• The KillerFrogs

247 sports says changes might happen at coordinator(s) in next 24 hours

Frankly, I don't either.

I have bloviated endlessly in the past about Coaches whose ego leads them to try and hammer square pegs into round holes with players. Not taking their existing talents and working them into your system, but instead having them perform things they are not suited for but fit into that particular Coach's "system." Drives me pig-biting mad...
I agree. We clearly weren’t physical enough and playing teams straight up for the most part didn’t work at all. It’s up to the coach to keep trying different things to find something that works.

Throwing your hands up and saying well I guess this group just can’t do what I want to do shouldn’t be an option.

McGregor's Goat

Just saying. This is UT’s DC 3rd year. The fans hated the guy the first two years and wanted him out while he was collecting and developing “his” guys. Now in his 3rd year they love him. not saying we are going to have the same result but Im betting that’s what we are sold.

I didn't know this (I'm not saying it's wrong) so I looked up UT's defensive rankings (per Sports Reference)

2021: 99
2022: 28
2023: 12

Yeah, they were bad in 2021, but the defense was kind of good in 2022, hard to see why you would want a guy fired with that much improvement. For TCU, I see:

2021: (last year of GP): 118
2022: 91
2023: 83

I was optimistic on Gillespie after 2022 because the 2021 defense was shockingly helpless and often not even trying. They weren't good in 2022 but they were definitely improved. But I didn't see any improvement in 2023, and they were often just badly outcoached. I'm not seeing any real improvement here.

Planks

Just curious. How long will that take?

I wish I could do that-I need to retool my team-come back and judge me in 3-4 years.

Depending upon the position, it can take 3-4 years before players are really ready to contribute. Offensive and Defensive lineman specifically. So yes, waiting 3-4 years to judge a new coaching staff isn’t a ridiculous idea.

I fully understand this is an unpopular opinion for angry fans who are out for blood and want change NOW.

Bruce Berry

Depending upon the position, it can take 3-4 years before players are really ready to contribute. Offensive and Defensive lineman specifically. So yes, waiting 3-4 years to judge a new coaching staff isn’t a ridiculous idea.

I fully understand this is an unpopular opinion for angry fans who are out for blood and want change NOW.

Its certainly a business where coaches get 3-4 years to prove themselves then are evaluated.

I'm thinking the portal kinda changes you're perspective but what do I know.

I don't think anyone is "out for blood." I'm not. Just better defense.

Wexahu

Its certainly a business where coaches get 3-4 years to prove themselves then are evaluated.

I'm thinking the portal kinda changes you're perspective but what do I know.

I don't think anyone is "out for blood." I'm not. Just better defense.
I think the 3-4 years "to build a program" idea is a thing of the past. In the age of social media and, more importantly, big $$, the negativity snowballs so fast that schools don't think they can wait. They can at least sell hope and it's easier to sell hope with a new coach every 3-4 years.

Some of the the lower level P5 schools are almost guaranteed to switch coaches every 3-4 years. If the guy does well, he'll move on to a better job. If he goes .500 or something for 3 years, he'll get canned so the school can sell the thought that the new guy they hire is going to be the guy that changes everything. Wash, rinse, repeat, over and over again.

Horny4TCU

Is TCU cursed to keep crappy coordinators around longer than they should?

Shultz
Sharp
Anderson
Cumbie
And the trend continues into a new staff...
Gillespie

Toad Jones

Is TCU cursed to keep crappy coordinators around longer than they should?

Shultz
Sharp
Anderson
Cumbie
And the trend continues into a new staff...
Gillespie
It's been that way for many, many years! If we can field a competitive team, and maybe rank in the top 20, we're overjoyed. Do that and the donations will come in consistently. The coaches...???...you understand, I'm sure.

06DallasFrog

I think the 3-4 years "to build a program" idea is a thing of the past. In the age of social media and, more importantly, big $$, the negativity snowballs so fast that schools don't think they can wait. They can at least sell hope and it's easier to sell hope with a new coach every 3-4 years.

Some of the the lower level P5 schools are almost guaranteed to switch coaches every 3-4 years. If the guy does well, he'll move on to a better job. If he goes .500 or something for 3 years, he'll get canned so the school can sell the thought that the new guy they hire is going to be the guy that changes everything. Wash, rinse, repeat, over and over again.
There was an article evaluating NFL coaches and winning. The data pretty much showed that if your coach hasn't won it all in their first few years, you should just move on from them. It talked a lot about the psychology behind messages and motivational styles getting stale. CFB is not the NFL, but it's moving that direction. And, when you consider the shortening attention spans of pretty much everyone, it makes sense.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Wasn't it a 6 year contract for potentially $30m? He's 2 years in. After next year, max $15m buyout? No way we guaranteed that much. If so, we suck at guaranteeing a coach from SMU that much scratch.

Maybe they wait an extra year but accepting the dumpster fire of the worst DC in college football with 7 returning starters sucks