all from TV. Sure, the standard "Bowl System" is a total ripoff to the schools that accept the bids, they have to sell the lousy tickets they are forced to buy from the Bowl to their supporters, and usually wind up losing money on the whole thing, but a Quarter, Semi, and Championship would have the TV people paying through the nose to broadcast the games. One more layer of dough on the cake.

Supporter fatigue is a reality, though. Nobody can afford to do that every year. It took us a year to pay off the Rose Bowl and we had set aside some early knowing that that team was special, and was going to do something wonderful.

Wexahu

I think you're off here. It's definitely an issue. I'm as big a college football fan as there is, and I wouldn't pay big $ to go see USC-Oklahoma in a CFP game, I'd be perfectly happy watching it on TV. Quarterfinal games would almost have to be in home stadiums, and even then a lot of those people are paying big money to travel into town.

Eight

Quarterfinals at stadium of higher seed

you were on the right tract.

again, follow the model that already works at every other level of college football. highest seed hosts the game and that rewards the 4 teams with the highest seeds.

also believe that to host you need to have won a conference title so this year for example you wouldn't have uga hosting ou.

championship game is at a pre-determined neutral site.

as said before, this system has worked at every other level of college football without the resources of the big schools and the big tv contracts. it can work at the highest level, but it would also mean cutting ties with some of the biggest leaches in college sports, the bowls.

Wexahu

So now we are bitching about paying for games to attend if TCU was invited to a 8 team playoff?

Jeez, some of you guys are a beating.

I think one person just brought up the hypothetical scenario relating to TCU fans. The others are just mentioning how it might be a problem for any school's fans to travel and pay for potentially 3-4 (counting CCGs) games in December-January, right around Christmas time no less when a lot of people are already spending a [ Finebaum ] load of money. I guess that's a dumb thing to discuss.

I don't see what the big deal is or why that should make anyone a beating.

Dogfrog

Absolutely the five P-5 champs are auto qualifiers. Only the College football deep state (SEC/B1G/CFP/ESPN) employees and ass kissers think otherwise. Determine the participants on the field during regular season, regardless of ranking (Darn rankings). Bring integrity and general interest back to the game and watch ratings skyrocket.

Zubaz

Absolutely the five P-5 champs are auto qualifiers. Only the College football deep state (SEC/B1G/CFP/ESPN) employees and ass kissers think otherwise. Determine the participants on the field during regular season, regardless of ranking (Darn rankings). Bring integrity and general interest back to the game and watch ratings skyrocket.
I'd be fine if there were some sort of circuit breaker in the rankings, like Top 15 or 25 or whatever. I don't think unranked Pitt should get a shot at the NCG if they happened to beat Clemson this year.