• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

We’ve easily played more games than anyone in the 8 while missing key players. No Reyna since game one and Adams, Pulisic, Weah, Dest, and McKennie have all missed at least one game.
There was some stat going round the other day before this most recent first game that none of adams, McKennie, and dest had ever played one minute with one another on the same field while wearing a USA shirt…due to injuries and whatnot.

Purp

There was some stat going round the other day before this most recent first game that none of adams, McKennie, and dest had ever played one minute with one another on the same field while wearing a USA shirt…due to injuries and whatnot.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was McKennie, Adams, Pulisic, Musah, and Weah. They didn't have Dest in that group. Amazingly, you throw Reyna in that mix and we still haven't seen our true best 11 yet.

dawg

I'm worried the federation is happy with GB right now. 2021 was maybe our most successful year ever and he gets a ton of credit for that. Nobody wants to look at how much more successful it could have been, though. The Gold Cup was really great work with a 2nd team squad that required tactical mastery to put us in position to succeed. Big credit goes to GB for that. I have come to the conclusion, though, that GB is the ideal manager for a squad with inferior talent and a hard nosed work ethic. He's far from ideal when he's got elite talent and depth.

You can't get your 1st team players back and keep tinkering with the tactics like he did in the GC for every CONCACAF opponent. He's got more talent at his disposal than any USMNT manager ever has. Let them go out and play once the whistle blows and they'll dominate 80% of CONCACAF matches home or away with results to support it if you just go let them do what they do. I'm convinced he's repressing the potential of this group. The tactical options available with this squad are endless and it isn't a zero sum game between choosing offensive or defensive execution.

I'm just fed up with it, but also fairly certain nobody within the USSF will have the stones to acknowledge this before Qatar or after. I mean, we hear and read the excuses all the time right now.

"It's a very young and inexperienced group."

"Once they gain experience we'll see fewer growing pains like this."

"It's hard to play away from home in CONCACAF, especially with a young team."

"They haven't been able to play together long enough yet to really find their groove. Give them more time and it'll come together."

"We completely missed the last WC, which proves how hard this is. These kids are amazing for what they've done at their age. They'll only keep getting better."

All of that stuff may be true or have some truth to it, but it belies the fact that these kids are already better than their collective results yet we seem too eager to gloss over it. Most of this starting 11 plays for the best clubs in Europe and most have been seeing extensive Champions League minutes too. Am I supposed to believe that the collective UCL experience in this group isn't adequate to prepare for a road game in Jamaica or El Salvador? Sure, the grass is grown crazy high and the pitch is routinely sloppy and muddy, but the opposing players and environment are child's play by comparison. If they're consistently failing outside of the USA borders (assuming we have any) it's lazy to use the inexperience excuse. It's a failure of the staff to prepare them and deploy their talent in the best way possible.

I'm more convinced than ever that GB needs to go back to Columbus, but I'm also pretty sure Ernie Stewart won't be making a change quickly enough to Qatar to be fun.

/rant
All of this, esp the constant tinkering. Settle on your best XI, and ride with them.

GB did give us LLLa Tri this past year, and for that he has my gratitude. But as far as trusting him to get the max potential out of this current and upcoming harvest of talent at a WC....I don't think he's the guy.

dawg

Another on the move.

This is an interesting move. He's not a particularly high profile player and he's on the high end of the age range that typically moves to a top club in Europe. This morning I was just talking about how surprised I've been that Miles Robinson hasn't received more attention in Europe. He's basically the same age, plays the same position, and is widely regarded as being significantly better than Trusty hitting the very beginning of his prime. About the only reason I can think of that could explain the lack of interest in MRob is his age, and then this Trusty deal gets announced.

Since Kroenke owns both clubs I wonder if there's some sort of financial reasoning behind this deal and there's no real potential for Trusty to ever play for the Gunners. I saw that they plan to loan him out immediately upon arrival this summer. This seems like a weird deal to me. I'm not expecting Trusty to become a household name in Europe after this deal.
I suspect the Kroenke -obligatory "scheiss that [ mother farger ]" - link between his two clubs played a role here. Arsenal's youth scouting has been pretty spot-on lately (Saka and Smith-Rowe are England internationals who came through the academy). Given that Arteta and Edu just culled the roster of most of the dead weight players who don't figure in Arteta's plans, I would think they see him as a "low cost project with possible upside" sort of player.

Purp

All of this, esp the constant tinkering. Settle on your best XI, and ride with them.

GB did give us LLLa Tri this past year, and for that he has my gratitude. But as far as trusting him to get the max potential out of this current and upcoming harvest of talent at a WC....I don't think he's the guy.
I don't pay much attention to Hercules Gomez, but he had a rant I saw today in which he accused Berhalter of holding the team back. He lost me on certain finer points of his argument, but he at least made the point that these guys would be better under a different skip. Most of his rant was about the team being soft and he blamed Berhalter for that too. I don't think they're soft - I disagree with Herc there - bc guys like McKennie, Acosta, Adams, ARob, Aaronson and others are harder than woodpecker lips. But they aren't assertive and that's a byproduct of GB's tactics and mentality. That's what needs to change.

Moose Stuff

I don't pay much attention to Hercules Gomez, but he had a rant I saw today in which he accused Berhalter of holding the team back. He lost me on certain finer points of his argument, but he at least made the point that these guys would be better under a different skip. Most of his rant was about the team being soft and he blamed Berhalter for that too. I don't think they're soft - I disagree with Herc there - bc guys like McKennie, Acosta, Adams, ARob, Aaronson and others are harder than woodpecker lips. But they aren't assertive and that's a byproduct of GB's tactics and mentality. That's what needs to change.
scheiss Berhalter

geefrogs

FKV4HrlXoAA6kqr
FKlxOdaWYAQLFW8

Not saying these guys are the answer but, Luuk definitely was not. Actually think Aubameyang might have this chip on his shoulder to prove himself once again. I like it.

geefrogs

But most excited about this. Still have no idea where the money is coming from but I dont care anymore.

Ferran and Depay should be fun.

16415507415963.jpg

Purp

Chongo94

But most excited about this. Still have no idea where the money is coming from but I dont care anymore.

Ferran and Depay should be fun.

16415507415963.jpg
They apparently took out loans. Can’t imagine how that discussion with the banker went.

Supposedly they are like 1.8 billion dollars in debt?!

Moose Stuff

Extreme cold tonight of 2°F and -10° to -15°F windchill at 6:30 start.
Honestly it’s beyond absurd that this game is being played in Minneapolis. Par for the course with our federation.

Honestly it’s beyond absurd that this game is being played in Minneapolis. Par for the course with our federation.
When I first saw this game was being played in Minnesota I assumed it was to be played in the NFL stadium, but was surprised they would play on artificial turf. Then I saw it was being played at the outdoor Allianz Field (MLS) in St. Paul and was dumbfounded. Hard to believe the US players and coaches appreciate this. The grass is heated from underneath so that should play okay, but the players.... And if you are the Honduran team, jeepers.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

When I first saw this game was being played in Minnesota I assumed it was to be played in the NFL stadium, but was surprised they would play on artificial turf. Then I saw it was being played at the outdoor Allianz Field (MLS) in St. Paul and was dumbfounded. Hard to believe the US players and coaches appreciate this. The grass is heated from underneath so that should play okay, but the players.... And if you are the Honduran team, jeepers.
Wonder if the cold played any factor in Adams hammy strain the other day?