• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Sam’s Army annoys the scheiss out of me.
I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure they're no longer called Sam's Army. Instead it's the American Outlaws. I'm not sure why they annoy you. I spent a week in Germany with groups like that in 2006 for the WC and it was an absolute blast. The now seemingly defunct yanks-abroad.com hosted fan events in every city where the team traveled and played. We were in Kaiserslautern when the Nats drew Italy and these guys were everywhere.

We spent a whole day almost at a fan event that was $20 for all you can eat and drink at a place where they rented out the entire back half of the place. Games were on the projector and fans were everywhere and raucous the whole time. Awesome place. It was a restaurant in the front, but we weren't there. In the middle they had a huge courtyard where all the home brewing took place. In the back was a two level room with a huge bar under the mezzanine and tables/chairs set up everywhere. They let my nephew, who was 4 at the time, lead some cheers from the top of the stairs.

Maybe that's why, but I've always had an affinity for Sam's Army.

Purp

Costa Rica has really fallen on hard times unless they are missing a bunch of guys. They suck.
They had half their starters from Nations League last night and the other half were back-ups. But we only returned 2 starters so it's not like we were destroying their back-ups with our first team. I think it says a lot about our depth relative to theirs, though. They definitely don't suck with their first team. They took Mexico to penalties in the semifinal and even went beyond the first 5 spot kicks.

Also noteworthy, they apparently all got corona vaccines after the consolation match against Honduras in the Nations League so that could explain their lethargy. I know those vaccines have done a number on some people so maybe they were just feeling like hot garbage as a result.

Purp

I thought we saw some good things last night. Weah and Musah were really dynamic. Weah especially. He was everywhere in the first half and really made a lot happen.

Dike was a bit of a disappointment. He should have had 2 goals, but the first golden opportunity literally passed right in front of him and he made no effort to take the ball. I assume there had to be some miscommunication of some kind to cause him to back off, but your #9 should know he's got a95% chance at a goal there and ignore anybody calling him off the ball and he didn't do that. I've definitely seen him play much better in other aspects of the game too. He wasn't bad, but I'd put Sargent and Weah ahead of him right now based on what I've see in the last week.

Aaronson is the little engine that could. Really great work rate and he does a lot of things off the ball that aren't often noticed. He's a really good passer and he is very creative. He's not a guy that is going to dominate you 1v1, but he's a guy you love to have on the pitch. Bad news for him is that I don't see how he ever breaks into the first 11 b/c Pulisic and Reyna do everything he does, but they also have the 1v1 ability that makes them more dangerous. I told my wife last night that Aaronson was born 10 years too late. Until this generation he'd have been a star on every USMNT side we've ever fielded. Now, he might never be heard from if everyone stays healthy.

I really like McKenzie. Without Brooks next to him last night he stood out again as a solid center back. He's just very solid and made several really great passes to get forwards in behind the Ticos defense. Miazga, Ream, and Long (when he's healthy again) should all be 2nd team options at best, but with Chris Richards and Justin Che developing quickly they may even be 3rd teamers for the Nats in a couple years.

The more I see Robinson play the more I think Dest needs to be our right back and Reggie Cannon should be a back-up. I've made no secrets about my affinity for Reggie Cannon, but I just don't think he's got the dynamic technical ability that Robinson and Dest have. Dest is obviously at another level, but Robinson does some really great things with the ball at his feet too that create space for him and open up distribution lanes. Cannon is just a technically sound and positionally sound wing back who can make good crosses, has really good athleticism to defend 1v1, and has the stamina to play corner flag to corner flag for 90 minutes. I basically just described Steve Cherundolo, but Dest and Robinson bring an extra something to the table while maybe sacrificing a bit on defensive positioning. I really like watching Robinson play.

It's amazing to me to think about how our defense always had a weakness at left back and one of the center back spots, but now we're awash in center back options better than we've typically had and we have two very solid options at left back with Robinson and Dest. Add in Yedlin and Reynolds to the right back pool and our young depth and talent at every defensive position is stunning.

Musah really needs to be starting in front of McKennie in a 4-5-1 formation that allows Gio and Pulisic to play as hybrid midfielders/forwards on the wings. When you have guys like Dest, Robinson, Cannon, Yedlin, etc. who can defend high and join the attack from the wings it encourages those outside midfielders to pinch into the penalty area to find dangerous spaces to receive the ball. With Musah and McKennie running in behind them it further challenges the center backs b/c there are two center mids who can run directly at them and force them to decide who to cover and who to leave open. I just don't understand why Lletget would ever start in that role ahead of Musah. Lletget has been productive in that role, but he can't do the things Musah can do and Lletget has demonstrated he's not nearly as productive against top end competition. He was absolute rubbish against Switzerland and in the Nations League.

