• The KillerFrogs

2023 TCU Baseball Thread

froglash88

The game isn't for the players, it's for the fans. Without paying fans, there would be no players. And there's nothing about the speed of the game that detrimentally affects player safety. For nearly 140 years, baseball was played at a substantially faster pace than the glacial games of today, yet there was no significantly higher incidence in player injuries than today.

According to who? The revenue and attendance studies say differently. Speaking for myself, I'm much more likely to buy a ticket for a game that takes less than 3 hours to play rather than one that stretches over 4 hours or more, with no baseball being played during at least a third of that time. Watching a player restrap his batting glove three times before stepping into the box is not watching baseball.

From the 1870s until the 1990s, baseball was played at a much faster pace than it is today. The average length of a game was less than 2 hr. The first pro team to ever play a three-hour game was the New York Yankees in 1988. But even as late as 2004, the average game length was only 2 hr 21 min. By 2014, it had crept up to 3 hr 5 min. Today it is 3 hr 10 min and climbing. And that is the average, mind you, meaning a huge number of games take much longer -- 4 or more hours.

So if you're really concerned about preserving the heritage of "America's pastime," you should favor speeding up the games, not preserving the current status quo of ever-longer and longer games. The slow pace of baseball today is a completely modern development. It has absolutely nothing to do with the tradition of "America's pastime."

No. It takes the outcome of the game out of hands of coaches and teams who deliberately slow-play in order to gain some perceived tactical advantage. If they want to minimize the ump factor in the game, all they have to do is quit stalling and delaying play. It's that simple.

Good rule, long overdue.
Wrong
Wrong
And
Wrong

It sucks Period. You must not have been a player, coach or have a kid playing or that played.

The pitch clock won't be as big an issue in the regular season. Only reason it was this weekend is because there was a clock behind HP to the 1st base side in direct view of the 3BU. Unless they've added one at Lupton and every other stadium in the country, only the HPU will have a view of the pitch clock and he may catch it, at most, 50% of the time. I don't mind it bc no one likes a 4 hr baseball game but this weekend was over the top.

PurpleBlood87

The pitch clock won't be as big an issue in the regular season. Only reason it was this weekend is because there was a clock behind HP to the 1st base side in direct view of the 3BU. Unless they've added one at Lupton and every other stadium in the country, only the HPU will have a view of the pitch clock and he may catch it, at most, 50% of the time. I don't mind it bc no one likes a 4 hr baseball game but this weekend was over the top.

I could be wrong, but the third base umpire is the guy who has a remote control to start the clock.

SoonerFrogs

I've seen the clock at two stadiums already. Just sayin.

NewFrogFan

There is no pickoff amount rule
A good point, MLB stadium had way more “tools” on the wall, and behind the plate!

Eight

will be interesting to watch the pitching staff take shape

they were some very positive moments, some obvious growing pains of youngsters, and a few frustrating moments from some more experienced arms

obviously a great deal of potential and the conference looks to be fairly open at this time

Last edited:

ftwfrog

The game isn't for the players, it's for the fans. Without paying fans, there would be no players. And there's nothing about the speed of the game that detrimentally affects player safety. For nearly 140 years, baseball was played at a substantially faster pace than the glacial games of today, yet there was no significantly higher incidence in player injuries than today.

According to who? The revenue and attendance studies say differently. Speaking for myself, I'm much more likely to buy a ticket for a game that takes less than 3 hours to play rather than one that stretches over 4 hours or more, with no baseball being played during at least a third of that time. Watching a player restrap his batting glove three times before stepping into the box is not watching baseball.

From the 1870s until the 1990s, baseball was played at a much faster pace than it is today. The average length of a game was less than 2 hr. The first pro team to ever play a three-hour game was the New York Yankees in 1988. But even as late as 2004, the average game length was only 2 hr 21 min. By 2014, it had crept up to 3 hr 5 min. Today it is 3 hr 10 min and climbing. And that is the average, mind you, meaning a huge number of games take much longer -- 4 or more hours.

