• The KillerFrogs

#8 in Baseball America

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(frogyou @ May 18 2010, 10:46 AM) [snapback]561084[/snapback]
are there ncaa rules about how much a pitcher can throw? not that i know a bunch about college baseball rules, but i have never heard about a rule limitation on a pitcher.

frogdaddy?

They were just talking on the Rangers broadcast last night about Scot Shields throwing something ridiculous in college - like 17 innings and 200+ pitches. Don't remember the school so I can't promise it was NCAA.

Houston Frog

They have inning limitations on the Little League kids (85 pitches per start and they can only throw every other day, or something like that), but I don't believe there are any limitations on college kids. I could be wrong, because I've never heard one way or another, but Auggie had that kid last year throw 160+ in their regional (against Army maybe?), and I have to imagine that any sort of pitch limit would have been broken in that instance if there was in fact a rule.

swimmerbabe11

I could be completely wrong..for some reason I had it in my head they could only play so many games or innings in a week or something like that...perhaps if they played so many innings in a game they couldn't play for the rest of the week?

I could be making that up completely...cause now I am googling and I can't find anything.

Houston Frog

I'm just really surprised that this question has been hanging out here for so long without a concrete answer. Generally, you can pose a rule question on KFC and have an answer (with sources) within 4 minutes.

maxmtex

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ May 18 2010, 03:46 PM) [snapback]561310[/snapback]
I'm just really surprised that this question has been hanging out here for so long without a concrete answer. Generally, you can pose a rule question on KFC and have an answer (with sources) within 4 minutes.

There are no pitching restrictions in college baseball. Some coaches protect their pitchers, and don't throw past 125-130 pitches ever. Others (Birmingham, Garrido) have no limits, as long as the pitcher is effective.

TCUExaminer

Contributor
QUOTE(swimmerbabe11 @ May 18 2010, 08:58 AM) [snapback]561000[/snapback]
No we wouldn't. Besides..that simply isn't how college baseball works.
We would drop a lot more weekend games because by the time we got to sunday, our pitcher's arms would be about as useful for throwing a baseball as I would be. It might make it to the catcher, but it sure as hell isn't going to win a baseball game. There are NCAA rules about how much you can use a pitcher for a reason. And we try to save guy's arms for a reason.

I think that our pitching staff is one of our strengths, we don't have very many high-scoring (opponent-wise) games outside of the Airforce series and the Baylor debacle. Both of which several pitchers got rocked and one where the climate is made for batters.

It's my own fault, but what I was trying to say and what was read are two completely different things. Also, there are no NCAA rules as to how often a pitcher can be used. In particular, Austin Wood threw 13 innings in one game just last season for Texas. If there were rules, there would have been major ramifications for that situation besides the usual "Texas over-works their pitchers" complaint that has gone around for years.

Aside from that small argument though, the point I was trying to make was "in a perfect world, our weekend guys could pitch the weekend games too and there stands a good chance our record would look a lot better if that was the case.

Either way though, I still take this team over last season's. The nature of the beast though is that everyone will look at the fact that the Frogs struggled against lower-ranked teams but competed very well with the top ones.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(frog13 @ May 18 2010, 05:21 PM) [snapback]561342[/snapback]
There are no pitching restrictions in college baseball. Some coaches protect their pitchers, and don't throw past 125-130 pitches ever. Others (Birmingham, Garrido) have no limits, as long as the pitcher is effective.

frog13 is correct, there are absolutely no restrictions on how much a pitcher can throw. Singling out Augie and Birmingham isn't really fair though. I could name another half dozen in the state of Texas alone that do the same things they do. College coaches are paid to win, most of them care about little (or nothing) else.

Leap Frog

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ May 18 2010, 07:04 PM) [snapback]561367[/snapback]
frog13 is correct, there are absolutely no restrictions on how much a pitcher can throw. Singling out Augie and Birmingham isn't really fair though. I could name another half dozen in the state of Texas alone that do the same things they do. College coaches are paid to win, most of them care about little (or nothing) else.

Am I correct that Schloss was going to use Purke to finish the delayed game, and then start him in the regularly scheduled game later? I liked that strategy, but of course, he had to pitch 5 innings, and was unavailable for the next game.

maxmtex

QUOTE(Leap Frog @ May 19 2010, 03:00 PM) [snapback]561676[/snapback]
Am I correct that Schloss was going to use Purke to finish the delayed game, and then start him in the regularly scheduled game later? I liked that strategy, but of course, he had to pitch 5 innings, and was unavailable for the next game.

Schloss was not going to allow Purke to start the next game under any circumstances. He had hoped to throw Matt three innings and give him a rest since he is 19 years old and hasn't pitched 80 innings in a season before. The extra innings complicated things, but since Matt was loose and throwing well, he was our best bet. 75 pitches later, he was a winner (and was named conference pitcher of the week, to boot!).