Chongo94

I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure they're no longer called Sam's Army. Instead it's the American Outlaws. I'm not sure why they annoy you. I spent a week in Germany with groups like that in 2006 for the WC and it was an absolute blast. The now seemingly defunct yanks-abroad.com hosted fan events in every city where the team traveled and played. We were in Kaiserslautern when the Nats drew Italy and these guys were everywhere.

We spent a whole day almost at a fan event that was $20 for all you can eat and drink at a place where they rented out the entire back half of the place. Games were on the projector and fans were everywhere and raucous the whole time. Awesome place. It was a restaurant in the front, but we weren't there. In the middle they had a huge courtyard where all the home brewing took place. In the back was a two level room with a huge bar under the mezzanine and tables/chairs set up everywhere. They let my nephew, who was 4 at the time, lead some cheers from the top of the stairs.

Maybe that's why, but I've always had an affinity for Sam's Army.

The OG’s were great. It’s this new iteration (the outlaws I guess then) that I’m not fond of. I feel it’s just too forced at times. The co-opting of the Viking clap among other chants grates me. The we believe thing was cool until they have now drawn it out even longer than how it was originally done.

Just find them a bit forced and comical and annoying for my tastes at times.

Purp

The OG’s were great. It’s this new iteration (the outlaws I guess then) that I’m not fond of. I feel it’s just too forced at times. The co-opting of the Viking clap among other chants grates me. The we believe thing was cool until they have now drawn it out even longer than how it was originally done.

Just find them a bit forced and comical and annoying for my tastes at times.
I think most soccer fan clubs are the same. A lot of it always seems contrived and unnatural (think of all the bass drums, horns, smoke bombs, etc. that you see all over the planet), but I enjoy it anyway b/c it's a hell of a lot better than the PA system and video board prompts to get fans into games. I much prefer the chants, cheers, and noise to come organically from the crown and the fan clubs are a great way to instigate it. And since no other America sports has anything like it I'm okay if they borrow chants, cheers, and movements from other soccer clubs around the world. I'm with @Moose Stuff . I just like that we have passionate fans b/c they make the others who'd ordinarily just be there like at any other American sport get more into the game too.

Moose Stuff

Regarding the comments on Aaronson above…. I think what he turns into (when the full squad is together) is a dynamic super sub that comes on mid second half and runs the opponents tired legs into the ground. Also, given the new reality of the qualifying schedule he’s gonna play quite a bit just out of necessity.

Purp

Little nuggets coming out that Arsenal may be interested in Tyler Adams.
With the disaster in Levy's office finding a replacement for Mourinho (it's not hard; just get a darning 98.6 body) and the seeming willingness to part with Kane I might just put on an ARSEnal shirt next season were this to happen. I'd even change my capitalization.

That said, I was looking forward to seeing that Leipzig side with Jesse and Tyler together. But they appear to be getting raided this summer.

Purp

I think he’s the key to our next decade with the USMNT. Absolutely need him to stay healthy
I think there are some tactical alternatives if he's injured and I'm not giving up on Kellen Acosta growing into a Tyler Adams Lite (Kellen stills shows a good trajectory for improvement even after an age where that curve starts to flatten for most players), you're 100% correct that he's become the most indispensable player in the pool. I think we've got young, talented back-up options ate every position that won't see much drop-off (Brooks is the only one possibly close in this regard), but our best 11 requires a healthy Adams managing the center of the park in front of Brooks and McKenzie. Honestly, I think we saw against Costa Rica that even Brooks is somewhat expendable with a healthy Adams in the #6 role. He makes the defense better and the offense better in a way no other player in the pool and no other position on the pitch can do.

dawg

Can any Arsenal fans tell me about Granit Xhaka? And finally, Andiamo Italia!

Maddeningly inconsistent, at least when he wore our shirt. Wenger chose him over a lad from Caen in Ligue 1 by the name of Ngolo Kante. Yeah, not Wenger's most shining moment in the transfer market. He'd be world class one week, all over the place the next several. He's also a bit prone to the "red mist" and will pick up an unnecessary yellow card here and there.

That said, his inconsistency I think has more to do the the lack of structure and coherence currently in the Arsenal side (go scheiss yourself with rusty barebed wire, Kroenke, and get the scheiss out of our club). He'd do well in a defined role. He'll be missed.

dawg

I don't know much about the current Roma set up or what role he'd slot in to, but most Gooners harbor him no ill will and wish Xhaka well.

Eight

I missed what exactly happened but a Danish player is currently getting CPR on the field. This looks really really bad. Players in tears everywhere.

watching and hope for the best.

glad some common sense was used in allowing the significant other/ wife/ family member to come down on the pitch

think the broadcast crew has shown a high degree of decorum that often gets trampled upon in these moments