• The KillerFrogs

247 sports says changes might happen at coordinator(s) in next 24 hours

Limp Lizard

I don't buy the play calling angle as the major cause of such a poor defense. We don't know if the calls were any good because the defensive players blow their assignments regularly. I doubt we have a play call to tackle poorly or blow a coverage. Those weakness are a result of what happens Sunday-Friday, not just on Saturday.

The players just look lost out there. And don't know how to tackle.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don't buy the play calling angle as the major cause of such a poor defense. We don't know if the calls were any good because the defensive players blow their assignments regularly. I doubt we have a play call to tackle poorly or blow a coverage. Those weakness are a result of what happens Sunday-Friday, not just on Saturday.

The players just look lost out there. And don't know how to tackle.
Both issues are the responsibility of the Coach. It is his job to instill the discipline necessary to observe the fundamentals of the positions, such as tackling, who to watch, hip turns, and what your responsibilities are on each formation. Success or failure is measured by these basics, and it is evident that this season was a failure.

The mystifying thing is, there were games in which they did perform superbly. Followed by a game where they couldn't get out of their own way. This wild inconsistency is squarely placed upon the shoulders of the Coach. It is his responsibility.

Opintel

Moderators
Both issues are the responsibility of the Coach. It is his job to instill the discipline necessary to observe the fundamentals of the positions, such as tackling, who to watch, hip turns, and what your responsibilities are on each formation. Success or failure is measured by these basics, and it is evident that this season was a failure.

The mystifying thing is, there were games in which they did perform superbly. Followed by a game where they couldn't get out of their own way. This wild inconsistency is squarely placed upon the shoulders of the Coach. It is his responsibility.
Basic...ain't there. Bravo, BF.

Frawg

Pretty sure we’ll be told we have had to retool the roster to accommodate the 3-3-5
Gillespie stays and Sonny is fired by end of 2025 at latest. Maybe end of next year
tend to agree. I expect to hear “Gillespie needs time to get and properly assimilate his players. Inherited a roster ill equipped to excel at his style. Be patient like they were in Austin with their DC.“ Something like that. New secondary coach, DL, etc

Bruce Berry

Pretty sure we’ll be told we have had to retool the roster to accommodate the 3-3-5

tend to agree. I expect to hear “Gillespie needs time to get and properly assimilate his players. Inherited a roster ill equipped to excel at his style. Be patient like they were in Austin with their DC.“ Something like that. New secondary coach, DL, etc

Just curious. How long will that take?

I wish I could do that-I need to retool my team-come back and judge me in 3-4 years.

FrogCop19

I agree, BF. The part that really confuses me is that these kids were probably the best at their position in high school. Working closely with my local high school coaches, I can see the kids that have the potential to go D1 vs. the ones that are gonna end up in a juco school somewhere (or even never put pads on again). How bad does a coach have to be confusing the kids up that they forget what they've been the "best" at for going on 6, 7 years? Is it lack of prep for individual opponents? Is it constant changes in the schemes that confuses them? Is it OVER prep for an individual opponent?

I don't get it.

Frawg

Just curious. How long will that take?

I wish I could do that-I need to retool my team-come back and judge me in 3-4 years.
Just saying. This is UT’s DC 3rd year. The fans hated the guy the first two years and wanted him out while he was collecting and developing “his” guys. Now in his 3rd year they love him. not saying we are going to have the same result but Im betting that’s what we are sold.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I don't get it.
Frankly, I don't either.

I have bloviated endlessly in the past about Coaches whose ego leads them to try and hammer square pegs into round holes with players. Not taking their existing talents and working them into your system, but instead having them perform things they are not suited for but fit into that particular Coach's "system." Drives me pig-biting mad...

Wexahu

Frankly, I don't either.

I have bloviated endlessly in the past about Coaches whose ego leads them to try and hammer square pegs into round holes with players. Not taking their existing talents and working them into your system, but instead having them perform things they are not suited for but fit into that particular Coach's "system." Drives me pig-biting mad...
Like when GP used to play guys that weighed 225 lbs at DE?

Traveling Frog

The problem is the players are so far out of position with bad play calls it doesn’t matter who is in there. You can blitz a 5 star linebacker who Gillespie lines up with the safety’s and he isn’t going to make any more of an impact as a walk on. Same when there is a 8 yard gap between linemen and everyone else. The only possible way I see Gillespie being successful is with all three of the d linemen being first round nfl talent. Then again any DC can be successful with that.