• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

@Chongo94 I know you're opposed to adding another streaming service, but I'd recommend jumping on the next 247Sports 75% off flash sale and getting an annual subscription. That way you get inside info from Jeremy Clark for TCU football and you get free access to Paramount +. This crew is worth the hassle for USMNT WC qualifying coverage.

Im glad you mentioned this @Purp because I was starting to loosen my detest for another. But I was wondering on the whole paramount + thing…..so that is in addition to Apple TV + or cbs whatever or what?

If I did it I would like to bundle but that one seems a bit more convoluted than the Disney/Espn/Hulu one.

Purp

Im glad you mentioned this @Purp because I was starting to loosen my detest for another. But I was wondering on the whole paramount + thing…..so that is in addition to Apple TV + or cbs whatever or what?

If I did it I would like to bundle but that one seems a bit more convoluted than the Disney/Espn/Hulu one.
Paramount + is the same thing that CBS All Access was. It's just a rebrand to add movies and Paramount Network shows to the service. I never subscribed to CBS All Access or Paramount +. I just had the 247 sub and used those credentials to activate the streaming service. And I've never paid full price for 247. I might go a month or two sometimes with a lapsed subscription bc they always offer huge discounts if you're willing to wait.

Chongo94

Paramount + is the same thing that CBS All Access was. It's just a rebrand to add movies and Paramount Network shows to the service. I never subscribed to CBS All Access or Paramount +. I just had the 247 sub and used those credentials to activate the streaming service. And I've never paid full price for 247. I might go a month or two sometimes with a lapsed subscription bc they always offer huge discounts if you're willing to wait.

Ohhhh. Well dang, that actually does sound like a good deal. I have been annoyed at not being able to see the Jeremy Clark info numerous times.

Purp

Ohhhh. Well dang, that actually does sound like a good deal. I have been annoyed at not being able to see the Jeremy Clark info numerous times.
I broke down several years ago a bought a 1 year sub at 75% off and thought it to be a good value. I end up getting credit card numbers changed often enough that the auto renewal gets charged to an invalid card so I just let it lapse until a new discount promo is announced. A couple years ago they announced the free access to CBS All Access so I activated it and never watched it unless Champions League was on. Now it's got better content as Paramount +.

Moose Stuff

ESPN has a story up on their main page about this game. Except that the headline and major theme of the article is about the homophobic slur that stopped the game and not the actual game.

Purp

ESPN has a story up on their main page about this game. Except that the headline and major theme of the article is about the homophobic slur that stopped the game and not the actual game.
Wouldn't expect anything else from ESPN. Once I get caught up on work today I'm going to enjoy reading everything on the internet about this game. Only thing that would have made that game better would have been a dos a cero win for the Yanks. That really would have triggered Mexican fans.

Chongo94

Saw that last night. So typical.
Gooch also had to apologize on air last night for what he said to Farias.

Purp

This was fun to read through. One thing I forgot to mention last night was a parallel I noticed between some of the current young players getting into Mexico's heads the way Landon Donovan always did. For LD he spoke fluent Spanish so he was always chirping at them in their own language while he always seemed to get the last laugh on the pitch too. These guys give Mexico a little bit of the nasty back and the fact that the taunts and shenanigans don't intimidate the kids gets into their heads.

What really elevated the U.S. rivalry with Mexico was a Yanks side who could compete with them, even at Azteca, and a poster boy for them to hate. I think the rivalry is back now. We can clearly compete now A team versus A team, but I think last night changed the tide of psychological superiority too. The kids won, but they all know they have the ability to play WAY better. They won anyway, though, so that gives them tons of confidence. On the flip side, Mexico knows the Yanks didn't play as well as they could, that they're still very young and only going to get better, and that there's no backing down from a challenge in this group. Next time these teams meet Mexico will be the ones coming in with the phycological uncertainty. I hope things stay that way for the next decade. These kids are fun to watch and most haven't even hit the primes of their careers.

I'm going to rewatch the game when I get home tonight. My boys were in bed before I started it and they need to get baptized into the rivalry.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/usmnt-embrace-chaos-mexico-nations-league/1ci59ghadpct61iz9ynigduj8k

Last edited:

Chongo94

Costa Rica has really fallen on hard times unless they are missing a bunch of guys. They suck.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering that as well. This lineup apparently has 7 home based players and they did change some guys from their last game but I don’t know how many could be considered regular starters or what.