• The KillerFrogs

8-team Playoff

Froginbedford

Gee, Gordon seems to have changed his mind since his 2010 statement regarding Big 10 schools: "We don't play Little Sisters of the Poor" after TCU qualified (under the old rules) to play Big 10 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl....

"West Virginia president E. Gordon Gee told The Athletic he doesn't think college football should wait for the ESPN contract to expire before making alterations to the system.

'I also want to be very clear: I think that there's arrogance of us not taking a look at someone like the University of Central Florida, just saying, 'Well, they're not worthy of it,'' Gee said. '"Maybe they are worthy of it based upon a number of considerations that need to be taken into account.'"

MAcFroggy

This would be good news for the Big 12.

I agree with this.

However, I think eliminating the conference championship games is a non-starter. Why would the SEC give up that showcase. It was the highest rated regular season game in 7 season.

The big 12 is making $30M-$40M a season on the game. The RRS rematch was the highest attended CCG in history this year. Why would conferences give away revenue and viewership like this and share it with other conferences and G5 schools? It makes no sense (especially for the SEC).

If CCG stayed in place, I wonder about the timing of the games. The NFL starts having Saturday games starting this weekend (two weeks after CCG weekend). As popular as college football is, the NFL is still king. It can not get pushed any further out because NFL playoffs are going on and would kill the CFP ratings wise (plus administrators do not want football becoming a two semester sports).

I am not saying they can not work out these issues, but there is probably some real logistical concerns that would need to be worked out.

Wexahu

I am not saying they can not work out these issues, but there is probably some real logistical concerns that would need to be worked out.

No doubt, and while they'll be able to work through them, it'll be harder than people realize IMO, and the end result isn't going to be as satisfying as everyone wants it to be. Will still be some pretty major flaws in the system.

Regarding the CCGs, they almost have to stay in place as long as there are 12 and 14-team conferences. Otherwise conference championships are going to determined as much by scheduling luck than on-field results, even more than now. I agree, with that and the money involved, those very most likely aren't going anywhere.

Bizarro Frog

I think it’s going to happen fast. The writing is on the wall that 3 or 4 of the same teams are going to be in the playoff every year and the fans are going to tune out. We can thank Iowa and Purdue for beating Ohio St and keeping them out.

This will be a huge boost to TCU and Coach P will know politics and the Old Blue Blood Network won’t be able to stop his teams in the future.

dawg

We'll see expansion within three years, IMHO, and it will be directly related to the secsecsec damn near getting in a two-loss non-champion over two one-loss P5 champions. Had Georgia gotten in (with a 20-point loss and garbage OOC schedule), Jim Delaney would would already be blowing up the four-team model.

Also, since the committee is giving the sec a complete and total pass for an 8-game conference schedule and late season FCS game, the B12 should adopt the same format. Although, magically, I can see ESPN witching about us doing it.

FrogLifeYo

4 was always an incredibly dumb idea. There are 5 ‘power’ conferences and you’ve set up a system that automatically leaves out at least 1 of them.

It would be hard to find a more incompetent organization than the NCAA.
Unless you believed that you could nudge things along toward another conference realignment towards only 4

froginmn

Gee, Gordon seems to have changed his mind since his 2010 statement regarding Big 10 schools: "We don't play Little Sisters of the Poor" after TCU qualified (under the old rules) to play Big 10 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl....
i-see-whatyou-did-there-also-over-here-14136092.png

Eight

The Big 10 getting left out multiple times has been awesome... knew it would push the expansion.

Although it's shocking the Power 5 haven't instituted a ban on Notre Dame until they join a conference.

notre dame is already in a conference for every other sport, but football and espn is not about to let one of the biggest name brands in college football be left out of the process.

ShreveFrog

CCG's will stay. They'll just become somewhat meaningless. And so revenue could drop.

No guarantee for a G5. They need to be ranked in the top 8.

Bizarro Frog

CCG's will stay. They'll just become somewhat meaningless. And so revenue could drop.

No guarantee for a G5. They need to be ranked in the top 8.
Disagree because then you get back to arguments like Big 12 Champ has 2 losses and Big Ten #2 has 2 losses so they should be #8 because no one plays defense in the Big 12, etc. Try to eliminate as much room for shenanigans as possible.

Don’t worry about what Power 5 Champ might get in that is on the bubble and worry more about who is getting left out that is Top 3-6 team that deserves to be in. Those are the teams getting screwed right now.