So if you're really concerned about preserving the heritage of "America's pastime," you should favor speeding up the games, not preserving the current status quo of ever-longer and longer games. The slow pace of baseball today is a completely modern development. It has absolutely nothing to do with the tradition of "America's pastime."

No. It takes the outcome of the game out of hands of coaches and teams who deliberately slow-play in order to gain some perceived tactical advantage. If they want to minimize the ump factor in the game, all they have to do is quit stalling and delaying play. It's that simple.

Good rule, long overdue.
I didn’t take the time to read the whole post, but started out with some fire, so I gave it a like!

Deep Purple

Wrong
Wrong
And
Wrong

It sucks Period. You must not have been a player, coach or have a kid playing or that played.
I gave you a factual history of how the game has evolved to its current slow pace. "Wrong" and "I sucks" aren't rationale counter arguments -- just a kid saying "Is not!" so as to get the final word.

My son and I both played the game through high school. During the period I played (60s & 70s), most games lasted a little less than 2 hours. During my son's day (90s-2000s), a little over 2 hours. Any game lasting up to 2½ hours was exceptionally long. Today any game lasting less than 3 hours is exceptionally short.

Sorry if that messes with your self-perception as the Final Word speaking for players and parents. But it is what it is.

ShreveFrog

I consider myself a baseball traditionalist. But I have to say, as a fan, I began to like the pitch/batter clock more in the second game that I saw last weekend. But if I were the coach wanting to put a play on, that :10 has to go by awful quickly to get the signal in to the batter and runner(s.)

hometown frog

I gave you a factual history of how the game has evolved to its current slow pace. "Wrong" and "I sucks" aren't rationale counter arguments -- just a kid saying "Is not!" so as to get the final word.

My son and I both played the game through high school. During the period I played (60s & 70s), most games lasted a little less than 2 hours. During my son's day (90s-2000s), a little over 2 hours. Any game lasting up to 2½ hours was exceptionally long. Today any game lasting less than 3 hours is exceptionally short.

Sorry if that messes with your self-perception as the Final Word speaking for players and parents. But it is what it is.
Mixing apples and oranges to me. Our 15u team got 7 innings in almost every game last fall with the 1:45 to 2:00 game clock. Our collegiate summer league team got its 7 or 9 innings in every game in a similar time slot. (Think it was 2:30) So the longer games issue isn’t at the lower levels. I read into that the media timeouts or video reviews that come in at college levels and above are driving the biggest jump from the ~2:30 hour marker up to 3:30-4:00+ hour marks we are seeing now. While there are certainly certain teams or players that drag out every pitch and should prob be hammered for it, I think this pitch clock is putting a ton of unnecessary pressure on the actual tactical parts of the game like calling pitches and setting up offensive plays. You start degrading that and the gameplay itself will suffer and worsen the product on the field. That’s my biggest concern with these new clock rules.

Deep Purple

Mixing apples and oranges to me. Our 15u team got 7 innings in almost every game last fall with the 1:45 to 2:00 game clock. Our collegiate summer league team got its 7 or 9 innings in every game in a similar time slot. (Think it was 2:30) So the longer games issue isn’t at the lower levels. I read into that the media timeouts or video reviews that come in at college levels and above are driving the biggest jump from the ~2:30 hour marker up to 3:30-4:00+ hour marks we are seeing now. While there are certainly certain teams or players that drag out every pitch and should prob be hammered for it, I think this pitch clock is putting a ton of unnecessary pressure on the actual tactical parts of the game like calling pitches and setting up offensive plays. You start degrading that and the gameplay itself will suffer and worsen the product on the field. That’s my biggest concern with these new clock rules.
That's about the best and most rationale argument I've heard on this topic. Now I have some things to think about -- dammit!

froglash88

Just an opinion. Not meant to argue. Ignore the wrong comments from me.

I hate the rule and hope it doesn’t last long. Again, I know it’s different than yours, but it’s my opinion (and I know it’s correct, jk lol).