• The KillerFrogs

#8 in Baseball America

Metropolis777

While our RPI plummeted from 13 to 20, we're still #8 in Baseball America.

Although it probably doesn't matter now after the loss on Saturday, here's what our resume looks like right now:

TCU

RPI: 20
W-L: 40-11
SOS: 38
Road W-L: 17-6
Neutral W-L: 2-1
Top 25: 2-3
26-50: 6-3
51-100: 13-1
101+: 19-4
Last 12: 9-3

Metropolis777

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 17 2010, 11:57 AM) [snapback]560693[/snapback]
4 losses to 101+... ouch. its a great team but man that hurts.

That will probably be the final nail in the coffin keeping us from a national seed. Hell, if OU (RPI 25) loses a few this weekend and Tech (RPI 51) Baylor (RPI 50) & TX State (RPI 49) win, we end up going 2-1 against the Top 25, 10-5 against 26-50, 9-1 against 50-100. That would be an awesome resume for a national seed. But a loss to SDSU (RPI 102), DBU (RPI 119) and 2 losses to AFA (RPI 254) pretty much kill our chances.

TCUExaminer

Contributor
I guess that's what's funny about baseball. Even your best teams are going to have a hard time sweeping a four game set vs. an opponent but that loss still counts heavily. Personally, I think RPI is over-rated because like the strength of schedule argument in football; the only way to truly help your SOS is to lose.

I mean if your opponents have a record of somewhere around 475 wins and 525 losses but your team record is 40-11, then looks can be deceiving. That means that your opponents, when they don't play you, were actually 486-485. That may not sound like much, but looks a heck of a lot more impressive. (The numbers work better in a football argument just because of a smaller sample-size of games but the same principle applies)

There's a reason this team is towards the top of most of the human polls. RPI doesn't take the human element into consideration. (the human element of the players, not the voters) Texas dropped two of three to New Mexico to start the season, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would put the Lobos ahead of the Longhorns on their ballot.

My take on this TCU team so far is that they do get into a habit of playing down to their opponent in some instances. But what it really boils down to is the fact that if the weekend starters were also starting the weekday games, I think we'd be talking about a team with a record of about 45-6.

masterfrog

QUOTE(Metropolis777 @ May 17 2010, 09:51 AM) [snapback]560690[/snapback]
While our RPI plummeted from 13 to 20, we're still #8 in Baseball America.

Although it probably doesn't matter now after the loss on Saturday, here's what our resume looks like right now:

TCU

RPI: 20
W-L: 40-11
SOS: 38
Road W-L: 17-6
Neutral W-L: 2-1
Top 25: 2-3
26-50: 6-3
51-100: 13-1
101+: 19-4
Last 12: 9-3

It is pretty sad that Air Force who only has 12 wins all year has as many wins against Top 25 teams as we do. Let's see their resume.

TCU2002

QUOTE(TCUExaminer @ May 17 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]560714[/snapback]
But what it really boils down to is the fact that if the weekend starters were also starting the weekday games, I think we'd be talking about a team with a record of about 45-6.

This is just not a reasonable argument. Our pitching staff is what it is - obviously not deep enough for us to go 45-6 given the quality of competition we have faced. Strategically, we could have deployed our staff in a different way to throw our biggest arms in mid-week games, but then our conference record may well be worse.

Every team would like their chances if their ace threw every game, but this is baseball and that doesn't happen. Momentum is the next game's starting pitcher.

The good news is we will have much more control over how to deploy our arms in a Super-regional scenario. In Regional play, it all depends on winning that first game (and hopefully the second as well).

swimmerbabe11

But what it really boils down to is the fact that if the weekend starters were also starting the weekday games, I think we'd be talking about a team with a record of about 45-6.

No we wouldn't. Besides..that simply isn't how college baseball works.
We would drop a lot more weekend games because by the time we got to sunday, our pitcher's arms would be about as useful for throwing a baseball as I would be. It might make it to the catcher, but it sure as hell isn't going to win a baseball game. There are NCAA rules about how much you can use a pitcher for a reason. And we try to save guy's arms for a reason.

I think that our pitching staff is one of our strengths, we don't have very many high-scoring (opponent-wise) games outside of the Airforce series and the Baylor debacle. Both of which several pitchers got rocked and one where the climate is made for batters.

Spike

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 17 2010, 04:57 PM) [snapback]560693[/snapback]
4 losses to 101+... ouch. its a great team but man that hurts.

AFA x 2 and DBU, who else? Who would have thought DBU would be an RPI killer?

In possibly the most important game of the year, this team responded w/ a 26-4 win.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(TCUExaminer @ May 17 2010, 12:40 PM) [snapback]560714[/snapback]

That makes no sense. Because you would lose conference games (most weekend series are conference games) throwing Holle or Gerrish or someone else because Winkler, Purke and Maxwell couldn't pitch twice in a week.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(Spike @ May 18 2010, 09:53 AM) [snapback]561040[/snapback]

In possibly the most important game of the year, this team responded w/ a 26-4 win.

San Diego State is the other RPI killer.

Metropolis777

SDSU is currently at 102.

SnoSki

UTA?

UTSA?

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(Metropolis777 @ May 18 2010, 10:03 AM) [snapback]561043[/snapback]
SDSU is currently at 102.

Sorry Sam Houston State is at 201 in one Pseudo RPI I saw.

SnoSki

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ May 18 2010, 10:21 AM) [snapback]561053[/snapback]

We swept em though..

frogyou

QUOTE(swimmerbabe11 @ May 18 2010, 08:58 AM) [snapback]561000[/snapback]
No we wouldn't. Besides..that simply isn't how college baseball works.
We would drop a lot more weekend games because by the time we got to sunday, our pitcher's arms would be about as useful for throwing a baseball as I would be. It might make it to the catcher, but it sure as hell isn't going to win a baseball game. There are NCAA rules about how much you can use a pitcher for a reason. And we try to save guy's arms for a reason.

I think that our pitching staff is one of our strengths, we don't have very many high-scoring (opponent-wise) games outside of the Airforce series and the Baylor debacle. Both of which several pitchers got rocked and one where the climate is made for batters.

are there ncaa rules about how much a pitcher can throw? not that i know a bunch about college baseball rules, but i have never heard about a rule limitation on a pitcher.

frogdaddy?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(frogyou @ May 18 2010, 10:46 AM) [snapback]561084[/snapback]
are there ncaa rules about how much a pitcher can throw? not that i know a bunch about college baseball rules, but i have never heard about a rule limitation on a pitcher.

frogdaddy?

If there is Soggy Burrito and New Mexico's Birmingham are unaware of it ...

Metropolis777

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ May 18 2010, 10:21 AM) [snapback]561053[/snapback]

He asked who the other 101+ loss was to.

We have lost 4 games to RPI 101+ teams:

3/22 at Dallas Baptist (DBU) RPI 119
3/26 at Air Force (AFA) RPI 254
4/03 vs. San Diego St (SDSU) RPI 102
5/15 vs Air Force (AFA) RPI 254